• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I am contemplating the purchase of a muzzle-loader. I was into them in the early 90's, but got all "starry eyed" over military rifles and dumped muzzle-loading. Well I am over military weapons now and muzzle-loaders continue to turn my head even though it has been years. I like traditional muzzle-loaders not the in line type. I have my eye on a Traditions Pennsylvania percussion 50 cal long rifle. 1/66 twist which means round ball,which is what I am after. I am pretty sure that Traditions has not made this model I am currently looking at since maybe 1997? I could be wrong though? Anyway...does anyone out there have any input or experience with this particular make and model of muzzle loading rifle? I will not be hunting with it just shooting it for fun. Any input is appreciated. Thank you:)

pilgrim

Plinker
    May 5, 2012
    Columbus
    I don't have any experience with the Traditions rifles but Cabela's list a few Traditions models plus Pedersoli under traditional rifles.

ScouT6a

Master
    Mar 11, 2013
    For your intended purpose, the Traditions rifle will serve you well. Nice thing about percussion rifles is you can shoot with a cleaner burning, readily available Black Powder substitute such as Pyrodex or loose Triple 7.
    If you are looking at a used rifle, check the condition of the bore very closely. You'll want a drop down bore light to get a good look.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    BP subs..... you might want to go from #11 to musket cap for possible gain in consistency.
    FWIW I've shot 3 TC Renegades, 1 New Englander and 1 Hawken, all shot roundball well after being broke in.
    All had 1 in 48 twist, none had QLA.

My current Hawken has QLA and I wish it didn't, was tempermental but that possibly due to most testing having #11 and BP subs.
    All the others ran reg FFg black from Goex.

This rig supposedly of decent rep, slow twist for roundball
    Lyman Products Your Primary Source for Reloading Equipment

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I have only one MZ now, and doubt I buy another.
    Kinda neat, not often seen..............

not mine, just a pic from the web............TC Hawken Silver Elite.
    Buddy has a Cougar he still teases me about, wants too much for that.

70f8b01037ca4b8d7bdd1eed662437b0.jpg

ScouT6a

Master
    Mar 11, 2013
    20140331_230522_zps2sloffyo.jpg.html

Here is my current lineup of front stuffers. I built three of them. Didn't build the Jacob Dickert with the brass patch box. Left to right. .36, .50, .45, .62 cal

Attachments

• 20140331_230522.jpg
      20140331_230522.jpg
      143.5 KB · Views: 12
    • 20140331_230522_zps2sloffyo.jpg
      20140331_230522_zps2sloffyo.jpg
      129 KB · Views: 10

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    My dad had a 36cal. muzzleloader and a 36cal. cap and ball pistol he use to hunt squirrels with, Both used 101 primers and shot round balls.... Now I have them but don't hunt with them just target shooting maybe once a year and believe it or not they shoot really good..... There are alot of old muzzleloaders around shouldn't be to hard to find a used one ?

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    20140331_230522_zps2sloffyo.jpg.html

Here is my current lineup of front stuffers. I built three of them. Didn't build the Jacob Dickert with the brass patch box. Left to right. .36, .50, .45, .62 cal

Thanks for the pictures. Those are really nice muzzle loaders:yesway:.

sun

Marksman
    Aug 29, 2011
    Connecticut
    The Traditions Pennsylvania Rifle is still being sold in both percussion and flint versions. They're known for being quite accurate rifles due to their 40 inch barrel and long sight radius. Just be sure to buy from a reputable seller that has a return or exchange policy in case it doesn't meet your expectations after you receive it. The percussion model would probably be more reliable than the flint version.

Traditions Pennsylvania Flintlock Rifle - 264886, Black Powder Rifles at Sportsman's Guide

https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/category/Pennsylvania-Rifle

emmo

Plinker
    Apr 7, 2013
    Georgetown
    I have a Traditions that I bought back in the early 90"s. I don't know the model, but it was built on the order of a Hawken style (sort of). I've used it only for deer hunting and have never had an issue. It will out shoot my ability. Emmo

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    The Traditions Pennsylvania Rifle is still being sold in both percussion and flint versions. They're known for being quite accurate rifles due to their 40 inch barrel and long sight radius. Just be sure to buy from a reputable seller that has a return or exchange policy in case it doesn't meet your expectations after you receive it. The percussion model would probably be more reliable than the flint version.

Traditions Pennsylvania Flintlock Rifle - 264886, Black Powder Rifles at Sportsman's Guide

https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/category/Pennsylvania-Rifle

Sun, Thank you very much for the update on the Traditions Pennsylvania rifle. Glad to know they are still in production. I also found them on Midway USA for $677.00 for percussion and a little more for flintlock. Always wondered why flintlock cost more? Anyway thanks again for the info. Much appreciated. This site is great.:ingo:

ScouT6a

Master
    Mar 11, 2013
    In lower end production rifles, such a CVA and Traditions, the percussion lock will be more reliable for casual shooting.
    A high quality flint lock ($125-145 for the lock alone) will out perform a percussion lock, hands down, in the long run. A properly tuned flintlock will be imperceptible in speed of ignition against a percussion lock. After long stretches of firing both types of ignition, when they get fouled, a percussion lock requires cleaning of the nipple and powder drum internals. This means nipple pick, nipple wrench, screw driver and time. A flint lock can be wiped down, all externally, in about 10-15 seconds and you are up and shooting again. Us flintlock shooters call percussion guns "cap guns" for a reason.
    The flint ignition system was king of the hill for about 250 years, the percussion system, only about 40 years.
    Have fun.

45fan

Master
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    BP subs..... you might want to go from #11 to musket cap for possible gain in consistency.
    FWIW I've shot 3 TC Renegades, 1 New Englander and 1 Hawken, all shot roundball well after being broke in.
    All had 1 in 48 twist, none had QLA.

My current Hawken has QLA and I wish it didn't, was tempermental but that possibly due to most testing having #11 and BP subs.
    All the others ran reg FFg black from Goex.

This rig supposedly of decent rep, slow twist for roundball
    Lyman Products Your Primary Source for Reloading Equipment

Another option to increase reliability when burning Pyrodex, run Pyrodex P instead of the usual RS. The finer powder ignites easier, and gives more reliable ignition. Way back when I first made the switch from BP to Pyrodex my rifle proved finicky with the RS, and P resolved the issue without any other adjustments (other than a charge weight adjustment). Pyrodex P might prove a bit easier to locate than the less common musket caps.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I tried Pyrodex many moons ago and hated it.
    Have run other BP subs off and on the last few yrs, and settled on T7 a couple back.
    With the musket cap my Hawken does OK.............but I still hate that $#@^ QLA ;)

BTW, musket caps have been easy to get. At least when I order them.
    Did donate 1/2 a can to a guy who ran out, right before season LOL......twice (different customers of friend's shop).

Jbow

Plinker
    Feb 9, 2014
    Muncie
    I have two muzzloader a right now. I have a savage ml2 that is smokeless if you can get ur hands on one that is the way to go but they are hard to find. I also hunt with a cva accura mr. I love this gun. It kicks a lot harder than the smokeless but it is a tack driver out to 150.

Top Bottom