• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Here's an idea. How about they move forward from the stone age, and utilize a little technology? Treat it like a business. Only government could run something so poorly, and stay afloat.
    1) Submit your prints once, keep them on file for future use.
    2) Submit forms online. Surely someone could make a program that could run your information and background check.
    3) Pay with a credit card online as well.

Yeah, and it'll cost $250 million to develop and implement, over-run its budget by $100 million, take 10 years, and eventually be scrapped as a failure.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    Look, for the ATF to add examiners, they need more money. In fact, the article quoted even says that the ATF wants you to write your representatives and ask for funding increases. That means that $200 PER FORM isn't enough money to cover it anymore, even with the massive influx of tax stamp fees over the last two years. More Forms submitted should mean more money, but obviously that $200 tax stamp doesn't cover NFA's costs. Do you think they're going to divert money from the Lotto to cover the increased costs? At some point, some bureaucrat is going to say "Hey, the NFA buyers are the ones demanding it, they should be the ones to pay for it!" and then suddenly the tax stamp goes from $200 to $1000. Or $2000. Or more.

The ATF doesn't write the laws that put items on the NFA, but they are in a VERY powerful position to recommend laws related to what items are listed. Or they can relax their position on what constitutes a suppressor. They will never recommend that their department spend less money, though, when they can engineer a situation where their department requires more money and more personnel.
    I was under the impression that the $200 goes to the Treasury Department in the general slush fund and not to the ATF. Has anyone seen where this is true or not?

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Here's an idea. How about they move forward from the stone age, and utilize a little technology? Treat it like a business. Only government could run something so poorly, and stay afloat.
    1) Submit your prints once, keep them on file for future use.
    2) Submit forms online. Surely someone could make a program that could run your information and background check.
    3) Pay with a credit card online as well.

But of course, the govt is not a business, and in this case has the ability to make the rules that require their involvement and that if you want an item on the list you must follow their rules. Also, do you really think the govt has an interest in making it quicker or more efficient?

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    But of course, the govt is not a business, and in this case has the ability to make the rules that require their involvement and that if you want an item on the list you must follow their rules. Also, do you really think the govt has an interest in making it quicker or more efficient?

Absolutely not. Everything about the process seems to discourage NFA ownership.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I was under the impression that the $200 goes to the Treasury Department in the general slush fund and not to the ATF. Has anyone seen where this is true or not?

This is correct. The tax stamp revenue goes straight into the general fund and has NO correlation to NFA branch or ATF's budget. If it did, we'd have LOTS of examiners. There's plenty of tax-paid transfers to cover additional staff, but tax stamp revenue has NOTHING to do with it.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    This is correct. The tax stamp revenue goes straight into the general fund and has NO correlation to NFA branch or ATF's budget. If it did, we'd have LOTS of examiners. There's plenty of tax-paid transfers to cover additional staff, but tax stamp revenue has NOTHING to do with it.

This is exactly what I was trying to say earlier. We know the NFA isn't going away anytime soon. We need to push to keep the money spent on tax stamps within the nfa branch.

Sig

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2011
    For those interested:

From the latest NFATCA newsletter:

"As of right now, the NFA Branch in Martinsburg, West Virginia is reporting an average turnaround time for a Form 1 or 4 to be pushing seven months.

Ouch
    This could crimp using my most recent acquisition for an event I want to attend this summer.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I did hear there was talk of suppressors being taken off the registry from my dealer

Well, that talk's not very serious as I don't even think a bill has been introduced in Congress to do that, which is what it would take. Both House and Senate, plus BO's signature.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Silencers will never come off the NFA Registry. You can't get 60 votes in the Senate.

The fine for silencers will not be raised over $200. You can't get 60 votes in the Senate.

The most reasonable thing to do given the political climate is to upgrade the technology and allow a NICS type purchase.

hotrodtba

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    Ossian
    Just remember, the National Firearms Act was setup in 1934 to DISCOURAGE the sale of these items. I am guessing the ATF has no desire to do anything of major significance to speed up the process. If anything, I could see them restricting them further or raising the fee due to the popularity of such items.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Ugh. 7 months? I guess I should buy my suppressor and then save up for the upper to mount it on, otherwise I'll not be getting it for a year or more! That makes me sad :(.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Just remember, the National Firearms Act was setup in 1934 to DISCOURAGE the sale of these items. I am guessing the ATF has no desire to do anything of major significance to speed up the process. If anything, I could see them restricting them further or raising the fee due to the popularity of such items.

ATF cant raise the fee. It takes an act of Congress to do that. They can and do slow the process, though. There's probably a calculated line they walk to avoid what woulx be perceived by the courts as an unconstitutional infringement while maintaining the discouragement factor.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    Since the assistants were hired I noticed that they were the ones sending out problem status forms, and Dudash was the name on the approval. I received two approved forms this week from different examiners. It seems that they are up to speed and starting to bust out forms!

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I read a post of Facebook from SilencerShop or Silenced America that forms were starting to come back faster now.

Top Bottom