Need Legal help for firearms possession.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    My nephew just turned 21 a couple of weeks ago and wanted his own rifle for Christmas.
    Problem:
    His dad (brother in law) has a non violent felony from about 20 years ago and is NOT allowed to have firearms in his home or possession?
    My nephew still lives with his parents and I'm holding his rifle until I get specific direction about him being able to take it home.
    Does his parent's felony prohibit him from having a firearm in his possession?

adam

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Noblesville
    I *think* that he can have it as long as he can prove that his dad has no ability to access the gun. BUT, I'm not a lawyer, it's just what I've read about the subject. Someone should be along to give you the lawyer's answer.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yeah, I recall something similar a while back. One thing that was pointed out was that it is very hard if not impossible to prove a negative... that dad DOESNT know the combination to the kid's safe.

Regardless, I think "not in the home" is "not in the home". Not "in the home but not accessible to the person."

IANAL, but if it were me, I would continue to hold for him until he moves out. But by all means, seek legal counsel before introducing it into the prohibited space.

EDIT: To be clear, its OK for the kid to have it. Its NOT OK for it to be in his dad's home.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    He's wanting me to let him take it home and I told him no. Flat out. I was pretty sure he couldn't take it home. I'm sure there wouldn't be any potential misuse or problems if I let him take it home BUT I don't want to take any chances something might come up and legalities might enter into his life over it. Also, I sure don't want those types of legalities entering into my life either.
    The gun stays in my safe for him until the day he moves out OR shows me proof he can have the rifle with him.
    Again with the IANAL but I think caution is the word here.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    My nephew just turned 21 a couple of weeks ago and wanted his own rifle for Christmas.
    Problem:
    His dad (brother in law) has a non violent felony from about 20 years ago and is NOT allowed to have firearms in his home or possession?
    My nephew still lives with his parents and I'm holding his rifle until I get specific direction about him being able to take it home.
    Does his parent's felony prohibit him from having a firearm in his possession?
    Kinda, it doesn't prohibit him from having it in his possession, but it does prohibit his father from having it in a place that would be constructive possession under federal law. He can jump through all the hoops of having it stored in such a way that his father can't possess it for legal purposes, or his dad can go and get an Indiana expungement and clear up the whole thing pretty easily. (Assuming it is an Indiana felony offense.)

Where is the felony out of and what for? It is unlikely that Indiana law is the issue, but federally any felony is going to cause problems.

Last edited:

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    I would second the expungement and err on the caution side of things, especially if there could be some kind of legal ramifications for yourself. Like has been hinted at before it's hard to prove that he doesn't give access to anyone else. Being under someone's roof would probably be 'proof' enough of having some sort of access

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Yes Siree...INGO (or any other gun forum) is the best place for legal advice. Perhaps, you can employ one of the legal scholars/experts to represent you.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Brother in law needs to talk to an attorney as soon as possible in order to seek potential relief from his disability.

Your nephew may own (have title), but it is within his best interest to keep it off the property of the brother in law (this includes motor vehicles which your brother in law may access).

Treat the disease, not the symptom.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Kinda, it doesn't prohibit him from having it in his possession, but it does prohibit his father from having it in a place that would be constructive possession under federal law. He can jump through all the hoops of having it stored in such a way that his father can't possess it for legal purposes, or his dad can go and get an Indiana expungement and clear up the whole thing pretty easily. (Assuming it is an Indian felony offense.)

Where is the felony out of and what for? It is unlikely that Indiana law is in the issue, but federally any felony is going to cause problems.

I'm sure he's never lived anywhere but Indiana but I'm not 100% sure the felony isn't federal.
    So, IF I understand correctly he can take possession of it but it has to be well secured to keep it away from his father accessing it?

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Yes Siree...INGO (or any other gun forum) is the best place for legal advice. Perhaps, you can employ one of the legal scholars/experts to represent you.

I tend to gravitate towards the ones that say "IANAL". They seem to possess the most knowledge. "I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express" holds weight with me as well.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Brother in law needs to talk to an attorney as soon as possible in order to seek potential relief from his disability.

Your nephew may own (have title), but it is within his best interest to keep it off the property of the brother in law (this includes motor vehicles which your brother in law may access).

Treat the disease, not the symptom.
    I strongly agree with this advice! Consult an attorney like Guy Relford who regularly advises on firearms laws. I would bet the advice is to keep the weapon away from the brother in law - period. Like Kirk said off the property, motor vehicles, etc. Generally possession means within a person's area of control i.e.- house, car, apartment, etc. Do not take any chances, consult an attorney.

Top Bottom