• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dpbstevens

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 23, 2011
    Akron
    I have a rock island armory 1911. I have been doing a little bit of part changing to change the look of it. Last night I installed a new beaver tail replacing the old hand safety, I replaced the old trigger, I replaced the old hammer with a bobbed hammer to accommodate the new beavertail, and added a new extended safety switch on the left side. Now the hammer will not fall when pulling the trigger. I can release the hammer though by using two hands and slightly pushing the hammer back a little farther in the cocked position then the hammer will release and decock. I had to modify a little of the frame to get the beavertail to line up, but it was only shaving some of the protruding frame nothing internally. I have taken it apart three times now to try to find the problem but no luck. I am new to the rebuilding world of 1911's so any help would be greatly appreciated. everything else seems to function fine just can't get the hammer to drop.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    There's a lot of potential problems here. I would start gradually and work your way up. Just install the trigger, hammer, sear etc. but leave out the thumb safety and grip safety so you can see what's going on. If you have no issues then go to the thumb safety and then the b'tail.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    Was it a gunsmith fit hammer? Or a drop in?

Is the trigger bow the same length as the old one? Possible trigger not going back far enough? Also check the trigger set screw.

Thumb safety was fit properly? They are NOT drop in.

I would agree with the above of having a smith check it out.

Top Bottom