• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bucko

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 21, 2010
    Indy South
    So a couple years ago, I replaced my furnace. It sits directly overtop of my sump pump pit. Earlier this year, the sump pump goes out and I go to replace it.

This is where the problems start, I couldn't get the old sump pump out. After cutting and tearing apart and destroying the old worthless sump pump (also had to chisel out some concrete), I started looking for a new sump pump to fit in the hole. I could find nothing that would fit. I googled, I binged, ask a plumber friend I knew, and could not find a small sump pump.

I am temporarily using a utility pump that is 6" in total diameter. It barely fits in my opening around the furnace. This has a normal garden hose hookup and works ok, as long as I'm at home to plug it in during heavy rains. I cannot leave it plugged in all the time like the sump pump, because it will burn the motor out if it runs dry for too long.

I have a maximum clearance of 6", so any pump must be smaller than that in diameter. Does anyone know where I can get a smaller sump pump that can be plugged in 100% of the time?

Please help me INGO!!!

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    My builder left me a tiny little sump pit in my crawlspace and it was an aggravation. I ended up picking up a new plastic sump liner and digging a new pit, not an easy chore in a crawl space. You could do that in a basement, you'd just have to cut the concrete floor first, then patch it when you're done.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    All I can say is wow. Why did you allow this to happen in the first place? Sump pumps don't last forever, and you had to know this was going to be an issue down the road...right? That being said, I seriously doubt you are going to find anything that is going to fit in a 6" clearance. Most sump pits are 18" at least in diameter, and the pumps are designed with that in mind. I would give some serious thought to correcting the issue from the top down. Get the furnace out of the way on a permanent basis and do the job correctly. If you don't do it now, you will be doing it when you try to sell the house. I think most inspectors will catch that issue.

danimal

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2011
    Unincorporated Lake County
    I have a little bilge pump I bought at Menards that does 800gph and attaches using a 3/4" ID hose. It's DC though, so needs to be attached to a 12v car/marine battery (or some type of AC/DC converter able to supply ~5A). Should be able to slip down into a 6" wide hole, but you need something heavy to attach it to to weigh it down like a brick or someway to mount it since it has it's own built-in float switch. A small 3/4" check valve to place inline would help too. Only a temporary solution, but at least you won't need to babysit it during a storm.

Auto 800 Gph Bilge Pump at Menards

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Yeah, I would spend the money and time to fix it right. I would want a pump that I could run to Lowes and replace easily.

scott delaney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    I belive zoller makes a 6" model. as far as what you have now, put a plug in float switch on it and leave it plugged in till you find a proper replacement

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    You can always add a float switch to any pump so that you don't have to plug/unplug it.

Parts 2O FP18-15BD-P2 Sump Pump Float Switch - Sump Pump Replacement Switch - Amazon.com
    61yNTZWzuML._SL1500_.jpg

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    So a couple years ago, I replaced my furnace. It sits directly overtop of my sump pump pit.

Well, if that isn't a new one. :rolleyes:

How about cutting a hole in the bottom of the furnace to access the sump pump?
    Then manufacture a door to replace the opening you just created.

Bucko

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 21, 2010
    Indy South
    Thanks to all for the suggestions. Moving the furnace is not an option. Home is very large, and I have 2 furnaces (next to each other and a brick wall), and 2 AC units. I had thought of removing more concrete (not a preferred option), but several things suggested here and in PM's look promising. If anyone else has suggestions, please let me have them. I'm optimistic this will not be a problem anymore.

Thanks again INGO you guys rock!

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    A lot of newer furnaces have an open bottom to allow return duct/box to go under them. Installers use a fabbed piece or a factory cover to close that opening. Either way access is going to be tight. Time to fix the nightmare. Fix now or pay with 6in of water. Move the sump pit/ new/ redesign and put in a standard submersible w/ pvc piping, and check valve. Not cheap. Right.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    pakman415
    Top Bottom