• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DC47374

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Richmond, IN
    I am looking to begin reloading my own ammunition (mostly 9mm and a few 45 acp). In doing research, found quite a few people like using Winchester 231 powder. I'm having trouble finding it online....can anyone suggest some sites that may have it in stock? Perhaps suggest a superior or comparable replacement you've had good results with. I'm open to any and all suggestions...including good sites to shop from for other components.
    Thanks in advance.

uberpeck

Marksman
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Mar 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have always used unique/titegroup and had good results. If you can find a local store that sells them, I'm sure they would love your patronage more than an online retailer. Also, I believe if you buy online you have to an extra hazmat fee to have it shipped to your home- not sure since I've always bought locally.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    Finding any pistol powder right now is near impossible. You just have to be diligent and look every day. There was a thread about a month ago giving people's favorite online places to buy components. Also if you ever come to Indy try to get to profire, if anyone local will have it they will and are great guys.

Mosineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Right now pistol powders are slim pick'ins both online and locally (at least in my part of the state). And uberpeck is correct. There is a hazmat fee plus shipping from online so it will be more pricey than locally. But, if online is for some reason your only option, check out MidwayUSA, Graf and Sons, etc. If you have access to order online, then just Google pistol powders for sale. I have recently checked on availability, and like I said ...slim pick'ins on pistol powders. If you are looking online or locally though, don't limit yourself to 231. There are a good number of different powders that are just as good as 231, and with most inventories low, make a list of all you can use that fits your needs and you will have a better chance of finding something that will work for you with same results. Check your manuals, there are a number of good choices IMHO. Good luck...and boogieman has good info also, I have heard profire is a great place to check, unfortunately it is a bit far for me...:(

DC47374

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Richmond, IN
    Thanks for the replies. I hadn't considered the hazmat of shipping. Looks like I will be looking local for this. Generally I go for the discounted pricing but can definitely see the benefits of having a local resource. Thanks for the suggestions. Much appreciated.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Group Buy...

Thanks for the replies. I hadn't considered the hazmat of shipping. Looks like I will be looking local for this. Generally I go for the discounted pricing but can definitely see the benefits of having a local resource. Thanks for the suggestions. Much appreciated.

DC, there are many FINE INGO members on your side of the State that reload also. If you can round up a few that agree with you, and you find powder, make a 'Group' buy and get it in the largest jugs that you can. Usually #8's.

After the split is done, the Haz-Mat+Shipping does NOT hurt as much..Bill.

PS: It MAY?? be wise to get a deposit from the other buyers before you "Extend Yourself" out too much??

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    DC, there are many FINE INGO members on your side of the State that reload also. If you can round up a few that agree with you, and you find powder, make a 'Group' buy and get it in the largest jugs that you can. Usually #8's.

After the split is done, the Haz-Mat+Shipping does NOT hurt as much..Bill.

PS: It MAY?? be wise to get a deposit from the other buyers before you "Extend Yourself" out too much??

This is precisely what I've done a couple of times...we place a big order for primers and powders to spread out the cost of the hazmat fee.

NOTE: IF YOU BUY POWDER AND PRIMERS FROM MIDWAY USA, THEY WILL COME FROM SEPARATE LOCATIONS AND YOU WILL PAY TWO HAZMAT FEES!

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    "NOTE: IF YOU BUY POWDER AND PRIMERS FROM MIDWAY USA, THEY WILL COME FROM SEPARATE LOCATIONS AND YOU WILL PAY TWO HAZMAT FEES! "

Yea Broom, that's exactly why I buy from Powder Valley or Mid-South..Cheaper too..Bill.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    "NOTE: IF YOU BUY POWDER AND PRIMERS FROM MIDWAY USA, THEY WILL COME FROM SEPARATE LOCATIONS AND YOU WILL PAY TWO HAZMAT FEES! "

Yea Broom, that's exactly why I buy from Powder Valley or Mid-South..Cheaper too..Bill.

When I've done this, we went through Midsouth during one of their promos, where they picked up the hazmat if you ordered a large volume of powder and/or primers.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    So we not only have ammo shortages, but component shortages as well? I was just starting to look into reloading too.

Yup. The two really have gone hand in hand for the most part. 4/8# jugs and cases of primers are your friend if you can find them and can afford them.

Roadmap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    Greenwood
    All pistol powders are in short supply. Check with ProFire in Indy on Thursday-Friday afternoon. I've bought Titegroup from them first thing Saturday morning, it's gone by noon. The 1500 show was a good opportunity, found some Accurate #2 and #7 but no #5. Haven't found powder anywhere else locally.

Top Bottom