• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    My kids are 8-12. Need help choosing a good reasonably priced youth sized atv. I've never had one and don't know what to look for or where to buy in Indy or valpo. Thanks.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Don't get one.

A classmate of my son was killed last year on one. He drove into a sign and split his head in half in front of his home.

Get a go cart instead-it has a roll cage and seatbelts.

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    I think that argument is weak. People die in cars, people die from guns, people die falling downstairs. I think if you teach them responsible riding with full gear its a great idea and a lot of fun can be had.

That being said I've owned everything from dirtbikes to 4 wheelers, to street bikes and have never had an issue out of a honda (other than normal maintenance of course). I would highly reccomend a honda.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I've been around 4-wheelers and dirtbikes since I was 8. You oughta go to Dreyer's and check them out. They have a good selection of youth 4-wheelers and dirtbikes.

Cain71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Columbus
    I found a good deal on a kawasaki kfx 50 for my 7yr old now 8, set up great for kids,throttle adjustment and kill switch if the come off. The thing I liked the best was the throttle governing screw. I could walk a slow pace and keep up while he learned.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    My kids are 8-12. Need help choosing a good reasonably priced youth sized atv. I've never had one and don't know what to look for or where to buy in Indy or valpo. Thanks.

My kids started on 3 wheelers, ATC 70 and ATC 110, old cheap, and run forever. You can get them for $450-$500, ride them for 3-4 years, and sell them for $450-$500. Everyone has used parts for them.

As the kids get taller, we switch to XR 80 and XR 100 dirtbikes. I have a shed full of XR 250's wating for them when they hit their teens.

Hemets, good sturdy shoes or boots, and long pants EVERY TIME THEY RIDE, keep them off of the roads, they'll be fine.

If you ever want to see twin 5 year old boys behave really well, park the ATV for a week.

Don't forget to get a bike for you, so you can set a good example, and enjoy yourself too.

bonzaiberger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Milan
    + 1 on the helmets, ALWAYS ON AND ALWAYS STRAPPED! that being said stay away from the cheap ones made in China, Korea, Taiwan, where ever. Stick with a name brand bike and you will get more enjoyment out of it, it may cost more now but its worth it when it's still running after your kids grow out of it and you can sell it!:D

bonzaiberger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Milan
    Don't get one.

A classmate of my son was killed last year on one. He drove into a sign and split his head in half in front of his home.

Get a go cart instead-it has a roll cage and seatbelts.

This wouldn't have happened if he wqas wearing a DOT helmet.
    I'm not saying he wouldn't get hurt, but this wouldn't be the result.

Top Bottom