• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HuntMeister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2010
    The closer you are to center the better. but in your case i would be happy to have a 100 yard zero w/ around 10 moa from being maxed out. you dont want to zero at the extremes of the elevation. not only will it limit windage, but may cause some issues holding zero on cheaper optics.

another thing to try is lower rings, and possibly a scope w/ a 30mm tube to get a higher range of adjustment.

Thanks so much for your thoughts!
    Are Burris Zee rings considered low quality? That's what is on there now, medium heigth. I will try the swap around with the rings and see if it changes my POA any. I don't think I can go to a low ring and have enough clearance for the trigger and I would prefer not to install a hammer extension. I have the Burris Signature Zee rings in hand now and am trying to locate the inserts kit for them.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I will avoid getting into the quality ring depate. I am in a minority of what i think is the lowest quality i would go, and my "cheap" rings are on par w/ other peoples "expensive"

if it were me, the cheapest rings i will use are TSR rings.

TSR™ & TSR "W" RINGS - Brownells

but the burris rings w/ the inserts, are of good enough quality to do what you want to do. i dont know of any higher end option that has inserts w/ the ability to provide cant.

HuntMeister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2010
    I will avoid getting into the quality ring depate. I am in a minority of what i think is the lowest quality i would go, and my "cheap" rings are on par w/ other peoples "expensive"

if it were me, the cheapest rings i will use are TSR rings.

TSR™ & TSR "W" RINGS - Brownells

but the burris rings w/ the inserts, are of good enough quality to do what you want to do. i dont know of any higher end option that has inserts w/ the ability to provide cant.

Understand and you won't offend me if you say they were low quality. :)
    Thanks again for your thoughts!

HuntMeister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2010
    I have been exchanging emails with the Burris folks asking about the signature rings and told him I'm now looking for the adjustment inserts and he said he would send me a set! Thanks Burris!! :cool:

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    The Burris inserts won't help with a "cant" issue, but they will allow for easily setting up a scope, to increase the useable elevation. Not that you haven't already planned on it, but starting with the scope at mechanical zero, will be to your advantage.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    The Burris inserts won't help with a "cant" issue, but they will allow for easily setting up a scope, to increase the useable elevation. Not that you haven't already planned on it, but starting with the scope at mechanical zero, will be to your advantage.

I disagree. His issue is that the scope is "canted" to far in one direction or another preventing him from being able to attain a 100 yard zero. the rings offer the ability to provide additional "cant" in whatever direction it is needed. w/ a scope that is already oriented the correct direction it does increase the usable elevation, but in this case, it might provide ENOUGH elevation. w/out them, his setup may never be able to be zeroed at 100 yards.

I am not quite following your line of thought w/ it being an advantage to start w/ a mechanical zero. It doesnt matter where my crosshairs are in the scope tube, once its mounted boresighted and zeroed it will be set where its going to be regardless of where they were when i started. perhaps i am just misreading what you were intending to say?

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Cant error is generated when the barrel axis rotates out of the vertical plane, around the line of sight axis in either a clockwise or a counter-clockwise rotation.
    Cant Errors - Long range shooting

Cant may have a minor effect on elevation, but that's it. If the windage is ok, then cant is not an issue. If the shooter is trying to out-distance the elevation adjustment ability of a given scope, then changing the angle of the scope in the vertical plane will allow greater ranges to be obtained, by elevating the rear of the scope. Most scopes are more mechanically efficient, and more optically clear towards their mechanical center. I prefer, (and feel the scope does too) to have my scopes adjusted so that my primary shooting distance, does not require significant adjustment of the cross hairs, away from mechanical zero. If you're satisfied with your scope's cross hairs adjusted towards their extremes, then by all means have at it.

Regards

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    no, makes perfect sence now. same reason i use canted bases. just didnt make sence given the OP's situation... we are on the same page, and i agree 100 percent.

HuntMeister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2010
    Burris folks are great, adjustment inserts are on the way to me now. Best of all is they are free... :yesway:

Last edited:

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Glad Burris took care of you. I think you'll be pleased with the offsets those inserts will provide, without any chance of damaging the scope.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Burris inserts

Nice of Burris to send you a set of inserts but, unless the rings you have are Signature Zee rings, you won't be able to use them. The Sig Zee rings all have inserts and come with inserts marked "0". The rings are concave on the inside so the inserts fit into them. A set of offset inserts will be marked +5/-5, +10/-10, and +20/-20. If, for example, you put a +5 in the bottom half of the ring, you have to use the -5 in the top half.......or vice-versa.

As for quality, I have them in almost every rifle we have, from rimfires to .308, and have never had a problem with them. They will not leave marks on your scope and eliminate the need to lap rings. The inserts will accomplish the same thing lapping does.

I always understood the word "canted" to mean the crosshairs were not verticle/horizontal. :dunno:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    no, makes perfect sence now. same reason i use canted bases. just didnt make sence given the OP's situation... we are on the same page, and i agree 100 percent.

Nice of Burris to send you a set of inserts but, unless the rings you have are Signature Zee rings, you won't be able to use them. The Sig Zee rings all have inserts and come with inserts marked "0". The rings are concave on the inside so the inserts fit into them. A set of offset inserts will be marked +5/-5, +10/-10, and +20/-20. If, for example, you put a +5 in the bottom half of the ring, you have to use the -5 in the top half.......or vice-versa.

As for quality, I have them in almost every rifle we have, from rimfires to .308, and have never had a problem with them. They will not leave marks on your scope and eliminate the need to lap rings. The inserts will accomplish the same thing lapping does.

I always understood the word "canted" to mean the crosshairs were not verticle/horizontal. :dunno:

I've understood the same thing....

the canted igw is refering to is where the base is actually pointing down and not on the same plane as the barrel. basically it allows your 100yd zero to be more towards the top of the scope allowing more down travel of the recticle and allowing you to dial to zero at a longer range.

but yes a recticle that is not square is considered canted aswell. basically i understand canted to mean anything not straight. if a recticle is canted its not true horizonally and vertically, if a base is canted into not true to the bore line

HuntMeister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2010

DRob,

Good to know this will be a quality solution.
    I do have the Signature series Zee rings on the bench waiting to replace the standard Zee rings currently on the rifle. I think from now on I may just buy the Signature series for all my mounts.

Top Bottom