• Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Difficulty:

Aluminum safe

"household item safe"

The range-hood grease trap/filter in our house was woefully neglected by previous owner/s. The thing is caked almost solid with grease and nastiness.

Boiling hot water poured over it didn't do much. I couldn't keep a substantial flow of water hot enough to work, anyway.

Soaking in hot water + Simple Green didn't work either.

The filter itself seems to be either a fine stainless steel mesh or aluminum. (Wouldn't attract a magnet)

Frame of the filter is almost certainly aluminum

There's also a clear-ish plastic light cover in the frame.

So, what sort of potion can I use that won't eat the aluminum frame, mesh, nor the plastic light cover?

:dunno:

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I'd suggest going to your local food service supply place and getting some restaurant grade grease cutter. Industrial strength stuff will do a good job of cutting through the grease. Then run them through a nice hot wash cycle in the dishwasher.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Dawn dishsoap. That stuff is like magic. If you have the hood off and can soak it, I would do that. I would have thought simple green would have worked. Definitely try some dawn though. Its cheap and extremely good on grease and it wont tear anything up.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Plus if you are going to use the simple green. you will prob want to use it full strentgh or only mildly dilluted for it to work. Otherwise it won't be strong enough to get the job done. I'd try that and see how it does.

OAK

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    TH
    With Dawn dish soap you can get the white haze, I use Orange Glo with some warm water.

Edit:

It's also organic(non-toxic) and smells amazing!

Last edited:

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    For my detailing jobs where I have to clean grease and oil from engines and other they ngs I use castrol degreaser from walmart. That stuff is scary strong. The only I have that's stronger is acid based.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I'd suggest going to your local food service supply place and getting some restaurant grade grease cutter. Industrial strength stuff will do a good job of cutting through the grease. Then run them through a nice hot wash cycle in the dishwasher.

I did have that thought. Was wondering what fast food restaurants used (or the companies that they hire to clean the roof traps/vents). I'll head up to GFS in the morning to see if they sell anything.

Dawn dishsoap. That stuff is like magic. If you have the hood off and can soak it, I would do that. I would have thought simple green would have worked. Definitely try some dawn though. Its cheap and extremely good on grease and it wont tear anything up.

Tried Dawn + hot water. Didn't make much of a difference. It did help a little, though.

Easy off foaming oven cleaner. Has worked for me....

The cleaners we have here at home say they're not aluminum safe. :n00b:

Plus if you are going to use the simple green. you will prob want to use it full strentgh or only mildly dilluted for it to work. Otherwise it won't be strong enough to get the job done. I'd try that and see how it does.

full strength is my next option. I have a limited supply here at home. But if I have to go buy something else, might as well buy more SG, too. I use it a lot!

gasoline/lacquer thinner

Not sure that'd work on food-related grease? Also not sure I want to put myself through it. No place to dispose of the used material, either.

Acetone or Kerosene might cut the grease, but it'll pry smell funny for a very long time

See above. :D

I'd recommend Stanley Degreaser Concentrate. Stanley Home Products: Degreaser Concentrate

Will Definitely look to see if I can find some of this!

With Dawn dish soap you can get the white haze, I use Orange Glo with some warm water.

Edit:

It's also organic(non-toxic) and smells amazing!

I've had some orange-glo before. I wasn't super impressed. I like Simple Green better.

For my detailing jobs where I have to clean grease and oil from engines and other they ngs I use castrol degreaser from walmart. That stuff is scary strong. The only I have that's stronger is acid based.

I'd thought about an automotive product as well. I figure if it's safe to spray on all the stuff under a car bonnet, it should be OK on the little aluminum and plastic filter that I have. :dunno:

Thanks everyone!

-J-

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    simple green didnt cut it? WOW!! good luck

have you tried PB blaster, or brake or carb cleaner?

The only SG I have remaining is rather dilute...

no PB on site... Didn't think about that. Wonder if WD-40 would help?

Thought about brake or carb cleaner, too. Again, worried at what it'll do to the aluminum? :dunno:

I should just go to an appliance store and inquire about buying a new one. Probably cheaper. :laugh:

rfontes

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2010
    Noblesville
    if you know anybody that works for a fast food/restaurant ask them to get you this purple colored degreaser, all restaurants use it/different brands same thing basically, it wont harm your skin and it will cut through any tuff stain/crap/rust etc..

hunter_47443

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Greene Co.
    if you know anybody that works for a fast food/restaurant ask them to get you this purple colored degreaser, all restaurants use it/different brands same thing basically, it wont harm your skin and it will cut through any tuff stain/crap/rust etc..

Kinda surprised I didn't see Purple Power mentioned, that stuff makes Simple Green look like cold water.

Get Purple Power at Walmart....automotive section, I think.

Top Bottom