• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    I bought a P3AT from a member on here (no problems with that, don't worry).

The previous owner told me they had some issues with FTE's before I bought it and I shot it at the range before I bought it and it did indeed FTE maybe 1 or 2 every other mag. This was with Winchester ammo.

I did some research and Google tells me that the gun prefers Fed. I tried fed this past weekend and it didn't really seem to cure it.

What did though was not holding it double handed. If I just shot one handed and a relatively relaxed grip it seemed to feed OK.

It's a Gen 2 P3AT with the "franken-extractor" so maybe it hasn't been shot enough to be "worn-in" yet? What does a "fluff and buff" entail on these guns? Obviously the P3AT is meant as a last ditch self-defence gun so I want it to work when I need it to.

I do otherwise love the little thing. It's a little hard on the hand but then again you're not meant to be shooting it 24/7.

David.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    I have a PF-9 that needed some help and the good people of KTOG helped me to get it running like a top. No issues now and runs anything I put in it...well...except for those heat seeking DNA encoded bullets.

I still haven't received my shipment from the black helicopters yet. Anyone got some tin foil?:n00b: :): ;)

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    From personal experience the screw in the "Franken-Extractor" will come loose while firing, causing FTE issues. The remedy is to loosen the screw enough to put a drop of blue Locktite on the threads and screw it back in. It's very soft metal so don't over torque it.

Also, send an e-mail to Kel-Tec service that you are having this issue and would like a couple of extra screws for spares. They will probably send them for free with no questions asked.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    I had the worst time trying to shoot "tula" russian ammo in mine last weekend..

Absolutely wouldn't even get 1 round to go up the tube. Tried both mags.. full and with only 1 round.. nothing.. got a round of american eagle ammo in it and fired just fine.

I have shot precision FMJ, frangible FMJ, frangible JHP, WWB, Federal, and american eagle through mine and it ate each one like butter.. also shot a box of precision reload range rounds that had flat noses.. those failed to load on occasion but the rest of the ammo was smooth..

Until you get a few hundred rounds down the tube, it's not properly broken in yet.

Also, as a side note, keep an eye on your trigger pin.. mine came slipping out a bit this past weekend and cause me some grief.

Enjoy that little pocket rocket.. I love shooting mine.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    KTOG---a great source of info for Keltecs. I performed the "fluff and buff" to my P11 several years ago, and haven't had any issues since.

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008

Absolutely wouldn't even get 1 round to go up the tube. Tried both mags.. full and with only 1 round.. nothing.. got a round of american eagle ammo in it and fired just fine.

I have shot precision FMJ, frangible FMJ, frangible JHP, WWB, Federal, and american eagle through mine and it ate each one like butter.. also shot a box of precision reload range rounds that had flat noses.. those failed to load on occasion but the rest of the ammo was smooth..

Until you get a few hundred rounds down the tube, it's not properly broken in yet.

Also, as a side note, keep an eye on your trigger pin.. mine came slipping out a bit this past weekend and cause me some grief.

I personaaly think the "Commy" ammo is best left for the "Commy" guns, ie., CZ, Makarovs, etc. These little pocket guns can be rather ammo sensitive.

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell

I joined KTOG and saw you over there, Mike.

I'll read up on the P3AT and post a little on there. Looks like KelTec are still nice about spares even if you're not the original owner. (which I'm not, I think I'm the third, probably because the first owner sold it due to the FTEs).

I have a feeling its the extractor not grabbing the case properly, judging by the witness marks on the empties.

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    Top Bottom