• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • defender14

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    Fishers
    I have been researching shotguns lately and have a few questions. I have some experience with shotguns, 15+ years ago in boy scouts using pump action 20 gauge I believe shooting clay target, and last year I used my friends Mossberg 500 Cruiser at our local range.

My main reason for wanting a shotgun is home defense so I have mostly been looking at 18.5" and 20" Mossberg 500 12 gauge shotguns

BUT, while searching around I noticed that there is a trap/skeet/sporting clay range near me (less than 10 minutes away form my house and office). I have never shot trap, but it sounds like it could be a lot of fun.

I saw a Mossberg 500 combo package that comes with an 18.5" barrel as well as a 28" barrel and a regular buttstock and a pistol grip for a decent price, that would allow me to have 2 setups for the price of 1 gun basically.

Am I crazy thinking of trying trap shooting with a pump shotgun? I know everything I read really seems to suggest getting an Over Under, but I am not ready to put forth that kind of money, and my main purpose is Home Defense.

So I guess the question is, should I even bother thinking about the combo package? Or just get a regular HD shotgun for now and if I really want to try shooting trap later buy a proper trap gun?

Also an end note, if I do ever shoot trap I will be taking a lesson, and I plan to get training for HD shotgun as well

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Go for it! You won't be sorry.

I have the Mossberg 500 in three different calibers, actually 4.

I have the model 500 in 12ga. 20ga. .410ga and i also have a .50cal muzzle loader barrel for the 12ga.

I have shot trap with the 12ga. Nothing serious, no competition, just playing around.

I've taken many a whitetail with it as well.

Great gun for the money.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    There is absolutely no reason why you can't use a pump. The combo would work fine. I've read about quite a few people using pumps.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    No your not crazy. I have a clay thrower and I have a pump and an auto loader. I will say the auto is easier, but its definately possible with a pump.

Also pump is the best platform for HD imho. Less likley to jam.

A_Tomic

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Orland, IN
    yes you are crazy

Yes, you should get the combo. and Yes, you should take the shotgun to the skeet and trap range. It is great practice and will get you use to the gun....
    plus its alot of fun.... now here is why you are crazy.

First you get the mossy 500 combo. like I did.
    Then you say, hey that semi auto mossy looks good and the price is right at 300 bucks. That - by the way is the end of price is right shotguns for you.

then you say, Dang that Browning A5 semi auto is a classic and it shoots like a dream. well the price is not too bad...

then, the Browning fever hits you and you have to buy a Citori. well you have just dished out over 1500 bucks for a shotgun.

see the photo below.
    have fun and get the combo. you will be glad you did. ---- 4 shotguns later. :D

picture.php

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Go for the pump. Nothing better for home defense, (more likely to end up cleaning $h1t stains on your carpet than blood stains on your walls when you pump it as you come down the stairs,) reliable, cheap, durable, wide variety of ammo...all around, a pump action shotgun is THE gun that I would choose if I was able to choose one gun to have in my house for protection.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Go for it! You won't be sorry.

I have the Mossberg 500 in three different calibers, actually 4.

I have the model 500 in 12ga. 20ga. .410ga and i also have a .50cal muzzle loader barrel for the 12ga.

I have shot trap with the 12ga. Nothing serious, no competition, just playing around.

I've taken many a whitetail with it as well.

Great gun for the money.

Actually 2 calibers: .410 and .50 (the other two are in gauges).

forkliftdave

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    madison
    If you need it for home defense unless you are the only one at your house. I would have a dedicated gun for the house. It may be needed when your away

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    The Mossy 500 and the Remy 870 are quality shotguns that will last a lifetime. I've used a pump for trap before, you really can't go wrong with your planned purchase. The only thing that will probably happen is the fact that you will start adding more shotty's to your collection.... they multiply like rabbits.... as you can tell from the image below...

DSC00137a2.jpg

defender14

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    Fishers
    awesome, thanks for the replies everyone

I think I was just unsure of how a pump shotgun would be perceived for trap from what I had read on various forums, but I don't think it will be a problem after all of your encouraging words

This should be a nice birthday present for myself, just 6 weeks away lol

Thanks again

Easy1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Kokomo
    Yes, you should get the combo. and Yes, you should take the shotgun to the skeet and trap range. It is great practice and will get you use to the gun....
    plus its alot of fun.... now here is why you are crazy.

First you get the mossy 500 combo. like I did.
    Then you say, hey that semi auto mossy looks good and the price is right at 300 bucks. That - by the way is the end of price is right shotguns for you.

then you say, Dang that Browning A5 semi auto is a classic and it shoots like a dream. well the price is not too bad...

then, the Browning fever hits you and you have to buy a Citori. well you have just dished out over 1500 bucks for a shotgun.

see the photo below.
    have fun and get the combo. you will be glad you did. ---- 4 shotguns later. :D

picture.php

Nice Browning! Use to bunny hunt with one just like it!

Easy1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Kokomo
    Just pick up the regular 500 - I've went sporting shooting with mine and I LOVE it...shoots great! Like you said, if you end up liking the sport save about $1,000-$1,300 which will get you a nice Browning over-under and you'll look and feel the part.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    awesome, thanks for the replies everyone

I think I was just unsure of how a pump shotgun would be perceived for trap from what I had read on various forums, but I don't think it will be a problem after all of your encouraging words

This should be a nice birthday present for myself, just 6 weeks away lol

Thanks again
    My first trap gun was a pump and I worked at a two trap clubs when I bought it.

How you are perceived will be soley based on how that clubs members see you. Each club is different. By bringing an HD gun, you may end up shooting alone but just find a member or two here who may shoot at your club and arrange to shoot with them.

You should just view that trap club as a place to practice with your HD gun, not as a trap club. If you can hit 50% of the birds at 16 yards, you are close to 90% or better on human sized targets. Then go shoot sporting clays with it and have some real fun and even better practice.

billcollector

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2012
    NW Indiana
    The great thing about a pump is you concentrate a lot harder on your first shot at the trap range as the second shot takes longer to get off. The semi and o/u guns the follow up is right now. It is a great way to practice! As for taking apart the gun everytime you want to shoot and reassembling it...you will be buying a second one real quick!!!!!

Top Bottom