• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    I need some advice. My dentist uses a Fluoride which is pasted on the teeth. Once the Fluoride comes off the teeth, it is ingested and absorbed into the system. I have even experienced a spiking headache the one time I used it. Now, I refuse to use it (even though today the dentist started applying it without informing me; therefore I had to stop her short and let her know I didn't want it).

Here is the problem. I don't want my son to have it either. My wife, being the obediant slave she is, wants my son to have the Fluoride treatment. My argument is he can make that decision when he is an adult.

So, here is my question. What can I do to prevent my son from receiving the Fluoride treatment, even though my wife consents to the treatment (we are still married)?

(I'm not asking for a debate on Fluoride; just parental rights advice. Even I use Fluoride for my teeth, I just oppose ingesting it :D).

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Don't know the legal answer, but as a married man I can tell you until you're both on the same page on this you have other problems.

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Make sure YOU take your child to the dentist when your sons next visit comes up! Your wife can't do anything about it if she isn't there.

That being said....I don't think that's wise. You both need to sit down and talk. Make a list of pros and cons and then BOTH of you come to a formal decision on what will happen.

And listen to Archbishop. He's correct.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I think you are in a tight spot given that one parent is consenting.

Can you post the name of the product you are opposed to?

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    All of the above. Our dentist has to ask because it's one of those whacky things that insurance piddles around about. But the dentist said it's not necessary if you brush with fluoride toothpaste, drink water with it added (city water - home or school) and use a fluoride rinse a couple times a month. We choose not to. YMMV

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    I've given this some more thought, because I'm bored, and have come to another conclusion, what you're really asking is for how to prevent this legally. Which is a can of worms. As other have stated, you sit down and talk this over with your wife and go from there, but if that fails and you still are very much against this then what? Legal action against your wife? That of course wouldn't be good for the marriage.
    So this really comes down to three possible solutions.
    1. you talk it over and decide against the treatment
    2. you talk it over and decide for the treatment
    3. You talk it over get into a fight and you take legal action against you own wife. (Good luck with that.)
    There have been a few times where my wife and I have disagreed and I've had to say I understand this isn't what you want but really believe, (What ever.) Thankfully I have a pretty good wife and we are generally able to come to an understanding, if this really is a problem though I might suggest consuling as it appears there might be other issues in the marriage, but in the end I've never met you and am only taking a guess based on a small "snapshot" as you've presented it.
    Good luck

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Tell your wife what happened to you. Your kid is 50% of your DNA, and he might have a reaction as well. Your wife should not this on your son's personal form and should tell the dentist this as well. If she cared at all about the kid, she would pass on the treatment. However, some people are so ticked at the other parent, they would roll the dice just to spite the other parent. Hopefully your wife isn't one of those types.

Farmritch

Expert
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    Read up on flouride, It's been a while since I have studied it
    My opinion is it's unnecessary and the chemical does not actually do anything for teeth .
    They put it in the water? Now tell me why they would want to do that when less than 10% of the water supplied is actually drank.
    Seems kinda funny eh?
    But I am convinced your toilet bowl will not get cavities

I never had flouidated water as we moved from the city when I was 9 and back then there was no such thing.

My dads teath were terible and my moms good
    so far I still have all mine and I'm approaching 50

Find out what flouride really does is your best weapon

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    flouride_deception_150.jpg

[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]THE FLUORIDE DECEPTION[/FONT]
    [FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]By Christopher Bryson[/FONT]

In a society where asbestos, lead, silica, beryllium and many other carcinogens have found their way into the marketplace and then been recalled, one has to wonder why fluoride, so toxic it is used as a rat poison and pesticide, is embraced so thoroughly and so blindly.

"The Fluoride Deception unearths the mystery of how a grim workplace poison and the most damaging environmental pollutant of the Cold War was added to our drinking water and toothpaste. A chronicle of the abuse of power and of the manufacture of state-sponsored medical propaganda, The Fluoride Deception reveals how a secretive group of powerful industries, all of which faced extensive litigation for fluoride pollution, collaborated with officials from the National Institute of Dental Research to launder fluoride's public image."--BOOK JACKET

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    I made sure my kids didn't eat iodized salt...goiter boy is fine, very few friends and no love life but i am sure he is glad i took a stand for my beliefs.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    A Couple of things. First, you went to the dentist and I assume you had your teeth cleaned. There are many things that can upset a nerve ending and teeth have a tendency to cause pain where you would not expect. Second, you may have an allergic reaction to some agent in the coating, not necessarily the Fluoride, or you would be in pain all of the time due to exposure you get from other Fluoride sources. Your son may not be so afflicted. For instance, my Father is allergic to penicillin, I am not.

I understand your concern but you will not be able to shield your son from all Fluoride sources. Your son will be exposed to more dangerous things than Fluoride during the course of a day.

If you are concerned about a headache, then follow your wife's lead and if he gets one, just don't allow the treatment anymore. If he does, your wife will be on board. Remember, a happy wife means a happy life.

REVIEW OF FLUORIDE: BENEFITS AND RISKS

Conclusions:

Extensive studies over the past 50 years have established that individuals whose drinking water is fluoridated show a reduction in dental caries. Although the comparative degree of measurable benefit has been reduced recently as other fluoride sources have become available in non-fluoridated areas, the benefits of water fluoridation are still clearly evident. Fewer caries are associated with fewer abscesses and extractions of teeth and with improved health. The health and economic benefits of water fluoridation accrue to individuals of all ages and socioeconomic groups, especially to poor children.
    • Since the addition of fluoride to drinking water in the 1940's, other sources of fluoride have become available, including toothpastes, mouth rinses, and fluoride dietary supplements. These sources of fluoride also have proven to be effective in preventing dental caries.
    • Estimates developed for this report show that fluoride exposure is generally greater in fluoridated areas; however, there is fluoride exposure in both fluoridated and non-fluoridated areas because of the variety of fluoride sources besides drinking water. Beverages and foods are sources of fluoride, especially if they have been prepared with fluoridated drinking water.
    • Optimal fluoridation of drinking water does not pose a detectable cancer risk to humans as evidenced by extensive human epidemiological data available to date, including the new studies prepared for this report. While the presence of fluoride in sources other than drinking water reduces the ability to discriminate between exposure in fluoridated as compared to non-fluoridated communizes, no trends in cancer risk, including the risk of osteosarcoma, were attributed to the introduction of fluoride into drinking water in these new studies. During two time periods, 1973-1980 and 1981-1987, there was an unexplained increase of osteosarcoma in males under age 20. The reason for this increase remains to be clarified, but an extensive analysis reveals that it is unrelated to the introduction and duration of fluoridation.
    • There are two methodologically acceptable studies of the carcinogenicity of fluoride in experimental animals. The Procter and Gamble study did not find any significant evidence of carcinogenicity in rats and mice of either sex. In the NTP study there was no evidence of carcinogenicity in mice and in female rats. Male rats showed "equivocal" evidence of carcinogenicity based on the finding of a small number of osteosarcomas. "Equivocal" evidence is defined by NTP as "...interpreted as showing a marginal increase in neoplasms that may be chemically related" (HHS, 1990). Taken together, the data available at this time from these two animal studies fail to establish an association between fluoride and cancer.
    • By comparison with the 1940's, the total prevalence of dental fluorosis has increased in non-fluoridated areas and may have increased in optimally fluoridated areas. Such increases in dental fluorosis in a population signify that total fluoride exposures have increased and may be more than are necessary to prevent dental caries. For this reason, prudent public health practice dictates the reduction of unnecessary and inappropriate fluoride exposure.
    • In the 1940s, drinking water and food were the major sources of fluoride exposure. Since then, additional sources of fluoride have become available through the introduction of fluoride containing dental products. Although the use of these products is likely responsible for some of the declines in caries scores, the inappropriate use of these products has also likely contributed to the observed increases in the prevalence of very mild and mild forms of dental fluorosis.
    • Further epidemiological studies are required to determine whether or not an association exists between various levels of fluoride in drinking water and bone fractures.
    • Crippling skeletal fluorosis is not a public health problem in the United States, as evidenced by the reports of only five cases in 30 years. Crippling skeletal fluorosis, a chronic bone and joint disease associated with extended exposure to high levels of fluoride, has been more prevalent in some regions outside the United States.
    • Well-controlled studies have not demonstrated a beneficial effect of the use of high doses of fluoride in reducing osteoporosis and related bone fractures.
    • Genotoxicity studies of fluoride, which are highly dependent on the methods used, often show contradictory findings. The most consistent finding is that fluoride has not been shown to be mutagenic in standard tests in bacteria (Ames Test). In some studies with different methodologies, fluoride has been reported to induce mutations and chromosome aberrations in cultured rodent and human cells. The genotoxicity of fluoride in humans and animals is unresolved despite numerous studies.
    • Chronic low level fluoride exposure is nor associated with birth defects. Studies also fail to establish an association between fluoride and Down Syndrome.
    • There is no indication that chronic low level fluoride exposure of normal individuals presents a problem in other organ systems, such as the gastrointestinal, the genitourinary, and the respiratory systems. The effects of fluoride on the reproductive system merit further investigation in animal and human studies.

xamsx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    NW
    You should do some research on fluoride and present your wife with what you found.. I'm sure she'd (and probably yourself as well, for more reasons than you've established already) be entirely opposed to it's use (in your family, at least) afterwards.

"Don't drink the water".

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Just print this out and show her. If she cares at all about her son, she will pass on the fluoride treatment. My personal opinion is that the fluoride benefit is way over rated anyways.

http://www.webmd.com/cancer/news/20060406/does-fluoridation-up-bone-cancer-risk

April 6, 2006 - Boys who drink fluoridated water have an increased risk of a deadly bone cancer, a new study suggests.
    Elise Bassin, DDS, completed the study in 2001 for her doctoral dissertation at Harvard, where she now is clinical instructor in oral health policy and epidemiology. The study finally was published in the May issue of Cancer Causes and Control.
    Bassin and colleagues' major finding: Boys who grew up in communities that added at least moderate levels of fluoride to their water got bone cancer -- osteosarcoma -- more often than boys who drank water with little or no fluoride.
    The risk peaked for boys who drank more highly fluoridated water between the ages of 6 and 8 years -- a time at which children undergo a major growth spurt. By the time they were 20, these boys got bone cancer 5.46 times more often than boys with the lowest consumption. No effect was seen for girls.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    I need some advice. My dentist uses a Fluoride which is pasted on the teeth. Once the Fluoride comes off the teeth, it is ingested and absorbed into the system. I have even experienced a spiking headache the one time I used it. Now, I refuse to use it (even though today the dentist started applying it without informing me; therefore I had to stop her short and let her know I didn't want it).

Here is the problem. I don't want my son to have it either. My wife, being the obediant slave she is, wants my son to have the Fluoride treatment. My argument is he can make that decision when he is an adult.

So, here is my question. What can I do to prevent my son from receiving the Fluoride treatment, even though my wife consents to the treatment (we are still married)?

(I'm not asking for a debate on Fluoride; just parental rights advice. Even I use Fluoride for my teeth, I just oppose ingesting it :D).

Fluoride isn't good for teeth, or the body. That being said, object to it and tell/adk you wife to honor it. If it it really important to you, perhaps she will honor you and accept it.
    But, if she is in the medical field like my wife; she has had her brain washing and can't think outside the 'medical field' idiocy and I just have to tell her 'it's not going to happen' on certain things.

Top Bottom