Need Steel Toed boots for construction job. Any advice?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    I'm starting a new job in which I am required to wear steel toed boots. They must be puncture resistant. Temporarily I am looking for something short term that will be comfortable, but not break the bank. Can anyone recommend a pair like this?

I'm also looking for some long term quality steel toed boots and recommendations on those would be great too.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    If you happen to make your way over toward Terre Haute, I would recommend going to Boot City on 41 south of town and try boots until you find something you like. My understanding is that they generally have around 10,000 pairs of boots in stock at any given time including but not limited to steel-toed work boots.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I wear Redwing as well. But I ditched steel toes for the composite toe. Much lighter and when it's cold outside, you notice a big difference. I buy mine at Footwear Supply here in Franklin. Chris carries lots of different brands and has a couple "boot trucks". If he doesn't have it in the store, it's probably on the shelf in one of the trucks. If he has to order it, it's a quick turn around.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    I wear Redwing as well. But I ditched steel toes for the composite toe. Much lighter and when it's cold outside, you notice a big difference. I buy mine at Footwear Supply here in Franklin. Chris carries lots of different brands and has a couple "boot trucks". If he doesn't have it in the store, it's probably on the shelf in one of the trucks. If he has to order it, it's a quick turn around.

Is composite supposed to be a lighter alternative to steel toe but with all the same safety specs?

Edit: seems they are not quite the same. Unfortunately I need steel.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I've had good luck with Rocky's, Wolverines, and Carolina's.
    I usually go with the composite toe, your toes won't get as cold in the winter.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Is composite supposed to be a lighter alternative to steel toe but with all the same safety specs?

Edit: seems they are not quite the same. Unfortunately I need steel.

I wear steel toe boots everyday (with steel soles), even for hiking, I guess after a while you don't notice the extra wheight.
    Composite ones are half the strenght of steel I think ...

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I'll echo Red on liking the composite toe due to the cold, but I'll go with basically everyone else saying Redwing is the way to go! You get what you pay for with their boots and then some I'd say, great quality.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    I rotate every other day between Redwing 2244 and Wolverine 03295. I prefer the Wolverines, they fit my feet better. One thing there are different "grades" of Redwing, mine are the cheaper ones. (China)

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I had good luck with their shoes until I bought a pair where the sole cracked. They did have a good warranty. Do you think that was a fluke or is that a common issue with redwing's soles?

I had a pair of redwing's about 5-8 yrs ago that the sole flat came off of. I complained, got it warranteed, but had to drive an hour to get it done and they treated me like a crook...so I haven't bought since. YMMV.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I've been wearing Keens for the past six years.

Past 4 yrs for me. THey hold up well. They've also moved some manufacturing to the states( I think they're a UK company...but not sure why i think that). The pair I'm wearing right now is a US made set. I don't wear them hard as I am an office guy...but I like them.

Top Bottom