• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    I picked up a new M&P 15 Sport II recently. Haven't fired it, yet. But that's going to be later this week. I've found quite a bit on youtube about how to clean and lube it. My question is regarding the BCG. I field stripped it to make sure I got the process down and knew what was what. However, the surfaces on the BCG are sort of sticky to the touch. Using some CLP and a cloth didn't improve things at all. Is this something that needs solvent, some oil? I'm new to the AR scene.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Clean off that sticky stuff with whatever will cut it. Then be fairly liberal with the lube. You can clean the bcg as often as you like. Some guys clean them every time they shoot and some wait every 1K rounds. Some of my AR's are sitting in the safe that haven't been cleaned in at least 300rds. It bothers me not. When I get them back out I just lube up the bcg and go shoot.

HnK

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Brake parts cleaner followed immediately by your lube of choice. You don't need to lube the bolt face.

Huntinfool

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Yes sticky is not what you want. Slick is good. - Some AR's won't run well if they aren't lubed up good. Most can't be too wet. Excess lube gets removed with the firet couple of cycles. But can drip down into the FCG and gum that area up.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Pick up some Hoppy's #9. Pour a little on a clothe and thoroughly wipe it down. I would disassemble it to do it. Most AR's like really wet bolts. Lube with light oil. the bolt sShould be shiny with oil.

Everyone had different opinions on cleaning. Me: If I only shoot it 30-40 times and I know I am going out again soon I don't bother. But over 150 I like to clean it. I will give it a shot of Remoil threw the dust cover if it has been a month or so. To each his own. I like my guns clean. I have a 6 year old AR with probably 30k round threw it. Runs flawless. Never have had a issue with it. And amazingly it is still pretty accurate.

knutty

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 5, 2016
    Noblesville
    Hose the BCG down with CLP and shoot the thing. These guns are tough and are made to function under tough conditions contrary to what internet forums say. It is probably covered with some kind of storage grease, dont overthink it.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I'm in the "lube and go". These aren't benchrest rifles being shot for tiny groups. Dirty and lubed> clean and dry.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    AR BCG's only touch the upper on the four flat surfaces. Anything curved is not touching anything. Lube the four flat surfaces. Are they called rails? I have never known....

thomasred5

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 15, 2016
    Central Indiana
    Lube or not to lube and how much is too much. Larry Vickers did a video on "over lubrication" once. I never fire any of my rifles without at least some lube on the high contact areas. For AR's (especially if it has a standard phosphate bolt) I use break free CLP. Just squirt it on the bolt behind the lugs, on the bottom of the bolt where it rides on the upper rails, and on both sides and on top of of the gas key. I just squirt it all over it and then shake the excess.

As far as cleaning, I take mine apart and throw it in a ultrasonic cleaner. You don't have to clean it everytime IMO, but remember every time you don't clean it and use it, it's getting carbon build up, especially on the bolt behind the gas rings. Find your happy medium.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    The carbon build up protects the underlying surface from additional carbon, so I keep my AR pretty dirty. For its own good, y'know.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Pat Rogers/EAG used to run a rifle that had only been cleaned ONCE, at upwards of 25K rounds, and it never failed. It was liberally lubed at each class before and during use, over 1000 rounds at a time. It was a QUALITY built rifle, LMT, BCM, Colt, don't remember which. Every part was Mil-Spec or better, and it was properly assembled. I think it went 30K something before it failed, or they retired it? Moral of the story, properly built, proper parts, require very little in the way of upkeep. I run my QUALITY rifles a couple thousand before cleaning, sometimes more. Lotsa lube love, and a good rifle will keep chugging!

ETA: they actually did a SWAT magazine article on the "Filthy 14". It was BCM, and it had several failures, starting at 6400 rounds and a year in service without cleaning.

Last edited:

thomasred5

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 15, 2016
    Central Indiana
    lol, yes! I honestly just keeping adding lube until I feel really guilty then just ultrasonic clean it. I've gotten so lazy with AR's cleanliness...
    The carbon build up protects the underlying surface from additional carbon, so I keep my AR pretty dirty. For its own good, y'know.

jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    Brake parts cleaner followed immediately by your lube of choice. You don't need to lube the bolt face.

This. Then hose it down with lube. In my experience, the BCG loves to swim. I shoot a ton and a lot of it is suppressed. I might clean once a year? The only time I really make it a point to clean is if I just shot a match in the rain. But that's just me.

Top Bottom