• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Andrew68

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2011
    I got a little Christmas money, on a tight budget and would like a Mosin. Should I buy one at the local gun shop for $139 or go to the gun show? What prices caan I expect at the Indy 1500? Is it worth the time, the drive and the parking/entry fee if that is all I am looking for?

Where can a guy shoot one on around the West side of Indy? THANKS!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I got a little Christmas money, on a tight budget and would like a Mosin. Should I buy one at the local gun shop for $139 or go to the gun show? What prices caan I expect at the Indy 1500? Is it worth the time, the drive and the parking/entry fee if that is all I am looking for?

Where can a guy shoot one on around the West side of Indy? THANKS!
    Bradis will be getting more in soon. I believe they're expecting around 40, so they will have a good selection. As far as shooting one? Nowhere in Marion County unfortunately.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Two good places to look are Bradis, I bought one for my son there for Christmas. And Indy Trading Post, bought mine there. Sometimes the 1500 has good deals on the Mosins. If you go the 1500 route be sure and go through the entire show first. Saw a gut pay nearly $160.00 for a beat up Mosin when there was nice re-arsenaled ones for $110.00 in the "Ammo Room".

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    Patronize local shops unless they are just plain jerks. Most locals will work with you on the price, especially if you have bought from them before and if they know there is a show coming to town soon. Look for all matching serial numbers on everything. The sling, oil cans, and tool kit should all be included. Look for the Hex Reciever, be patient, they are not to hard to find.

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    Re-finishing

There is a lot of good information and guidance in buying mosins on the internet. Personally I want mine to be worth something when I am dead and gone and they are in the hands of my boys. I will not re-finish mine, I want them original. If you want a really cool looking mosin to shoot all the time then go ahead and refinish it the right way. Have fun and dig into there history.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    There is a lot of good information and guidance in buying mosins on the internet. Personally I want mine to be worth something when I am dead and gone and they are in the hands of my boys. I will not re-finish mine, I want them original. If you want a really cool looking mosin to shoot all the time then go ahead and refinish it the right way. Have fun and dig into there history.
    Just one thing that I have found with mine and its original finish is that the cleaning solvents will will really do a number on that cheap commie shelac! So If you shoot it a lot and want to keep the original finish take it apart to clean. Since I really don't expect the value to skyrocket any time soon I plan to re-finish mine at some point with true oil and a natural stain, to retain the original look,

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    Bradis has good deals on Mosin Nagants, ( I drive from Lawrenceburg once a month to check out what they have) and they some times have Finn M39's at very good prices. The M39 is the one to get but they are normally around $225.00 and up, but they are well worth the money if you want a tack driving MN.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    search around like the others have said you should be able to find one for 100 bucks or so, and dont forget to factor in 80 bucks for a spam can of ammo:D

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Got mine out the door for $94 from Dunham's.
    Very fun gun to shoot, but with all the deals out there I personally wouldn't pay more than $100 for one.

rnmcguire

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    I paid $149 at Bradis but mine is a 1926 hex barrel with matching numbers in really fine shape. Maybe I paid a few bucks more but I looked at 30 or so and just found the nicest one. Look for a pre-WWII model.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    My first Mosin was a gift of sorts. Payment in kind for remodeling work done on my local gun shop/range. My brother and I were each presented with a 91/30 matching serial numbers on both, along with all of the acrutements. Sling, oil bottle, bayonet, ammo pouch...

We were also given a 440 round spam can to split between us.

I was hooked. I since found what I thought was a M44 at an auction and bout it for a decent price. Got it home and found out it was a Chinese T53 (?) instead.

Oh well, still like it.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    I spent 129 for mine. Hex receiver, 5 digit serial #, all matching. Made in 1925. Ex- dragoon with imperial russian markings. It also has a nice trigger that breaks crisp at 6 pounds. The bore is amazing also

Top Bottom