• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cromus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    I took my wife to the range for the her first time yesterday. There were several pistols in the shop that she liked, but they didn't have the one she liked for rent. We ended up going with the 9mm glock 17.

When we first got in there, I could tell that the noise from the other guns was already bothering her. It was an indoor range with about five stalls. It was full and there were a couple of people at each lane.

I started off with showing her how to hold it and all of the other safety issues she needed to know. I loaded five into the clip and gave her an idea of what to expect by shooting first.

Once I finished, I could really tell she wasn't going to shoot. I finished off the box and we went on our way.

Once we got in the car, we got to talking. She said that the noise the guns (including the 9mm glock I was shooting) was too loud and it scared her. She also has issues with crowds and tight spaces.

Do you think I should try to reintroduce it to her at an ourdoor range where it won't be as loud due to the echo in the range stalls? Or, do you think I should try and setup a private training time before/after normal range times? I definately think that I need to step down to the .22 for her to feel comfortable as she learns. I may also get the little foam ear plugs to use under her ear muffs.

She seems interested in joining the hobby and I don't want to scare her away from the start.

What are your thoughts?

TLDR: Too Loud, Too many People. Should we try outside or try to setup some private time?

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    try outside and the .22 is also a good idea. Don't give up on her. The situation sounded very intimidating for a beginner.

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    Get outside! I hate indoor ranges for the exact reasons your wife listed. And is you are on either end of the range by the walls it is even worse!

Get a hold of some friends that have a nice mix of handguns and get her outdoors on a nice day. Start out with a .22 and slowly work your way up.

cromus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    We were in lane #1 right on the wall so that probably just added to the noise. I haven't been to an outdoor range since back when we could shoot in grandpa's back yard. Can you recommend a good outdoor range? We live on the south side of Indpls.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    There are many things that you can explain to her at home (4 safety rules, stance, grip, how to operate the gun, how to aim with the sights, trigger control etc) that way she wont be bothered by the noise and the people around.
    She can learn most of those things without shooting the gun.
    I found out that this way you can really take your time to explain her all the things you want without rushing things out.
    Also once she gets to the range she will already be somewhat comfortable with the gun even if she has not shot it yet.

A .22 and an outdoor range with too many people around sounds like a good idea too, like others have said.

But the main thing I would change is to go over everything you want to show her at home, with an unloaded gun of course, I use dummy rounds for that, this way it's 100% safe to show her how to load magazines and chamber rounds in the comfort of your own living room.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    There are many things that you can explain to her at home (4 safety rules, stance, grip, how to operate the gun, how to aim with the sights, trigger control etc) that way she wont be bothered by the noise and the people around.
    She can learn most of those things without shooting the gun.
    I found out that this way you can really take your time to explain her all the things you want without rushing things out.
    Also once she gets to the range she will already be somewhat comfortable with the gun even if she has not shot it yet.

A .22 and an outdoor range with too many people around sounds like a good idea too, like others have said.

But the main thing I would change is to go over everything you want to show her at home, with an unloaded gun of course, I use dummy rounds for that, this way it's 100% safe to show her how to load magazines and chamber rounds in the comfort of your own living room.
    Like he said, Sylvain DOES have the right idea:):

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    We were in lane #1 right on the wall so that probably just added to the noise. I haven't been to an outdoor range since back when we could shoot in grandpa's back yard. Can you recommend a good outdoor range? We live on the south side of Indpls.

Marion County Fish and Game isn't far from the Southside - it's private, but I'd imagine you'll be looking for a private range pretty soon, anyhow.

davidc912

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2012
    South of Indy
    It's a bit of a haul, but Wilbur Wright is probably the closest wide open range. I'd make a day of it and grab some lunch in New Castle on your way back.

Indoor ranges, and more formal ranges can be intimidating to first time shooters. WW is almost like standing in someone's backyard. That way there isn't a crowd watching and shooting, and she can hear what you're telling her and not distracted by constant gunfire and the audience.

I'll never forget how nervous I was at my first indoor range. I was at Pop's on the westside. It was packed. I was shooting my Taurus 44SS8 (my first used/wheelgun/magnum purchase). A tiny shake in your hand is really magnified when there's an 8 3/8" barrel extending from it. I was shooting 240 gr. full load JHP's. Soon as it went off I was in love and quickly forgot about my previous apprehension.

(on a side note: sorry to anyone who was there when I was. Shooting a ported magnum in an enclosed space was probably an unnecessary test of everyone's hearing protection.

pleiades

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    As far as it being too loud, I had that problem. So I wear Mack's silicone ear plugs (22 dB) plus a good set of ear protectors. Now I don't jump out of my skin anytime someone shoots.

Top Bottom