• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • walthergirl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2012
    Newton County
    I am a small frame female with small hands and I am having trouble finding a hand gun that fits my hands comfortably, other than a 22LR, wanting something more powerful. Any suggestions would be great.

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Bersa thunder .380. My wifes first gun and she loved it. Not saying this is the one for you but at least consider it.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    1911's & many single stack 9mm pistols (my wife settled on a Ruger LC9) have a good track record with smaller hands.

Best suggestion I can give is to get to a well stocked store (or 3) and handle a bunch to see which ones seem to fit your hand. Then try to find a way to shoot 3 or 4 of the ones that fit best.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    Go to a gun show where you can walk around and handle a lot of different guns. Then pick what feels best. Some will tell you what to get, but what works for one may/will not work for someone else. For self defense, my recomendation would be at least a 9mm. But get what you feel comfortable with. A gun that is not comfortable or is difficult to shoot, is not a good choice. If you don't like it, you won't want to shoot it.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    Also, if you can get to a shop with a range. Some of the gun shops with ranges rent guns. It might be worth the time and money to do this. Talk to them and tell them what you are looking for/thinking about, and they might be able to point you in the right direction. (Don's guns is NOT the place to go. For ANYTHING.)

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I recommend finding something full size that fits your hand well, maybe something with adjustable backstraps. Don't fall into the trap of getting a smaller gun like the Ruger LCP just because it seems small and comfortable. These smallish / pocket guns are handy to carry because of their size but aren't the most comfortable to shoot repeatably as you may already know.

Welcome to :ingo: WaltherGirl...

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    You may also want to consider a J frame Smith and Wesson (all steel/stainless such as to prevent abusive recoil). With a number of different grips available and barrel lengths from approx 2 inches to 3 inches, potential for porting, and effective calibers for defense (with a lot of room between mild and harsh, both in terminal performance and recoil), you have quite a bit to work with. Then again, maybe not. There is no substitute for putting fingerprints on guns!

RandallX

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 15, 2012
    hamilton county
    you could look at the .32 acp beretta's. my wife has a bersa thunder and likes it. J frame idea could work wonderfully as well. best advice though would be to go to a few shops or a gun show and walk around and see what feels best. then, find a local shoot and try some out. best of luck.

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    Try a Ruger LC9. I have one that is my CC/EDC. I have small hands for a guy and its really almost to small for my hands. A lady i know shot mine and liked it so well she ditched her Bersa (i have a Bersa too nothing against them at all) and got the LC9 and she loves it.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I am a small frame female with small hands and I am having trouble finding a hand gun that fits my hands comfortably, other than a 22LR, wanting something more powerful. Any suggestions would be great.

If you can make it up to Lafayette, I can let you try everything from a J-frame revolver all the way up to a Desert Eagle .44mag, and a bunch in between.

I would suggest the Bersa Thunder. I just picked up two recently. One in .380, the other in .32acp.
    Both are steel-framed and as such tame recoil very nicely.

One of my favorite carry guns is an old Colt 1903 "Hammer-less" in .32acp, but those are harder to find these days, and they don't come cheap.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    First greeting to a new poster. Glad to see someone from Newton County - I was born there in Roselawn - 71 years ago. A couple of things, first try out several guns - either friends or at gun shops with ranges. If recoil is a problem with a 38 or above remember the heavier the gun in the same caliber the less the recoil. Its personal preference but I don't like any of the "plastic" guns. (I know many swear by them) . Just isn't my cup of tea. Try out some 9mm and 38's - My wife has both a .380 and a .38 special. My DIL has a 1911 .45 and a .38 spl. If your hands are quite small I would avoid shooting .357 mag or above as they may strain your wrist. Start out with plinking ammo until you are comfortable with the gun +P loads and Defense loads can really increase the recoil. IMHO, although a .32, .380 cal can do substantial damage to a person in a self defense situation and eventually kill a person, the .38 spl and larger rounds will have far quicker stopping power, (I carry a 45 Colt)

MbMinx

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    Indianapolis Area
    I have an East German Makarov that I really like. I'm about 5'-2" with small hands and it's been comfortable for me so far. The caliber is a little bit funky - 9x18 instead of plain ol' 9mm.

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    Gun show...the 380 is a calm round to shoot, even most ladies I know don't mind 9mm.
    You can find a laundry list of guns that fit those 2 calibers and most shows will have more to choose from.
    The fit is the biggest thing.

Gibster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Boone County
    Welcome...You just missed a gun show at the Tippecanoe Co. Fairgrounds last weekend.

Make trip to Applied Ballistics Systems on southside of Lafayette, north of Walmart a few blocks. All their info is on their website. They have a range (15 lanes) and renting guns at $8 per hour when I was there last fall. The evening I was there 1/3 of the people were walking in empty-handed and renting guns. Saw rental guns...Bersa Thunder 380, Ruger LC9 and revolvers too as suggested above. There were several ladies present puttin' lead down range.

They did't have huge selection of guns for sale. It would be a good place to start test firing.

Have fun and good luck.

Top Bottom