• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • moischmoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Noble County, IN
    I've been browsing the IC, and I'm having trouble understanding when to apply the words "and" or "or".

Take 35-47-2-1 for example:

(3) the person carries the handgun in a vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person, if the handgun is:
    (A) unloaded;
    (B) not readily accessible; and
    (C) secured in a case;

B and C are obviously linked with an "and", but what about A?
    Is A an "and", or "or"?
    But I'm most interested in the BIG QUESTION: How can one tell the difference?

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Read it like a sentence. "If the handgun is unloaded, not readily accessible, and secured in a case." My understanding of that IC is that all three must apply. IANAL. All that outlining I had to do in high school is finally paying off. Just look at it like a big outline.

moischmoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Noble County, IN
    Read it like a sentence. "If the handgun is unloaded, not readily accessible, and secured in a case."

That's easy. Perhaps, too easy. :ugh: I was confused, because I erroneously thought that the punctuation at the end of each item, determined the 'and's' or 'or's'. ( I don't even know why I thought that. Maybe I heard it in a gun store...)

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The English think so little of their native language that they don't even bother to teach it to their children.

The thing that bugs me is that in order to transport a handgun, someone without a license has to use a vehicle. They can't unload it, put it in a secure container, and then stuff it down in the bottom of a satchel and go walking down the street with it. That contingency's not covered by the law.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    The English think so little of their native language that they don't even bother to teach it to their children.

The thing that bugs me is that in order to transport a handgun, someone without a license has to use a vehicle. They can't unload it, put it in a secure container, and then stuff it down in the bottom of a satchel and go walking down the street with it. That contingency's not covered by the law.

:+1:

If you dont have your own car and dont have a LTCH I guess you have to go back home using the bus or a taxi to make it legal.

Top Bottom