• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Z-Glock23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2010
    Highland,IN
    Alright guys, I got the money saved up and I am between two different rifles I am interested in. I need help making the final decision. I am looking at the Ruger SR556 or a Ruger Mini-14. The SR556 I have only heard good things about so far. I have talked to four different gun shops and its looking like it is gonna run me about $1500 after taxes. Although I'm still not convinced thats the cheapest I can find it, so I'm still hunting. The other is a Ruger Mini-14 that is black synthetic with a collapsable side folding m4 stock with rail system. From Budsgunshop its $668 delivered. I know these are two different sides of the price spectrum but I'm not really worried about that. I know everyone is gonna say "well get both". And I totally couldn't agree more haha. But which would be the better option to get first cause I don't know how long it may be till I can buy the other. Plus a Kimber 1911 is probably going to come somewhere inbetween them =] Let me know your opinions guys =]

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    Jasper county
    If you can affaord it, then go with the SR556. Will be a better rifle and more accurate. But if you do get a mini-14, all the money you would save compared to a sr556 would buy alot of ammo and mags.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Neither would be my first choice, but of those two, I'd take the SR556 (or ANY AR-15, really) over the Mini-14 any day of the week.
    +1

To the OP, you do realize that the SR556 is just an AR15 right?

You can get an AR15 for approximately the same price as the Mini-14. That is a simple question for me... I wouldn't touch a Mini-14.

Do you have a thing for Ruger products is that why you want the SR556?

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I like the Mini's. It will be your own decision. Personally I would get the Mini, if you do not like it, you can always sell or trade it off later and change. Get the Mini and a good used Kimber for the price you are talking about the SR556.

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Well what do you plan to use it for? You could really custom your mini with the left overs. Hell you could actually but the mini, deck it out , and surpress it :)

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I like my Mini 14. But it is what it is. Just a rugged little shooter. Not too accurate. But good for a knock about gun.

That said I'd take an AR over a MINI if that was the choice.

The Ruger 556 is a nice AR, not sure the gas piston is worth the price premium. Stag has come out with gas piston guns at a lower premium that might be worth considering too.

Z-Glock23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2010
    Highland,IN
    Yes I know the 556 is an AR. And no I don't have a thing for Ruger products. If I buy one of these it will be my first Ruger everything else I own is Browning, Glock, Smith & Wesson, and Beretta. And I was looking into the SR556 cause I heard it a very reliable gun. And I know the $1500 is cheap, but it comes with the gas piston in it already, and with the 4 rail, battle sights, pmags, and hogue grips it comes with i'd have quite a bit of money I would have to buy in upgrades whereas the 556 comes with them all on it. Then I just have to save up for an EoTech.

Top Bottom