• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gordy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    Newton Co.
    I have always been leery of that when it has to have a mag in it to actuate the trigger to be disassembled. I will not put a mag back in it. I take a tool(blade screwdriver) and trip it. Just a thought. There are other options than the mag. I looked at that scenario once and totally changed my protocol and though about how many people would put a loaded mag back in it.......and boom. Thankfully ur all ok.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Is it striker fired guns overall that require the trigger pull to disassemble? I wonder if a 5 gal bucket of sand with a muzzle hole cut in the lid be appropriate as part of the cleaning gear for these pistols?

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Thankfully you're ok! ND's will happen... many people here have had them. Pointed in a safe direction WHEN the ND happened has saved most people from injury.

That being said, this is one big reason I despise Ruger (magazine [strike]safety[/strike] unsafety) and guns that require you to pull the trigger to field strip them...

RyanGSams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Portage
    Is it striker fired guns overall that require the trigger pull to disassemble? I wonder if a 5 gal bucket of sand with a muzzle hole cut in the lid be appropriate as part of the cleaning gear for these pistols?

My Smith and Wesson M&p doesnt require a trigger pull to release the slide. Not sure of any of the other ones though.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    My Glocks do obviously, my wife's Taurus 709 does not. The M&P I had did not.
    When I work on my Glocks, after the mag is removed, live round removed, the slide is racked several times and visually checked before pulling the trigger. I too like the 5 gallon bucket of sand and will look into incorporating it into the sequence.
    I have had 2 NDs over 23 years, both with new, unfamiliar guns and being in a hurry. Both happened within 6 months and it has been over 20 years of safe operations since. I made some major changes to the way I did things with and around guns and there have been no problems since.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    My dad had a ND last Thanksgiving. He was pointing his in a direction that was safe for those of us around him, but not so much for himself. He still limps and mom still has a 9mm hole in the floor.:(

Count yourself lucky, learn from your mistake, and count yourself lucky again for good measure.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    don't beat yourself up too bad. I doubt it will ever happen again.
    I had a ND back in the 90's... Same basic mistake you made. I loaded the gun and didn't realize it (foolish) and I shot my water bed with a 45acp Federal Hydro-shock.
    Luckily, the bed caught the round (mushroomed out beautifully BTW) so I only had to patch one hole.
    I have not had a ND since and that was about 20 years ago.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    don't beat yourself up too bad. I doubt it will ever happen again.
    I had a ND back in the 90's... Same basic mistake you made. I loaded the gun and didn't realize it (foolish) and I shot my water bed with a 45acp Federal Hydro-shock.
    Luckily, the bed caught the round (mushroomed out beautifully BTW) so I only had to patch one hole.
    I have not had a ND since and that was about 20 years ago.

I found a new use for old waterbeds....:ar15:

And your typo of Hydra-Shok* seems rather appropriate here. :):

* It's name is derived from the Greek mythical Hydra, a multiheaded beast.

Top Bottom