• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

downlinx

Expert
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Lafayette, IN
    Time has come for me to get a new rifle. Should I build an AR or buy an AK?
    Don't ask about money as now is not the time, now is decision time

Edit
    Well, easiest way to answer is that I have an ar now and I already have a Remington r700 .308 and howa lightning 30-06 rifle. I have shotguns a plenty and 2 nagants.

Last edited:
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    I vote for the AK-74. Mags are a little hard to come by though, but the ammo is cheaper. I traded an AR for my Arsenal AK-74 and I do not regret it at all. It is really fun to shoot, easy to maintain, and a little cheaper than an AR.

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    Big difference in the 2, what are you wanting to rifle to do? You have alot more flexibility with calibers, accessories, and just plain optins with an AR.

HmDBrian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    valparaiso
    This question is impossible to answer without knowing what you have and in what caliber.

This ^^. Just not enough info on what your looking for in a rifle. If your just askiny what others would personally do, I would go ar. I just traded my ak74 for an ar and love it. Not as cheap to shoot, especially if you dont shoot steel, like myself.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    Ak. They are durable as could be, cheap ammo, easy to work on/fix, and fun. Also look up fpsrussia's ak47 bacon sundae on YouTube, if you haven't.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Can't go wrong with a Waffen works AK74. Especially right now. 5.45 is about 0.18/rd and abundant! Very fun gun to shoot also.

downlinx

Expert
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Lafayette, IN
    This question is impossible to answer without knowing what you have and in what caliber.

This ^^. Just not enough info on what your looking for in a rifle. If your just askiny what others would personally do, I would go ar. I just traded my ak74 for an ar and love it. Not as cheap to shoot, especially if you dont shoot steel, like myself.

Well, easiest way to answer is that I have an ar now and I already have a Remington r700 .308 and howa lightning 30-06 rifle. I have shotguns a plenty and 2 nagants.

Last edited:

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Without making more out of your question than what you asked, I'd say go for a quality AK. Having used both in, I have great respect for the AK.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I voted AK. You have a Russian theme going on with the Mosins, so why change from that. I like shooting ARs more than AKs, but they are both great to shoot.

dantrom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Steuben Co.
    Since you already have an AR I would opt for the ak74 ammo is much cheaper. But I am concerned about how difficult it may become to get. I believe I read somewhere on this site that our commander gave Eric Holder permission to stop importing guns and AMMO!

If this is true, the cheap ammo argument may not hold any weight in the near futurefor any ak variant rifle..

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I voted other. Get an M14 clone or quality FAL. I've not too many that own them that ever regretted them. Buy LC surplus brass and learn to reload for them.

Echelon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Get the one you like to shoot. Never buy because ammo is cheap or available today... that won't always be the case tomorrow.

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    My vote is to build an AK and use the left over money on mags and ammo.

That is just what I was thinking!

Kits are around $300
    AK47, AK74, Galil Webpage
    Or you could go with the barrel already mounted & head spaced
    Parts Kits :: Kits With Barrels Installed :: Bulgarian AK74 5.45 x 39 Triangle Sidefolder Kit With Chromed US Barrel - AK-Builder.com
    Receivers are about $62
    AK Receivers
    New chrome lined barrel $139
    Shipping Accessories : AK 74 5.45x39 Chrome Lined Barrel
    And directions to put it all together
    Pookieweb
    You come out with a piece of history that you built yourself. :rockwoot:

Since you already have an AR I would opt for the ak74 ammo is much cheaper. But I am concerned about how difficult it may become to get. I believe I read somewhere on this site that our commander gave Eric Holder permission to stop importing guns and AMMO!

If this is true, the cheap ammo argument may not hold any weight in the near futurefor any ak variant rifle..

Hornady is a US co. & makes 5.45x39 rounds. Right now in the middle of a panic they are still available & cost less than AR ammo.
    http://gungearstore.com/hornady-5-45x39-60gr-v-max-steel-50

Last edited:
    Top Bottom