• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steeler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Clark county
    So yesterday I go to my property that I own/hunt to do a little cleanup work.
    My neighbor has a relative who hunts the property next to mine. Guy has a stand set up 5 yards his side of property line, trail camera 20 feet from that, and 10 foot from that he has a salt lick and a pile of corn.
    Instantly pisses me off. Baiting is poaching and apoacher is a thief in my eyes.

So what did I do you ask?
    Nothing. As bad as I want to make the call, all it will do is cause problems with the landowner who is a good person, but doesn't know squat about hunting and probably doesn't care to.
    I don't live on this property but I do have a barn and tractor there. I could see somebody trashing my stuff out of revenge.
    Bad thing is, he would know who made the call cause nobody else would be back there. Not to mention his trail camera took about 20 pics of me doing my work.

So I'm thinking a good alternative might be a bottle of cologne sprinkled around his stand?

comanche

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2013
    about 30 years ago when I bought my property I put a salt block out (read:buried flush) in the middle of summer to see if there were much deer activity. A week later went to check it out..somebody stole it...lol. didn't even fill in the hole..

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    I would suggest that you talk to your neighbor so that he is aware of what is going on. let him know that everything has to be gone for 10 days prior to hunting the area again.

The problem is now that you know about it and it is that close to your property, you could be sited for baiting. Now there is evidence that you know as there are pictures of you in the area.

The guy who is doing the baiting should know that you know now and that you are concerned about what could happen to you if DNR finds out.

RGriff69

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    Is someone currently hunting the stand? He might be planning to take the bait out 10 days before gun season.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If he is looking into your property with the camera is he hunting your land from the stand???

The land we hunt has a similar situation with the neighbor. He set up just inside the line looking into my friends property. My friend has his land set up for hunting. Deer/turkey and Coyote. They run amok on his place. He will not take a Doe only full rack bucks which he gets his limit every year.
    Idiot neighbor has taken Doe across the property line as we see the entrails and blood trail. We confronted the A$$ hat in question and informed him not to cross the line/not to take game off the property and to turn his stand. He did not. This year I fear it will go to the next level. I think this tree and stand are on the ground now. Chainsaws rule.
    People are idiots. They think it is cool to do such things missing out on the true nature of hunting.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Why buy Deer Scram, pee all over the area. Human pee has an effect on wildlife, it makes them nervous.

I agree with the above though, I'd eave him be.
    If it's that obvious he's sure to be caught eventually and you won't have to get your hands dirty doing it.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    You can drop the dime anomously although they will probably figure out who called.

I do not understand the thinking of people who believe it is ok to break laws just cause "they are on their own property".

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You can drop the dime anomously although they will probably figure out who called.

I do not understand the thinking of people who believe it is ok to break laws just cause "they are on their own property".

It is the mind set of private property owners and to a point i agree. My thing is he is posted up at the line and probably hunting both property's. That is wrong...period.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Why buy Deer Scram, pee all over the area. Human pee has an effect on wildlife, it makes them nervous.

If it's that obvious he's sure to be caught eventually and you won't have to get your hands dirty doing it.

human pee don't bother the deer out here one bit........and it's the guy property and no one has a right to tell him what to do with it.......as said up above you don't know when he'll pull the bait.....

Tranquil

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 1, 2013
    Plainfield

I've peed right below my treestand only to drop a buck a few minutes later multiple times. I don't believe that myth anymore! If anything I think it got them interested in sticking around to mark it!

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I would probably let a man do what he wants to do on his own property...
    If poachers illegally bait ON your land and you don't know about it, that won't matter to the DNR. I am not making this up either. It is interesting when the DNR tells you in advance of opener, in this case Turkey, that if you hunt on your land within X distance of the illegal bait pile on your land put there by poachers YOU will be busted. It had been placed after my last scouting trip and was exactly opposite of where I intended to be on day 1. We only found out by accident due to a discussion with a local DNR person in regards to the poacher/thrill killer/felons down the road and only then did he mention they were watching our land!

Ignorance is no excuse of the law and in this case the OP is not ignorant.......................this thread is proof of that and don't think the DNR is not in here watching threads. The internet is a PoPo dream come true.

There are people who get paid to deal with criminals for a living. Give the neighbor a heads up that when it comes to breaking the law, out of sight out of mind applies to their boundaries, fix it now or it gets reported. Next year, or next week, same rules apply. Keep it away from my eyes and my land.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    If he is looking into your property with the camera is he hunting your land from the stand???

The land we hunt has a similar situation with the neighbor. He set up just inside the line looking into my friends property. My friend has his land set up for hunting. Deer/turkey and Coyote. They run amok on his place. He will not take a Doe only full rack bucks which he gets his limit every year.
    Idiot neighbor has taken Doe across the property line as we see the entrails and blood trail. We confronted the A$$ hat in question and informed him not to cross the line/not to take game off the property and to turn his stand. He did not. This year I fear it will go to the next level. I think this tree and stand are on the ground now. Chainsaws rule.
    People are idiots. They think it is cool to do such things missing out on the true nature of hunting.
    We had that on our land. The stand was across the line in ideal spot on a field edge and too far in to be an accident. We removed the steps as it was all we had time to do. A day later I saw him out there rebuilding the steps with the lumber we had removed! We removed them again and saw sign of turkey having been poached. Later that day, I hunted out that way and all of a sudden some serious gun fire broke out. Like a dumb ass I headed over that way and all of a sudden it was like a Dukes of Hazzard reunion came over the hill out in the field in 3 vehicles. I dropped back. Next day we went out with a ladder, tools and fire. Removed and burned all lumber right there, dropped a few smaller trees around the big one and tied one of those GI Joe like hunter dolls to a rope and left it hanging in the tree.

Top Bottom