Need Info on Century Arms (Indiana Gunmaker)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mayor al

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Floyd/Harrison Count
    I am looking at a Century Arms revolver currently for sale. It says it was made in Greenfield , Indiana. Brass with Octigon barrel in 45-70 caliber.

Any of you old time Hoosiers know anything you care to share about the company or the reviolvers they made. I am just beginning my research, so any info will help, thank you.:dunno:

here's the revolver I am considering.-

12734.jpg

bigkahunasix

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Started out in Evansville,In. by Earl Keller and a few other investors & gun nuts. Google is your friend.....Google- Century Arms .45-70 revolver Evansville Indiana. Plenty comes up.

If you want to know about this particular revolver then PM or email me your questions.

(I am the auction house appraiser for that auction- (all their gun auctions really).

They are incredibly well built and a blast to shoot, I have owned several thru the years.

That one is in nice condition but needs a detail strip/cleaning and then a bit of simichrome polish to be good as new.

Erich

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    High Desert of New Mexico
    A used one of those sat in the case at a gun store off the Bloomington town square for the entire time I was in undergrad there, '84-'88. Seems to me I ran across one up in Indy during that time, too. You see more of them in IN than you do out here in the West - people here get excited about them. :)

Tingles are another neat made-in-IN line - he had a BP revolver and a few modifications of a single-shot frontstuffer.

bigkahunasix

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    SW Indiana
    A used one of those sat in the case at a gun store off the Bloomington town square for the entire time I was in undergrad there, '84-'88. Seems to me I ran across one up in Indy during that time, too. You see more of them in IN than you do out here in the West - people here get excited about them. :)

Tingles are another neat made-in-IN line - he had a BP revolver and a few modifications of a single-shot frontstuffer.

That one in B-ton sat there until I bought it in 1996.:D

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I went to a gun show in Owensboro onetime and a guy had a table full of Evansville made revolvers all of them original earl kellers and the sign said...display only, not for sale DON'T EVEN ASK!

mayor al

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Floyd/Harrison Count
    Thanks for the feedback, especially from Kahuna-6. I will watch this gun, but have a strong feeling it is outside my "pay-grade" for both cost and skill level.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I remember Earl with the big old stash on his face. His engraver was a real master. I can remember his name.
    The greenfield made guns were from the same machines and plans, A dentist friend of mine owned it in greenfield and they were made in the old Power plant building in greenfield.

They also made some with switchable calibers. 30-30 45-70 and 50-70 if I remember correctly.

Erich

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    High Desert of New Mexico
    That one in B-ton sat there until I bought it in 1996.

My man! Mrs. Stewart was a real nice lady. When I started reloading (because I couldn't afford to shoot otherwise), she got a couple of old counterleaners to give me some great advice to start me off. :)

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    his name is mike dubber and he still engraves here in evansville

http://www.firearmsengraving.com/

he's done work for the who's who of firearms owners and manufacturing,colt smith and wesson, stormin Norman Schwarzkopf,king juan carlos of spain

and yes he is a master engraver!

Add in Bob Knight as he, General Schwarzkopf, and King Juan Carlos used to hunt pheasant together.

Top Bottom