• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Naandme

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2014
    Muncie
    I have a .358 wsm/in built on a remington 700. I have bought the custom dies from hornady. I have reloaded various other rounds ( handguns, .270 win, 7mm rem mag, 300 win mag) so I have experience in reloading. I am looking for any reload data ( powder, powder weights, bullets, etc) any info would be much appreciated on this wildcat round. Thanks

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Did you find out who made it or which version you have when you bought the rifle and dies?

Search in the wildcat section at shootersforum.com - I believe D Grant and Big Bore have done this wildcat, but the grant version has a short neck.

If you have the BFG version then he may have data he would share.

Other than that you'll need to ask the person who specified the particular chamber for your rifle, since there's no way of knowing your particular chamber or die specs.

If that isn't possible, measure the water capacity of a fired case and hope it's close to the .35 Whelen or .35/.284.

If you don't have fired case, you'll need to form and trim a piece of brass using your dies, and measure the water capacity and go from there.

Naandme

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2014
    Muncie
    Kludge, appreciate the info I actually found out what I needed as far as the powder and powder weight. Loaded up 12 today and all went well now it's just a matter of fine tuning and finding the load and bullet I like.

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    Glad you found it. The variations make it hard to share data. I have the Penrod version and H322 works well.

vernw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2015
    Dallas now born Indy
    I own a 35x325WSM 1.8" built by David White in Vinida, OK on a custom built Rem 700 set up as a single shot w/ 24" heavy barrel. Mine has a 0.200" neck and same shoulder as Brian's 358 BFG 1.625 (I own that Encore setup as well).
    Using fairly hot (BR2 primers just starting to flatten out on the edges, no crater) and Barnes 180 gr. TTSX bullets i'm getting right at 3000 fps across my pact chrono using Reloader 10X powder. Problem is I'm suspecting large temp variances between home in the Dallas, TX area and my annual trip back home to IN to hunt with my dad and brother-in-law.

Anyone recommend a more temperature tolerant powder in a relatively close burn rate?

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I own a 35x325WSM 1.8" built by David White in Vinida, OK on a custom built Rem 700 set up as a single shot w/ 24" heavy barrel. Mine has a 0.200" neck and same shoulder as Brian's 358 BFG 1.625 (I own that Encore setup as well).
    Using fairly hot (BR2 primers just starting to flatten out on the edges, no crater) and Barnes 180 gr. TTSX bullets i'm getting right at 3000 fps across my pact chrono using Reloader 10X powder. Problem is I'm suspecting large temp variances between home in the Dallas, TX area and my annual trip back home to IN to hunt with my dad and brother-in-law.

Anyone recommend a more temperature tolerant powder in a relatively close burn rate?

VernW from Dallas, TX...seems like I know a guy who fits that description. :)

You're having issues with velocity from the RL10X loads? I use that powder in my 358GNR, under the 180gr SSSP, and haven't noticed major changes. How long have you had the 1.8" version?

vernw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2015
    Dallas now born Indy
    VernW from Dallas, TX...seems like I know a guy who fits that description. :)

You're having issues with velocity from the RL10X loads? I use that powder in my 358GNR, under the 180gr SSSP, and haven't noticed major changes. How long have you had the 1.8" version?

Yep, it's me, Bro! LOL

Had the 35x325 WSM from DavidW for a ittle over 2 years now. Was planning to use it in 2013 when I had the accident on the way back there. Hence it was too heavy for this one armed man to use lsst year and I carried the Encore 358 BFG instead and my son carried Kong. But with the weather lsst year none of us saw ANYTHING opening weekend.

My concern is the last batch loaded up was 45-75 fps spreads and vertically stringing. It could be an old and possibly frozen and thawed primers issue, so I should probably start there with new BR2's and maybe some Federal Magnum Match primers I've had tucked away....

Switching to email since I owe you a reply anyway :)

vernw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2015
    Dallas now born Indy
    Got to be careful here - notice I've got a really short necked case to get as much case volume out of the 1.8" length as possible. No guarantee this will work in your gun, my chamber is a one-off hand cut one and is likely different than yours. I've also got a long Weatherby-like free bore in mine.

That being said, it my custom Rem 700, I've been able to load up to 57 grains of Rel-10X with the Barnes 180 gr. TTSX seated with the base of the bullet at the bottom of the case neck (COL approx 2.78") and almost no pressure signs on the BR-2 primers. I can still even see the little "B" on fired primers. Since my rifle is a single shot I don't worry about crimping the case, and I've not had any bullets shift while riding in a butt stock ammo band. If you try this load I'd drop 10 percent and work up slowly from there.

Rstraw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2015
    Poseyville
    Thanks Vern. My is different from your. Mine has a 30* shoulder and longer neck. I think 45gr is going to be my starting point and work up.

vernw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2015
    Dallas now born Indy
    Per Qload instructions, have you weighed the max amount of water you can get in a fired but not resized case? To get this weight do not try and stop or guess when it's level with the case mouth, let it bulge up to the max it will hold. I need to check mine again but I think mine is right at 69.5 gr

Nathanr73

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2015
    Bloomfield
    Thanks Vern. My is different from your. Mine has a 30* shoulder and longer neck. I think 45gr is going to be my starting point and work up.

I'm new to this site but I own a 358 wsm in. Built by s an s gun smithing out of Hagerstown ind. It's built on a 700 action. 21 inch Douglas barrel, boyd stock, it's a fine piece. Shoots way far better then I ever dreamed. I shoot 180 gr ttsx barnes 200 gr tsx barnes an a 200gr ftx. Hornady. With around 56.7 grains h4895. In the 180gr. 200 gr is just a smidgen less . Just wondering how well every one else's are shooting an what kinda powders an loads they are shooting....

Top Bottom