Need help with cowitnessing sights for Beretta M9a4.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    I have a Beretta M9a4 with a factory Beretta RDO plate and Leupold Deltapoint Pro.
    I believe the set up is too high for me to cowitness sights. Is there anyone that has this set up and found a way to cowitness sights?
    Would a lower/smaller Trigger RMR allow me to cowitness sights?
    Are there sights that a taller than most suppressor sight?
    Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20220829_164921.jpg
      20220829_164921.jpg
      877.2 KB · Views: 7

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    uWOeOA4.jpg

I ran into this issue with a SIG P320 several years ago , you are totally hosed to be honest.

Leupold makes a rear sight that mounts to the back of the DDP, your issue is you would need a 1/2 inch tall front sight for it to work.

The Langdon method is the correct way, Beretta half assed their optics cut from the factory IMHO.

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    uWOeOA4.jpg

I ran into this issue with a SIG P320 several years ago , you are totally hosed to be honest.

Leupold makes a rear sight that mounts to the back of the DDP, your issue is you would need a 1/2 inch tall front sight for it to work.

The Langdon method is the correct way, Beretta half assed their optics cut from the factory IMHO.
    I'm going to send off a different Beretta and have Langdon optic cut it, if I can't come with a solution for this one.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I'm going to send off a different Beretta and have Langdon optic cut it, if I can't come with a solution for this one.

And even though I really enjoy my Leupold , the fact it's one of the "tallest" optics on the market currently does not help with cowhitnessing irons either unfortunately. Interested to see what you think of the Langdon system.

I wonder if Dawson Precision would make you a front sight if you could figure out what height you actually needed. They are pretty good with that stuff IMHO.

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    And even though I really enjoy my Leupold , the fact it's one of the "tallest" optics on the market currently does not help with cowhitnessing irons either unfortunately. Interested to see what you think of the Langdon system.

I wonder if Dawson Precision would make you a front sight if you could figure out what height you actually needed. They are pretty good with that stuff IMHO.
    The problem with a nonstandard tall front sight is with the price of the sight and custom holster I would need, I'm over halfway to the price of a Langdon mill work.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    The problem with a nonstandard tall front sight is with the price of the sight and custom holster I would need, I'm over halfway to the price of a Langdon mill work.

This is the correct answer IMHO , at least you tried the factory option.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    As a backup if the optic fails.
    But my main reason is when I draw I line the sights up, this puts my red dot right on top of the sights and cuts down my time having to find my red dot.
    If you are aquiring a traditional sight picture with your irons first, what's the point of the red dot? I thought the point was to increase speed by putting the dot on the target. Forgive me if this seems like a silly question, I'm just now taking a look at optics on handguns.

If it's because of failing eyesight, I do understand that. I don't have optics on any of my pistols, but am considering one for my Glock 34 MOS nightstand gun, because I wear daily contact lenses and don't sleep with them in.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    As a backup if the optic fails.
    But my main reason is when I draw I line the sights up, this puts my red dot right on top of the sights and cuts down my time having to find my red dot.
    Well, I’m not gonna answer the question you originally asked, but that question spends a lot of money that I don’t think needs to be spent.

Feel free to ignore me or my advice, but many high end trainers agree that irons should not be co witnessed.

If you’re an experienced irons shooter I believe it will be some work but once you are proficient with the dot (which is why it’s there, right?) you will actually see through the irons, not even noticing them.
    I have suppressor height irons, and regular, and guns that you have to remove the rear sight, and I don’t even see any of them. The irons (if they are there) are completely out of focus, focus is entirely on the target, that happens to have a dot floating on it.

I get that nothing I have said here helps you find the dot quicker, but it is the end goal, IMO, which is worth exactly what you paid for it.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    If you are aquiring a traditional sight picture with your irons first, what's the point of the red dot? I thought the point was to increase speed by putting the dot on the target. Forgive me if this seems like a silly question, I'm just now taking a look at optics on handguns.

If it's because of failing eyesight, I do understand that. I don't have optics on any of my pistols, but am considering one for my Glock 34 MOS nightstand gun, because I wear daily contact lenses and don't sleep with them in.
    Without correction my dot is blurry, or starburst. Glasses or contacts nice fine point. Just mentioning it as you’ll want to check that out before being disappointed.
    Maybe you already know this and know it’s better than irons you can’t see at all…?

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Without correction my dot is blurry, or starburst. Glasses or contacts nice fine point. Just mentioning it as you’ll want to check that out before being disappointed.
    Maybe you already know this and know it’s better than irons you can’t see at all…?
    I've tested low light in my house with my G34 and can barely make out the sights (Trijicon HDs) without my contacts, or not at all in some lighting. Hit the TLR-1 HL and I get a sharp enough sight picture with the distinct U-notch and front post. I'm figuring an optic will be a lot better than having to rely on activating the light for a useable sight picture, since using the light might not always be the most tactically sound thing to do, especially in constant-on mode.

I only have red dots on my carbines, and while they are not as sharply focused without my contacts in, they are a heck of a lot better than any iron sights will ever be. I use the circle + dot reticle on my optics instead of the dot alone, and I think this really helps.

Top Bottom