Need some advice (dealing with repeat trespasser)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Last year, an older gentleman moved into a house bordering one of the propertys I hunt. I met the guy not long after he moved in, introduced myself and explained that I hunted on his neighbors property. All seemed well, and I went on my way. The problem is that twice last year he came through the woods walking his dog right by my stand. The first time I was pleasant, just asked that he would stay out of the woods on my side while deer season was in. The second time, I wasn't as nice and went as far as to ask the landowner to speak with him. The landowner said he would, but wouldn't press charges for him just walking his dog.I didn't see anymore of him until today. I just got to my stand and heard a dog barking in the distance. About 5 minutes later, here they come. The dog sees me, and starts barking up a storm, I look to the east and sure enough here he comes. Smoking a cigarette, no hunter orange, green jacket. He's about 100 yards away and just whistles for his dog, waves and heads deeper into the woods away from his house towards my front stand that my daughter is in! She texts me and says they walked within 70 yards of her and kept going.Needless to say, I'm fuming. Is there anything I can do? The guy is nice as can be, and his dog wouldn't hurt a fly but enough is enough....

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    If the landowner won't do anything, there is nothing you can do IMO.
    I would tell the landowner again.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    You're pretty much pickled. It's not your property and if you can't get the landowner to say anything to him then it sounds like it's time to hunt different property

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Are you paying to hunt? If so, I'd say the landowner is not keeping his end of the deal by allowing someone else to effectively share your lease. If he's letting you use the land for goodwill, maybe you can talk to the guy again. You might politely tell him how much time and effort you invest to get a quiet hunt (most likely your daughter would be an even more sympathetic figure). He is also putting himself at risk by being in a wooded area during deer hunting.

If he takes his dog on someone else's land, it is my understanding the landowner can shoot the dog with no recourse. Perhaps someone here can clarify or correct me on that. I wouldn't do that normally, of course. But it's enlightening sometimes for careless animal owners to find out the responsibility entirely rests on them when their animal wanders on to another property.

baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    I would tell the landowner again.

I may, but he is 86 and his health is failing. I don't know if I want him stressing over it.

sounds like it's time to hunt different property

I know, but this has been our "honey hole" for a few years now. Very aggravating.....

Are you paying to hunt?

No, it's a family friend. Just the occasional pie, summer sausage, morells and snow removal.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I may, but he is 86 and his health is failing. I don't know if I want him stressing over it.
    Does he have a son that you might be able to bring it up to... I guess you have to be careful as you don't want to get on the bad side and they just revoke your privileges to avoid the hassle.

baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Does he have a son that you might be able to bring it up to... I guess you have to be careful as you don't want to get on the bad side and they just revoke your privileges to avoid the hassle.

Never been married, no children. He has two sisters, but they're just after his money and land. They've tried to get him commited to a nursing home three times in the past 5 years but he's a tough old bird. Once he's no longer able to care for himself, they get control over his assets.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    If your hunt is ruined anyway then just crack off a couple shots into the ground in a different direction. Then get down and act all freaked out and ask if he is all right. Tell him you thought his dog was a deer and next time you might be a better shot.:dunno:

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Why not just go with the obvious, safety angle? He's putting himself and his dog at risk by walking through an active hunt area during deer season.

baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Tried that last year, even gave him a hunter orange ball cap I had in my backpack as he said he didn't own anything in hunter orange. His neighbor to the south and I are good friends, he's told him as well with no results.

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    According to DNR regs---

Harassment of Hunters, TrappersIt is illegal to intentionally interfere with the legal taking of a game animal by another person on public land, or on private land without permission of the landowner.

You might want to mention this to him the next time he comes around.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    According to DNR regs---

Harassment of Hunters, TrappersIt is illegal to intentionally interfere with the legal taking of a game animal by another person on public land, or on private land without permission of the landowner.

You might want to mention this to him the next time he comes around.

OH! Another win! Reputation points!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Does he walk over other properties as well?
    If so he might just push stuff to you.

IMHO your landowner doesn't need to be bothered with this crap at his age.

If the idiot neighbor has to pop Fido from a #2 maybe he'll get the message. If not..............220.

Tandem160

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Be thankful for a place to hunt where you don't make the mortage, taxes and insurance on. My friends and they truly are sometimes may...well forget that ownership is expensive and has its privellages. If the property owner doesn't want to confront the guy then so be it. Enjoy the opportunity that he is providing for what it is... A rare gift. A gift that someday you may longer have.

Top Bottom