• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    In light the Canton, OH story, I want to know if we have a responsibility/requirement in IN to notify a Police Officer that we are carrying if stopped. Anyone know the answer to that?

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I'm fortunate that I have never been pulled over while carrying (knock on wood). If it ever happens, as a courtesy, I'll probably hand my driver's license and permit to the officer.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    It's voluntary, unless of course they ask you to step out of the vehicle or something, then it'd be a pretty good idea to inform.

Hooker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    NW IN
    My attitude used to be that I would notify just out of courtesy, but
    after spending some time on this board my opinion has changed.

Do a little research here and be informed.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    My attitude used to be that I would notify just out of courtesy, but
    after spending some time on this board my opinion has changed.

[STRIKE]Do a little research here and be informed.[/STRIKE]
    Live your life the way YOU want and don't let others' opinion affect what you are comfortable with

FTFY.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    In the past, I have notified three times, and not notified twice. Here's the results. (Yes, I get pulled over a lot.)

On notifying, I have been thanked by two of the officers. One gave me a warning instead of a ticket (he said it was because he appreciated me letting him know.)

The third took my gun back to his car, and gave it back 45 minutes later. I made a thread on this, and how crappy his attitude was during the entire thing. Very demanding, but nothing like the Canton situation.

From then on, I've chosen not to notify. If it's on my hip and I need to get my license out of my right-pocket, I'll try to do so before he approaches.

Granted, I OC, so it's possible that an officer would notice even if I didn't notify.

In the times I notified, I simply handed my LTCH with my License. I didn't do it verbally.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I've never really understood that law. Certain states make you notify if you're pulled over for speeding, but what if you have a flat tire and a cop stops to see if you need help? Why are you not obligated to notify then? Seems like a cop has as much chance of getting shot then as he/she does during a routine traffic stop.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    The third took my gun back to his car, and gave it back 45 minutes later. I made a thread on this, and how crappy his attitude was during the entire thing. Very demanding, but nothing like the Canton situation.
    QUOTE]

I've ooohed and aahhhed over a gun for forty five minutes. Maybe he was jealous of your firearm. :)

Relatively Ninja

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Indianapolis
    You aren't obligated to notify in the state of Indiana, and there are some very strong opinions over whether or not you should. I personally would notify if my weapon was in a place where the officer could see it just by looking in the window (I OC a lot). However, after reading some of the encounters other people have had (not just with traffic stops, but with all leo encounters) I would probably pull my shirt over my gun and not say anything about it. :twocents:

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    it should be a requirement though. police officers need to be able to go home safely each and every night, and requiring people to tell them that they are armed will go a long way towards that.

NO it won't! Do you think someone with ill-intent toward a police officer is actually going to be truthful about whether or not he's carrying? It's just like all other carry and gun laws. It effects the law-abiding only.

! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy
    it should be a requirement though. police officers need to be able to go home safely each and every night, and requiring people to tell them that they are armed will go a long way towards that.

What does a law abiding citizen with a gun have to do with an officers safety?!

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township

I don't totally agree with you here. I don't want to HAVE to do anything. Most officers I know don't fear LTCH holders, but there are dirtbags out there who have their LTCH so it can be a crapshoot...

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I would have informed when I first started carrying, but after reading about enough unpleasant encounters I will now never inform unless I'm in a state that requires it.

After reading all the arguments of "officer safety" from LEOs defending the cops who make a big deal out of legal carriers and take their weapons, or unload them or disassemble them after being informed, I decided I would be a part of that big group who doesn't inform.

And my question, as always, was, how is it for officer safety if you push people to never inform you? Now instead of disarming a guy who TOLD you he was carrying you have to deal with the fact that lots of us will never tell, leaving you to wonder who is carrying and who isn't. I hope that makes them feel safer.

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    i personally want to know if people i am interacting with are armed. that way i can take steps to make myself safe. therefore i think police officers should have the option to disarm anyone they come in contact with for the duration of their interaction. besides the police dont know if the person they are interacting with is law abiding or not. they might as well err on the side of caution and make it home alive every night.

This is entirely true. There are most definitely scumbags out there who have their LTCH and just haven't proven to a court that they are an "improper person" yet. I'm not advocating disarming everyone during every interaction but rather using one's instinct or powers of observation in any given situation. There are folks whom I have met who have their LTCH and whom I'd just as soon be unarmed when I'm around them. I'm not in favor of one cut and dry way of doing things.....

Hayseed_40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Strongbadia
    In the past,

Maybe he was cleaning it for you.

I notify if it is germaine to the situation. If it is next to my wallet and it may become part of the conversation, I tell in advance. If it were in my box - maybe maybe not. Last stop I had three with reach of my wallet - I notified him.

Just do not lie to him.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    I haven't been pulled over while carrying, but my wife has. Because her firearm was in her purse, she informed the officer. There were no issues.
    I probably wouldn't inform, depending on where the firearm was at.

Top Bottom