• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryang

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    If money is a factor I would go with the XD 9, I have one and got it cheap and love it. seems like it could fit all of your purposes well

Hiker1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    South
    Used Sig 226/228. I mean, I know it's not anything on your list, but for a non-carry 9mm, it's the best option, in my opinion. You can find a used one for between $500 and $600, typically.

That, combined with the fact that there's many of these floating around with fewer than 200 rounds through the tube.

xdmstu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Lower NE Indy
    +1 on the CZ 75 models. Affordable, reliable, accurate. You can get it in a variety of configurations (decocker or manual safety) and in both full size or compact versions (75 D compact or P-01).

XDM 9 was my first handgun when I returned to firearms. Very well built and very easy to maintain. A really good, all around handgun. However, after I got my CZ 75 D compact, I find it is my go to range gun and for Friday Night Steel shooting. The CZ just fits my hands really well. The XDM just sits in the case. All the specs tell me I should favor the XDM... but the allure of the CZ's silhouette and balance... :draw:

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    I appreciate all of the input everyone. The search is still on.

After more digging, my interest in the SR9 is growing. I am hoping to handle one soon.

I realize that whatever route I go, it will be a great first handgun. And, just like everything else that stems from this site, it will only be the beginning of many more...

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Just an update to finish out this discussion - I purchased a SR9 this past Friday from Beech Grove Fireamrs. I am really excited to welcome this as my first handgun purchase. Hoping to get out and shoot it this coming weekend!

And, what the heck, here are a couple pics for your viewing pleasure... :ingo:

9f12c1fd.jpg

4be7ef44.jpg

2efd500e.jpg

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Hate to burst your bubble, but you guys are a little late to the party. If you read up a couple of posts, you will see the gun that I purchased from the list.

That's what I get for opening the thread, get up for dinner and come back and posting without refreshing the page.

Easy1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Kokomo
    I have both XD9 and SR9 both are really nice pistols, but I'd go with the Ruger first - 1.) AM (American Made) 2.) mag holds 17! Both are in your price range. I'm bias'd too cause the SR was my first purchase too :)!

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Just an update to finish out this discussion - I purchased a SR9 this past Friday from Beech Grove Fireamrs. I am really excited to welcome this as my first handgun purchase. Hoping to get out and shoot it this coming weekend!

Good choice. Be sure to do a basic disassembly and cleaning. You should also do a cleaning of the stiker channel. :yesway:

justcallmedoc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Central Indiana
    I got the m&p9c for the better half, $485 new..The full size was the same price.. Flawless operation, it's feels great in the hand as well.. I'm sure to full size would be as nice..

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Anderson
    I looked at the Springfields and the S&W when I was looking last year (I didn't look at the SR9, but I have since then). I wasn't a fan of the XDM or XD 9. It didn't fit in my hand real well, I thought the grip felt cheap, and I didn't care for the trigger. I bought a M&P9c (compact... which I know you're not looking at, but I wanted you to know), and I have loved it. I love the way it fit in my hand. I love the way it operated (in terms of mag release, trigger pull, safety location and operation, etc). I'm also a fan of the SR9, and REALLY like the loaded chamber indicator. If I had to do it all over again, I'd still go with the S&W, but I do kinda wish the M&P would have a chamber indicator like the SR9.

Just my .02

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    let us know how you like it. im kinda on the same dilemma. anybody buy from budsgunshop.com? seem like great prices.

I'm not sure where you are located, but you may do some checking with the LGS's in your area. If you are specifically interested in the SR9, Buds prices may not be that much lower than in a local shop.

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    just my 2 cent. taurus pt92. 9mm ammo fairly cheap. has multiple safety points. chamber indicator. also right around 500$ at bradis i got one and love it just a thought

Top Bottom