New ATF employees, shorter NFA wait times?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Here is an interesting article

Form 1 and Form 4 Wait Times expected to decrease - NFA Gun Trust Lawyer Blog

I guess the ATF hired more NFA investigators, three times as many as before. Has anyone heard about this?

It's been posted here before (and on other NFA boards).

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/class_iii_nfa/250508-more_nfa_examiners_hired_hoooray.html

It will take them some time to fill the open positions (hopefully, they'll keep the same temp researchers they had before to cut down training time). Considering I just bought 2 suppressors and am waiting on the Form 3 to clear to my dealer so I can start my Form 4s, I have my fingers crossed that we might see wait times drop back to 90 days (though I have a feeling it's probably not going to happen in time to help me).

Correction: According to your article, it says they already hired the 9 new examiners. Hmm, maybe I'm in good shape after all. :ingo:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    That just gives them more people on the federal payroll with the ability to stomp on your constitutional rights.

Sorry that is not what you want to hear, but just my 2 cents on an out of control government.

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    That just gives them more people on the federal payroll with the ability to stomp on your constitutional rights.

Sorry that is not what you want to hear, but just my 2 cents on an out of control government.

I agree with your sentiment. However, the only way to end the unconstitutional :poop: that is the NFA is for either Congress to repeal it (extremely unlikely) or the Supreme Court to rule it unconstitutional (also unlikely, but maybe slightly more likely than Congress). Until that happens, we are stuck with the government deciding who gets to have Class III items and who doesn't.

By having more examiners and encouraging more and more people to get into Class III shooting, we make it harder and harder for the government to go the other way and just outright ban them. When there are only a handful of NFA owners out there, it's easy enough to just ban everything. If there are millions, then all of a sudden a lot of voters have an interest in maintaining and expanding NFA rights.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I'm finally getting my toes wet in NFA after my January bonus, I haven't been able to shut up about it since I figured out it was going to be bigger than any of my previous ones, and my fiance would tell you that I have been even more excited over the additional examiners. Less wait time means it is less painful to have money tied up in items I won't see for a few months, which means I will be more likely to buy them!

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    I was at the NFATCA meeting with ATF at SAR .
    Yes 9 new examiners were hired .
    The first 5 or 6 can't remember , are projected to be trained & working by April .
    And yes the assistants were contracted for another year .

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I was at the NFATCA meeting with ATF at SAR .
    Yes 9 new examiners were hired .
    The first 5 or 6 can't remember , are projected to be trained & working by April .
    And yes the assistants were contracted for another year .

Thanks for the info. That's good news.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Mailed off my first form 4 June 28th, got it yesterday (the 21st). I have several friends who sent there's in a couple days after me and they got there's the same day, so just a touch under 6 months :yesway:

Top Bottom