• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I have owned a Colt and now own a RIA 1911. Like you, I have smallish hands and there is nothing on the planet that I've found that fits quite like the 1911, and that trigger is about the best I've ever tried. I also own 2 Glocks in 9mm , which I love. If you like the 1911 style, do look into the RIA, I've not found many that have problems with them.

randy68

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    SW Indiana
    I just picked up this American Classic Commander at my LGS for $555 plus tax. The blued version is $40-50 cheaper. I wanted a .45 and for me the 1911 platform was the only choice. I picked the commander because it may be a carry gun also. If or when I decide I want a 9mm I will look at the polymer guns then. Best to see if someone you know has one or the other and will let you handle and shoot them. Some gun shops and ranges have guns to try out.
    photobucket-1429-1353083136550.jpg

Duron219

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 15, 2012
    East Chicago
    If you can grip a 1911, you can grip an Hk USP Compact, or the Hk45 with the new grip comfortably. The Hk45 has adjustable back straps also.
    I'll be on the lookout for a USP compact and the HK45 and see how they feel
    I just picked up this American Classic Commander at my LGS for $555 plus tax. The blued version is $40-50 cheaper. I wanted a .45 and for me the 1911 platform was the only choice. I picked the commander because it may be a carry gun also. If or when I decide I want a 9mm I will look at the polymer guns then. Best to see if someone you know has one or the other and will let you handle and shoot them. Some gun shops and ranges have guns to try out.
    photobucket-1429-1353083136550.jpg

The range by me has one for rent I'll go there and give it a try

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'll be on the lookout for a USP compact and the HK45 and see how they feel

The range by me has one for rent I'll go there and give it a try

If your objection to the 1911 was price, you might have some issues with H&K as well. Purchase price is comparable to mid-grade 1911s, and spare mags are pricier.

That said, H&K's are fine guns. You won't get the 1911 trigger, though.

spyder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    If your objection to the 1911 was price, you might have some issues with H&K as well. Purchase price is comparable to mid-grade 1911s, and spare mags are pricier.

That said, H&K's are fine guns. You won't get the 1911 trigger, though.
    You can pick up nice used Hk's for a decent price.
    H&K USP Compact .45 With Adjustable Sights 45 : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com
    That one might go up to $620.

A brand new 1911 of that price won't hold a tune to the USP compact. The compact is smaller, more accurate, and lighter when fully loaded than a 1911 is empty. Hk's compact bests the 1911 in that range, up to $1000, yes, I'm kicking Kimbers also. There are also many trigger options on Hk's, not just the DA/SA, or LEM. There is a light LEM that is very nice also that is basically a single action that breaks at 4 lbs.

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    I have owned a few .45 ACP guns, the least expensive was a Ruger P97, it was bulky, but reliable and somewhat accurate, I have owned a few Colt 1911's my first was a Commander, my only complaint was that it ejected the shells straight up in the air, (I did learn not to wear pocket t-shirts at the range), the other 1911's were all Govt. models, very accurate and I had absolutely no trouble with any of them. I've owned Glock 21 and 30, didn't shoot them much, probably never gave them a fair chance, they just don't "trip my trigger", I also owned a few S&W's, I still own a M&P full size that I would recommend to anyone, probably the best feeling semi-auto gun that I have ever owned, but my favorite .45acp guns are 2 of my S&W revolvers. Two .45 acp guns that I would like to own are HK USP and a SIG 220

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Glock 21 (13 +1 capacity)
    Glock 30 (10 +1 capacity)
    M&P45 (10 +1 capacity)

In that order for me. I've always been a .45 ACP guy and actually prefer the plastic fantastic guns over the all steel 1911. Blasphemy, I know, but my scores, times, classifications, targets and everything else I've shot and shot at don't lie; I just simply shoot those 3 better than the 1911 and I ended up spending less money for more gun in my opinion.

I do love the 1911 and the Rock Island pistols are great. Ruger SR1911 is a fantastic gun IF you can find one, too. Shoot them all, from Glock to Smith to anything else and see what you like best but WHEN the Zombie Apocalypse happens, I'll choose my Glock 21 over anything else I own.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    You can pick up nice used Hk's for a decent price.
    H&K USP Compact .45 With Adjustable Sights 45 : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com
    That one might go up to $620.

A brand new 1911 of that price won't hold a tune to the USP compact. The compact is smaller, more accurate, and lighter when fully loaded than a 1911 is empty. Hk's compact bests the 1911 in that range, up to $1000, yes, I'm kicking Kimbers also. There are also many trigger options on Hk's, not just the DA/SA, or LEM. There is a light LEM that is very nice also that is basically a single action that breaks at 4 lbs.

Smaller and lighter, probably. More accurate? Maybe, maybe not, but probably not enough to matter in actual use. Small and light isn't always a pro, though. Shorter sight radius, more muzzle flip, more perceived recoil, etc but less concealable vs longer sight radius, less muzzle flip, absorbing recoil better, but more concealable. I carried a full sized 1911 for years with no problems, and carry a full sized P220 now. Neither are short or light.

They are different systems, and comparing them is always at least partially apples and oranges. Trigger weight is only a part of the trigger. Smoothness, lack of stacking, length of reset, etc.

For the same cost as that used H&K, you can get a new Para Ordinance, Remington, or several others mid range GI/GI enhanced type 1911s.

01deuce

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    walkerton
    If I do ever get an HK most likely I'll buy it used

There are deals to be had if you are patient!

One of my HK45c's

Bought it for $650. It has a mark on the slide but I am almost positive it had not been fired since it left Germany!

015n.jpg

I converted it to LEM after this picture was taken.

Duron219

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 15, 2012
    East Chicago
    There are deals to be had if you are patient!

One of my HK45c's

Bought it for $650. It has a mark on the slide but I am almost positive it had not been fired since it left Germany!

015n.jpg

I converted it to LEM after this picture was taken.

Nice deal and nice gun, I turn 21 in Feb. so I can wait. By the way what is LEM, I know what DA and SA mean but not LEM?

shootamc58

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 28, 2012
    noblesville
    The xdm 45 springfield is great. 5.25 is great for target shooting but a little big for carry. The xds is great for cc. I love the glocks too. So many good choices out there.

01deuce

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    walkerton
    Nice deal and nice gun, I turn 21 in Feb. so I can wait. By the way what is LEM, I know what DA and SA mean but not LEM?

Basically a DAO that feels more like SA.

From HK's website.

The HK Law Enforcement Modification (LEM) trigger system combines the advantages of a cocked
    striker component (constant level of trigger pull from first to last round fired) with a double-action
    hammer system. Using such an enhanced trigger system consolidates ease of use and safety into a
    convenient, innovative trigger operation—one that reduces the chance of unintended firing. And in
    case of an ammunition-related failure to fire, all that is needed is an additional second or third
    squeeze of the trigger without the need of first pulling the slide back to re-cock the pistol. The enhanced LEM trigger system combines the reliability of a double action revolver trigger with the crisp
    trigger of a single action pistol.

Duron219

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 15, 2012
    East Chicago

From HK's website.

The HK Law Enforcement Modification (LEM) trigger system combines the advantages of a cocked
    striker component (constant level of trigger pull from first to last round fired) with a double-action
    hammer system. Using such an enhanced trigger system consolidates ease of use and safety into a
    convenient, innovative trigger operation—one that reduces the chance of unintended firing. And in
    case of an ammunition-related failure to fire, all that is needed is an additional second or third
    squeeze of the trigger without the need of first pulling the slide back to re-cock the pistol. The enhanced LEM trigger system combines the reliability of a double action revolver trigger with the crisp
    Thanks for the info

spyder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012

From HK's website.

That is a sweet deal on that Hk45C! Friggen amazing actually.....

You need to convert your Hk to the light LEM. You will like it a hell of a lot better with a four pound trigger pull.

Duron, if you are going to be using this gun for carry, I would suggest you read the following that I stated in another thread...
    I think mainly when it comes to 45's, you need a gun that will fit comfortably in your hand, otherwise, you are going to absolutely hate shooting the gun, and your accuracy will go down the ****ter. What you should look for in any cary or self defense gun, is a gun that points right (or should be high in priority anyway). On some people (me), the 1911 points down in my hand even with the arched mainspring housing (I'm using 1911's and Hk's as an example because a couple of them are readily available to me at the moment). The STI's, and Caspian's do it with me as well. My wife's USP compact points ever so slightly down as well... Anyway, this is important because in a quick draw and fire where you might not get the time to properly align your sights (longer time if your natural aim is off more), your natural hold (natural point) is where your first shot or two will be. As you will see in the pictures below, 1911's with a flat mainspring housing and I would just take out their ankles... Remember, at 7 yards, 21 feet, the average person can make that distance with a knife in an average of one in a half seconds... That fact has been researched by many including the FBI, and the Tueller Drill is made specifically for that. Again in one and a half seconds, are you going to have your gun unholstered and be able to aim down the sights? This is where natural aim is a big thing (along with training). My full size USP fits me perfect, better sadly than my Hk45. Anyway, it is good to have a gun that is accurate, and extremely relaible for a self defense gun (my arguement for Hk), but also one that fits you right.
    DSCN3835.jpg

^ 1911 with arched mainspring housing
    DSCN3833.jpg

^ 1911 with flat mainspring housing
    DSCN3834.jpg

^ 1911 with flat mainspring housing, sight picture (bad guys ankle's are gona hate me)
    DSCN3836.jpg

^ Caspian double stack with flat housing
    DSCN3837.jpg

^ The wife's Hk USP 45 C
    DSCN3838.jpg

^ Hk45 with small backstrap
    DSCN3840.jpg

^ Hk USP 45 full size

01deuce

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    walkerton
    That is a sweet deal on that Hk45C! Friggen amazing actually.....

You need to convert your Hk to the light LEM. You will like it a hell of a lot better with a four pound trigger pull...

They all are! A few match/Lem hybrids also.

Even a couple that have "special trigger mods"

And as far as that deal. That's why I bought it even though its my 3rd 45c.

jkwparrott

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Corydon, IN
    I really like my Ruger P345. It doesn't have all of the sharp edges and points that many seem to have and that makes it much more comfortable to carry.

Top Bottom