• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wintram

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    My family and I have recently purchased a 30 acre tract of Woods in west central Indiana. Problem is it has a lot of vines. It's not old growth probably 20 or so years mostly maple and locust. Not sure if I should log some of it to help clear out the vine problem and off set some cost or just give the boy a machete and hope for the best. I am hesitant about talking to log buyers without getting all my facts straight. Any advise?

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Machetes and vines go well together--it's a cheap solution and will keep your boy busy and out of trouble for quite a while. I hope none of them are poison ivy though! Been down that road when I was a kid, clearing a lot that was overgrown with "innocent" vines that turned out to be very vile and very very nasty to take care of without getting covered.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Down south, kudzoo is a problem...a very bad problem. I'd heard of folks bringing goats out and letting them work on them. I don't have first hand knowledge but if your property is fenced already, it might be worth a try...if you have some time to let them work.

wintram

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Definately not poison ivy or kudzu. Not sure what the proper name is but it's a woody vine ranging in all sizes from approx 6 inches in diameter to 1/2 inch. And unfortunately no fence for goats

KJW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Lamb's Crossing
    You're probably describing what is known as (wild) grape vine. It will just grow back if all you do is cut it. Spray the cut ends with a 20% concentration of glyphosphate. Get it off your desirable trees first.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    20 year old maples and locust won't bring much $ so I personally wouldn't log it.

If or when you decide you are ready to log, hire a forester to work the sale for you. He will talk to the buyers, not you. He will hire the loggers, trucks, get you more $, because the more $ you make, the more $ he makes.

As to the vines, cut and apply an herbicide that will work on the vine. I'd use tordon rtu instead of glyphosate.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Cut the vines off of the higher value trees and leave the rest, they are good food for wildlife.

nkhrfh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    My pheasant hunting partner is an independent forestry consultant. Like bocefus said, they handle all of it. PM me if you decide to go that route and I will get you in touch.

farmerdan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    Down south, kudzoo is a problem...a very bad problem. I'd heard of folks bringing goats out and letting them work on them. I don't have first hand knowledge but if your property is fenced already, it might be worth a try...if you have some time to let them work.

When we had some property out past Coverdale we bought three pygmy goats and I set enough fence post to move them around a few acres at a time and they cleaned up everything they could reach. Once it was all cleared we sold them . They are escape artist but are worth the trouble.

BStarkey 46947

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    All good advice so far.

In the winter I mix 8-10% Crossbow or generic Crossroads with kerosene and apply a soaking at the base of invasive species and vines. The plants need to be in dormancy for this method to work and it is much cooler than Spring/Summer work.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake

AndrewG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2016
    Brownsburg
    I had a similar situation when I move in to my house but only had to deal with 3 acres. Easier to deal with when the leaves haven't popped as one can walk around quickly and less chance to get poison ivy. Lopping shears and an axe for the bigger ones. Every time I went for walk, I chopped and painted. 30 acres is a lot more.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    Cut the vine close to the ground and apply tordon, pathway, garlon or a 50/50 mix of glyphosate to the stump. Best time to treat is September/October, this time of year the root system is storing nutrients and sucks the herbicide down and you'll get a good kill. Like mentioned above a mix of garlon4 and basal oil and just treating the first 12" above ground will work too. The garlon4 is expensive juice.

Top Bottom