Netflix recommendation: MeatEater (no space)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I think he has one of the better shows out there currently. Not to take anything away from him but it doesn't take a whole lot to stand out in the industry, many of the shows are extremely cookie cutter in their approach. The industry has unfortunately become as bad as NASCAR when it comes to sponsor demands. Its refreshing to see a show which seemingly avoids the demands and has creative freedom to produce something truly entertaining.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Ya know - that is what's missing. The explicit product placement/endorsement. I kept expecting him or his buddy to say, "Here I've got the Renco 5000 shooting a proprietary cartridge that's a total game changer...." They didn't. They had their tools, they used their tools, and that was that.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    It won't be long and you'll see the hosts of a lot of these shows slapping sponsor stickers on a dead deer before they film themselves "finding" it. I wish I was kidding.

Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville
    Ya know - that is what's missing. The explicit product placement/endorsement. I kept expecting him or his buddy to say, "Here I've got the Renco 5000 shooting a proprietary cartridge that's a total game changer...." They didn't. They had their tools, they used their tools, and that was that.

He does not do endorsements during the show which greatly improves the show. If you ever catch a broadcast on The Sportsman Channel, there will be several commercials featurning him and the products he sponsors like First Light clothing, whatever knife he is using that week, etc. The show itself is about the hunt or area he is in, not the sponsors.

That alone elevates his show above the others.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I will say that it became very evident that Vortex Optics is a main sponsor. And it is evident in some episodes that they are sort of pushing specific brands, like using SOG knives and making their cuts so the prominent logos are well displayed. But I do like that you won't hear them mention the sponsor or name the sponsor... it's simply visible and easily ignored if it bothers you.

So your favorite show tells people who can't read about new places and ideas.
    How rich.

I don't get the hero worship or cosmic hippie meat worship nonsense.
    It was too much in his first show, and suspect with the gushing of people like you, it's even worse.

And no, I won't leave. Not even if you change from camo into a big vagina costume.

Meat worship? You're smoking crack... of course, we all knew that a long time ago. I'm simply a meat hunter, don't care about horns & antlers. Just want some meat in the freezer, so it's simply refreshing to see a hunting show that emphasizes that aspect. If you don't like the show can you at least just keep it on topic and quit repeating yourself? Your Alzheimers symptoms are kicking in and you keep repeating things you said the day before.

Did you want me to change into the vagina costume so you would have company? I don't have one personally but I suspect many of your friends do!!! Maybe they would appease you?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I will say that it became very evident that Vortex Optics is a main sponsor. And it is evident in some episodes that they are sort of pushing specific brands, like using SOG knives and making their cuts so the prominent logos are well displayed. But I do like that you won't hear them mention the sponsor or name the sponsor... it's simply visible and easily ignored if it bothers you.
    Oh sure - a program like that runs on sponsors. Camera angles for the gloves, and certain patches, etc. I have no problem with that. If someone had a camera on me, the logos would be visible, too. :D

I do appreciate, like you say, that they don't talk about the swag while hunting. When we hunt, we don't talk about that stuff. As we're gearing up, or in the down time, sure. So, I guess I wouldn't mind if it was conversational, but so many of these shows don't even try to make it like that.

Sports radio has gotten just as bad. I don't mind the ad-reads, but when a guest comes on does his thing, then pitches whatever product he gets a piece of, it just cheapens it.

bigbaloo95

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2014
    wolcottville
    Wow pretty heated for what I consider a pretty harmless show. Meateater is over the top sometimes but Netflix removing the commercials takes away the false drama you get on Sportsmans channel. It is mostly public land hunting and he respects his kills not like most shows which seem like one long infomercial at a canned hunting preserve.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I think he has one of the better shows out there currently. Not to take anything away from him but it doesn't take a whole lot to stand out in the industry, many of the shows are extremely cookie cutter in their approach. The industry has unfortunately become as bad as NASCAR when it comes to sponsor demands. Its refreshing to see a show which seemingly avoids the demands and has creative freedom to produce something truly entertaining.

This right here. I love to hunt, but hunting shows are usually terrible. I really like Steve's stuff, including his writing. If he errs on the side of being too hippie about eating all the meat, no worries. I much prefer that to the usual "Look how awesome I am, and my awesome trophy, couldn't have done it without my awesome designer bow" kind of show.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I just watched a couple more episodes, including the one with Joe Rogan and Brian Callen where they didn't get anything. Yeah, I was surprised that they aired a hunting show where nothing got killed! Groundbreaking! :) Yeah, other shows may have done that, too, but I don't really watch much of these because they are so canned.

Also watched the first part of the one in Bolivia. I like how he shares his own perspective, as conflicted as it may be, about what's going on. Not just about the hunt, but the people involved. I have friends who've gone on safari who've had similar experiences. Its probably more talking that most of the "hunting show market" might prefer, but when he cited principles from an anthropologist about curiosity's role in exploration, that was pretty cool.

I'm diggin it.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    Ive been told if you set up kodi with the newest build you can watch anything ever made when ever you want and the best part it's all free.

Last edited:

rausch51

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    The Ville
    Steve Rinella is probably as far from your stereotypical TV hunting personality as you'll find. You can't begrudge a few sponsor plugs, considering they make it possible for his show to be on the air.

Steve had a show on Travel Channel for one season title The Wild Within. He did a hog hunt in Hawaii with dogs, easily the most intense thing I've ever seen on tv.

I'd also recommend his book, American Buffalo. A rare book that is worth reading more than once.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    A truly refreshing hunting and fishing show. Nice to see other hunters going through some of the obstacles that most of us go through such as trying to call in an animal but instead spooking it away or not seeing anything all day. Also great to see that it's the hunt that is exciting not the size of the trophy. Wish I could see earlier episodes.

exodus125

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    Great show, my daughter and I love it. She has watched the one where he makes meatballs and meatloaf about 7 or 8 times. She loves cooking shoes too, lol.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    florez30
    Top Bottom