• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • evsnova74

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Near-east Indy
    I've been doing a ton of research on AR's lately, complete noob to all guns but it's starting to make more sense little by little. Youtube videos of assembly of AR's don't intimidate me in the least, so I was looking at the PSA kits and am on the fence on a couple things.

1- Light profile or A2 profile? I'm pretty sure I know the trade-offs, but what would/did you get and why?

2- If I decide on A2 profile, standard mid-length or mock dissipator mid-length? The mock dissipator seems pretty awesome, but is there any reason I shouldn't go that direction? Again, I've read all about it, but at this point I'm interested in why others with more experience made the decision they did. Or perhaps someone got one and regretted it, that sort of thing.

Just for reference, here are the links of the 3 kits I've got it narrowed down to:
    16'' Hammer Forged Mid-Length Light Profile Rifle Kit - Rifle Kits - AR-15

16'' Hammer Forged Mid-Length Rifle Kit - Rifle Kits - AR-15

16'' Hammer Forged Mid-Length Mock Dissipator Rifle Kit - Rifle Kits - AR-15

Of course any other suggestions are welcome as well. Thanks!

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    Barrel profile is personal preference. If you're going to be humping your rifle long distances, ounces turn into pounds, and it sucks to carry too much weight. I just can't stand the look of them. At the same time, I don't run full-auto, so I probably never realize the full benefit of my standard profile barrels. (since you're new - the cut-out notch on M4-profile barrels is for a M203 gerrrnaade launcher)

(in the interest of transparency, I have a PSA mid-mock mid-length dissy on order, and the wait is killing me. my other rifles are making fun of the naked lower)

I want to try out the mid-length gas system. Reports are that it cycles more smoothly, and is a better gas system for a 16" barrel. I've always had an attraction to the aesthetics of the dissipator style, and appreciate that it gives a rifle-length sight plane. Read the rest of the benefits at PSA's site. The drawback is, that it requires patience, as they are popular. Being inexpensive, and of evidently high quality, almost all of PSA's stuff is in high demand, and this is becoming somewhat of a flagship product for them.

These are just my opinions, get what you want. For the money, you can't really go wrong. Admit now that you're going to keep learning, and wanting, and will probably never be completely satisfied. :ar15:

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    i built a PSA a few months back and i went with the second one you have posted. I have to say it is an EXCELLENT rifle. Very accurate and cycles well...good and smooth too. The trigger is good but i may change out to a 2 stage just because i cant leave things alone LOL. I would buy one again in a heartbeat no questions asked.

evsnova74

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Near-east Indy
    Ouch, looks like the prices went up, like today. :( I guess I'm leaning towards the dissy kit even though it's the most expensive between the 3 now... time to order and play the waiting game.

evsnova74

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Near-east Indy
    Can a stripped lower be acquired locally? Is that something any LGS's stock by chance? I've been scanning the classifieds hoping something pops up but nothing in my price range has as of yet. I just want to have everything I need when this shows up... We should have a "Current PSA wait time" thread. lol

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    Can a stripped lower be acquired locally? Is that something any LGS's stock by chance? I've been scanning the classifieds hoping something pops up but nothing in my price range has as of yet. I just want to have everything I need when this shows up... We should have a "Current PSA wait time" thread. lol

Took me right at two weeks, from order to doorstep. I was pleasantly surprised.

Bradis usually has stripped lowers of some brand or another. I would be surprised if there aren't others around.

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    Mine took right at 2 weeks also. My lower showed up within 3 or 4 days but the rest of the stuff took 2 weeks. As far as getting lowers locally it can be done but the price difference is next to nothing and like was said before....Bradis normally has some and you see them around fairly often

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Youtube videos of assembly of AR's don't intimidate me in the least, so I was looking at the PSA kits and am on the fence on a couple things. FYI, the best assembly videos I've seen are on cheaperthandirt's youtube channel. You've probably already got some good videos, but I think theirs are excellent references.

1- Light profile or A2 profile? I'm pretty sure I know the trade-offs, but what would/did you get and why?

Personally, a fatter barrel is a stiffer barrel which leads to being more accurate. I'm an accuracy junkie so I think the extra weight is worth it. For a 16" barreled AR you're really not adding a whole lot of weight. If you were sticking a bull barrel on a M1 Garand and humping that around I think you'd have something to complain about. Otherwise the weight is negligable.

2- If I decide on A2 profile, standard mid-length or mock dissipator mid-length? The mock dissipator seems pretty awesome, but is there any reason I shouldn't go that direction? Again, I've read all about it, but at this point I'm interested in why others with more experience made the decision they did. Or perhaps someone got one and regretted it, that sort of thing.

The gold standard of AR's (colt 6920) runs off of a carbine length gas system and they work just fine. The mid lengths also run just fine and seem to be the new flavor of the day because they also work. I have a delton dissipator with the full length gas system and I've never had any problems with it, but if you read on the internet long enough you'll find people who've had problems with everything. Most people that don't like the full length gas system don't like it as a specification, not because they used one and had problems.

I've got a PSA completed lower just waiting for the PSA upper of my choice and for me I'm going to try their stainless 223 wylde chambered upper. That chamber allows 223 & 5.56 ammo. The barrels are made by the same company who makes the competition barrels for the rock river national match rifles, so I'm expecting that the upper should be very accurate with a improved trigger, match ammo, and a decent scope. I'm going to buy that upper in hopes to make it a compact precision rig. I'm also looking forward to adding a mid-length gas system gun to herd. I don't think you're going to go wrong with anything that says PSA on the side of it, but that's the logic behind my future purchase from PSA.

evsnova74

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Near-east Indy
    I hate when a thread like this ends with no follow up and especially no pics :D. Took exactly 2 weeks from clicking submit to my doorstep. I got a DTI lower from ITP for $100, a Troy DOA folding rear sight off Feebay for a little over 100. Took me about an hour, but most of that time was spent searching for tools. I used the cheaperthandirt channel's playlist on lower assembly. Pics as promised:

545729_418972521459473_100000401870632_1339010_1529774688_n.jpg

317955_418972664792792_100000401870632_1339011_373216138_n.jpg

36492_418972384792820_100000401870632_1339009_114387516_n.jpg

Better late than never....

Top Bottom