• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    My wife just got back from a trip to Nashville, TN and is chewing my ear off about how loud my Nitto Trail Grapplers have become on my truck. She's going to pay for a new set of tires but I've got to figure out which tires to go with. I want something that still has an aggressive look but don't make so much noise. I had good luck with the BFG All Terrains I had on my 2002 years ago, they were pretty quiet and held up well. Figured I'd ask around and see if anyone had any other recommendations. I have a set of Goodyear Duratracs on my Jeep and I like them as well but if I remember correctly their 35" version was very heavy.

Need something in a 35 x 18.

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    I had kelly MTs on my powerstroke and they held up pretty well for that heavy of a vehicle and they weren't terribly loud

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I have replaced two sets of Goodyear tires. First set on the Dakota didn't last 21,000. Replaced those with Toyo Open Country and was extremely impressed. Aggressive looks and extremely quiet. Second set was on our Jeep commander and those were replaced with BFGs. Goodyear doesn't seem to be making the quality product they used to.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    How aggressive of a tread pattern do you want?

I really like my BFG Mud Terrains. Likely as noisy as your current tires, though. Seem to wear well. Great off road.

My pickup has Michelin LTX tires. Not an all-terrain at all, but they do make an LTX AT/2 with a bit more aggressive pattern. The LTX is very quite and has significantly better grip than any other "highway" tread truck tire I have ever had (BFG, Firestone, and Goodyear). Wear like iron as well.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

If it were up to me I'd leave the tires on there. I don't feel like hearing about it so I've got to find a balance between something that looks good and something that is quiet. I'd like to say I need good off road performance but I don't get the truck off road all that often.

TheEngineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Down South
    I think we have the same truck (2013 Ram 1500) and I recently put a set of the BF Goodrich KO2s on mine. I really like the look, they are surprisingly quiet (i can't hear them over my exhaust), and they have handled everything that's been thrown at them (rain, snow, dirt, mud). I highly recommend them, biggest drawback being they aren't cheap.

Im on a few Ram forums and its usually a toss up between the KO2s and the Toyo Open Country AT2

2dc1b145-75cc-4551-9b34-cb30f4088e75_zpsgz1h8v73.jpg

be18daf4-5813-40c6-9ca9-ad3fa54146c4_zpshd99osiu.jpg

Last edited:

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    I would very highly recommend the General Grabber AT2's. Very similar to the BFG, but cheaper and I think are an all around better tire. I have a set of 33x12.50r15 on my mountaineer. My dad had a set of 35x12.50r18 on his f150 and he got 60k miles out of them. I will be sticking with this tire until I switch to a MT.

1175276_10200908263646226_1130769372_n.jpg

1377464_666006560077763_530115414_n.jpg

Rocketscientist

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    Valparaiso
    I've had a set of Yokohama Geolandar AT/S on my Hummer H3 for almost 4 years and they still have a ton of tread left. They are very quiet and handle very well in all NWI road conditions which tend to be extreme weather and potholes as far as the eye can see. Treadwear has been excellent as long as you keep them rotated properly. I'm actually in the market for a new set myself. These have plenty of tread life left, but they are beginning to show some dry rot between the treads, which is to be expected. I'm definitely buying these again. Best part is they are union made right here in the good ol' US of A. People can say what they want about origin country of the company itself, don't blame ya... but at the end of the day, It's American workers making an excellent tire.

For comparison, I've used Goodyear Wranglers - they came on the truck and they are downright dangerous in snow. I got rid of those as soon as possible. I've used BF Goodrich AT/KO as well as Land Terrains (don't know if they make those anymore) and I only got about a 1 1/2 to 2 years out of them tops before they were almost bald. BFG's aren't "bad" per se, but my experience is they just don't last and are way overpriced for what you get.

Whatever you do, if you choose to go to discount tire, they will price match the online price of Tire Rack... Could save ya a few bucks.

Happy shopping!
    -RS

Last edited:

Flyingbrian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    Plainfield
    Go to tirerack.com you will be able to compare to your hearts content. I bought my last set from there. To save shipping and have some fun I flew up to south bend grabbed a crew car at the airport drove over and picked them up

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

I really like my BFG Mud Terrains. Likely as noisy as your current tires, though. Seem to wear well. Great off road.

My pickup has Michelin LTX tires. Not an all-terrain at all, but they do make an LTX AT/2 with a bit more aggressive pattern. The LTX is very quite and has significantly better grip than any other "highway" tread truck tire I have ever had (BFG, Firestone, and Goodyear). Wear like iron as well.

We have the Michelin LTX Mud & Snow on my wife's Honda Pilot and I agree. They are not an AT tire, but those things have got close to 60k on them and are just now getting near needing replacement. They have been a great tire, and my wife does not take it easy on them. Got them at Discount Tire and would not go anywhere else for tires.

I think we have the same truck (2013 Ram 1500) and I recently put a set of the BF Goodrich KO2s on mine. I really like the look, they are surprisingly quiet (i can't hear them over my exhaust), and they have handled everything that's been thrown at them (rain, snow, dirt, mud). I highly recommend them, biggest drawback being they aren't cheap.

Im on a few Ram forums and its usually a toss up between the KO2s and the Toyo Open Country AT2

I have the KO2's on my FJ (it had the original KO's on it when I bought it) and I like them alot. I got the E rated. My brother in FL got the same tire on his 4Runner that same weekend, but he got the C rated as he didn't need the extra weight of an E rated tire. Aggressive looking tread and have been fine for me. I got them back in Oct. I got them at Discount Tire and got them to price match 4Wheel Parts online price which was fantastic at the time. Saved me a bunch of $ since I got 5 of them so I could do 5 tire rotations.

However a lot of folks swear that the Duratracs are the way to go for snow, etc.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I've had great luck over the years with BFG AT/KO all terrain tires.

but I've also found the key to keeping mud tires from getting loud is rotating them often, like every oil change, AND proper tire inflation pressure based on the entire tread actually contacting the ground, which is usually not the factory tire pressure.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    When I had my truck, I bought a set of BFG KM2's. I believe they were mud terrain, but I had no problems in rain, snow, sunshine, etc... they wore very well and they were considerably more quiet than any other mud terrains I have driven.

As far as good years go, yuk. When I worked at the Mitsubishi dealer, we had soooo many issues with those tires. Wear issues and noise. In my 2 years at the dealership, we probably replaced 10 or 12 sets of tires under warranty, due to noise and uneven wear. All Goodyear. You couldn't pay me enough to put goodyears on one of my vehicles.

Top Bottom