• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jamesb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I have decided to get a 1911 to carry and to shoot in steel matches or 3gun if I get the bug. Just some background I own one 1911, a full size colt 1991a1, bought new the first year they came out. I currently carry, depending on the weather a springfield XDSC9 or S&W 340PD. I want the new 1911 to have a rail and be in 45ACP. Now to the questions.

1. For those of you who carry a 1911 is there much difference in a full size and a commander size when it comes to concealing it? Is the main difference just the barrel length and does the extra inch make much of a difference? My full size seems to carry well and the weight is fine with a good belt.

2. Looking at models and manufacturers, I know about kimber, colt, S&W and springfields. I want to stay at 1000.00 or less and have been looking at the springfield champion operator and sig1911 carry scorpion models. Both seem to have good reviews. Are there other manufacturers I should be looking at a lower price point?

Hoping to see and handle a few 1911s at the 1500 this weekend to possible bring one home.
    thanks
    Jim

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have a full size Sig Scorpion and it is a really good gun. In my opinion, the size does make a difference (could not bring myself to type: size matters). When I carry a full size 1911, I find it is easy to carry most of the day long, but if I get into a car or sit on furniture that I care about (other people's that is), it can prove difficult. That extra inch of barrel forces the grip hard into whatever you are sitting on. I have a nice hole in the leather seat on my project car from my full size Remington 1911 because of that.

A Commander size reduces that problem a bit by not pushing the grip back as hard. A full size gun with a bobtail helps with this a lot too. If you use mags that have the broad plastic base plates, they distribute the pressure somewhat also and can help protect stuff from scuffs. The Sig Scorpions have extended grip panels that form a small mag well and these are easier on furniture once they've broken in a bit and become a bit less like a cheese grater. On the other hand, the extended grips also add to the pressure so there is little real gain outside of the larger area spreading the pressure out more, making it less likely to poke a hole in someone's couch.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    1. Since you said you're comfy carrying a full size 1911, get a full size or a commander. Why on earth would you go to a smaller gun if you're comfy carrying a full size? (Rhetorical)

2. Those are both good choices. I think either would make you happy.

Top Bottom