• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Indianapolis
    A dear friend that i trust immensely is a former WI and Maine state trooper, credited with the largest drug bust in one of those state's history. He trained regularly with DEA. He's 60 and doesn't care about fad or fashion and He loves his PPS .40. Says it's the most comfortable carry gun in his career. And he is quite the marksman. Anyone have any opinions? Thank you.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I was seriously thinking about one of these, but the mag release was just not for me. I was very close to buying one but the mag release was a deal breaker. If it doesn't bother you and the price is right, go for it.

sigmachijc

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    Zionsville
    They are one of my favorite guns! The recoil is manageable, it is easy to conceal, and is just plain sexy! I promise you won't go wrong with it. I swear by it everyday.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    As I've posted before, my wife had the 9mm version and I HATED that gun. Very unforgiving and difficult for her to shoot accurately and for me to shoot accurately. My litmus test for accuracy is my 16 year old son. He outshoots me with everything I own so if he struggles with something I know it's not just me getting old and he couldn't shoot that gun accurately either.

Very expensive firearm with very expensive and difficult to find (at least they were about 3 years ago, don't know about today) magazines. At $55 per mag, makes it a wallet-draining proposition to have an adequate supply. Accessories is also a small market for this gun.

It was my wife's first handgun that she researched, scoured the earth for, and bought on her own. It quickly became a source of frustration for her (and me) because it was difficult to shoot well. I'm talking "rides home from range trips with tears involved" frustration. As soon as she gave up on it and went to something else, all was right with the world.

Now I will say it is a very nice gun and is very well made. I kinda liked the mag release, although it is different enough from most other platforms that I'd want to spend the proper amount of time doing mag changes to train my mind and muscles to go to the release without having to think about it. About 1000 rounds were put through hers (yeah it was given a fair chance) and not one single failure of any type occurred. I never tried carrying it, but it would make a great carry gun with it's size.

In all, it is a nice gun and I wouldn't tell someone NOT to buy it, but I would say try to find someone who will let you try theirs before dropping that kind of coin on one. Good luck!

growl18

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    I was seriously thinking about one of these, but the mag release was just not for me. I was very close to buying one but the mag release was a deal breaker. If it doesn't bother you and the price is right, go for it.

Funny, the mag release is one of its best features IMO. Its a great pistol and very thin. Liked it so much I picked up a P99c in 9mm to go with it.

dsc03213b.jpg

sigmachijc

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    Zionsville
    I picked up a P99 AS as well after I got it! Unfortunately, I tinker with them more than my Sig P226 and my H&K P2000.

However, I have small hands, and that's the reason I like the PPS so much. My hands and the PPS go together like peas and carrots! LOL

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I picked up a P99 AS as well after I got it! Unfortunately, I tinker with them more than my Sig P226 and my H&K P2000.

However, I have small hands, and that's the reason I like the PPS so much. My hands and the PPS go together like peas and carrots! LOL

so is it definitely more suited for small hands, as mine are not?

growl18

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    so is it definitely more suited for small hands, as mine are not?

The narrow, flat, single stack grip lends itself to an easier grip especially if you have a hard time gripping fatter grip double stacks.
    Only real way of telling is to get your hands on one. I don't have small hands and it works fine for me.

b66homie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2011
    N.W.I
    I have a PPS 40 and I love it! It is surprisingly accurate for a compact gun. The mag release takes a little bit of getting used to but now I prefer it.
    I haven't had a single malfunction of any kind.
    I would recommend a Limb Saver grip. Only $10.00 and well worth it. The palm of my hand would be raw after about 80 rounds without it.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

caverjamie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Dubois Co.

I have to say - I really like this style mag release. So don't discount it just because it is different than what we are used to. I use my middle finger (of the same hand I'm firing with) to actuate the mag release - it's already right there from firing so it's a smooth motion for me.

Accuracy for me seems to be about the same as with the Glock 19. (I am talking about the 9mm PPS btw)

As for grip size, the Glock 19 has a slightly large grip for me, and the PPS has a slightly small grip (with the smaller backstrap) - but I find that neither the G19 or PPS is uncomfortable.

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom