• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    I agree with those above that state the ATF doesn't have the resources to track down millions of unregistered/no-stamp SBR's. But as they come across them through other run of the mill investigations/actions, they most certainly will break it off in the *** of the individual that didn't play along with their new "rule". The idea that my purchase on Monday was legal, became illegal on Tuesday and I have a deadline of Wednesday to come into compliance is so, so, so wrong. But what am I to do? Legally fight an entity with unlimited resources coupled with their existing chevron deference? I suspect most people could ignore this, remain quiet about what may or may not be in their closet. But what good is a gun that must remain hidden? Without successful lawsuits against this, the common man is screwed.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I wanted an AR pistol because all the cool kids had one. So I built one and it turns out they are really s****y pistols. With the brace on it it can be used as an uncomfortable short barreled rifle but mine is not accurate so it is a really s****y short barreled rifle too. If it was accurate I would probably keep it and jump through some hoops for it but I am not interested in anything inaccurate. So mine will get a 16 inch barrel, maybe more than once, until it becomes much more accurate.

defaultdotxbe

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2020
    Griffith
    For the record I'm not talking about keeping a braced pistol in an illegal SBR configuration, I'm talking about removing the brace (rendering the pistol a pistol again) but not destroying it because the brace itself isn't illegal (ATF's rule comes right out and says so) and I might attach it legally to something else in the future.

Another interesting note, I actually have a second brace that I never attached to anything, the ATF's rule seems to put no requirements on me to do anything with that, other than not attach it in a manner that create an SBR.

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    Does the name Randy Weaver, 1992 ring any bells? An ATF agent says 'please, please,Please cut the barrel on my shotgun for me! I don't have the tools, but I did make a mark right where I want you to cut it.'

They don't go after 4473 violators because they don't have anything the Gov't wants, and there's a cost to pursue it. As I understand it, they wanted Weaver to become their informant on others, so they got him to commit a NFA felony to apply pressure. It's never about the bump stock or the brace, it's about whether you've got something they want or not.
    did you see my first post in this thread?

after hearing the statement made about the atf "missing out on 1/4 billion dollars anually"....

short term: money!
    we all know their long game.

i really do see them coming back to the "grace period" folks and "asking" for the $200 anyway.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Some of the comments.

I'm convinced that they do this crap in an effort to deliberately bait somebody into acting out. "Look at these crazy gun nuts assaulting our helpless public servants! Aren't they violent? Don't they need to be put in their place?"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Some of the response tweets...

"There's a surprising lack of glory holes in your booth this year"
    "Hey guys, I just raided people for something I said was legal but changed my mind about"
    "No one likes you"
    "I will never comply"

And of course there are endless "shoot the dog" jokes. What really is their purpose for attending a SHOT show? And act like they're 'one of the guys' while there. Pointless.

tackdriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    did you see my first post in this thread?

after hearing the statement made about the atf "missing out on 1/4 billion dollars anually"....

short term: money!
    we all know their long game.

i really do see them coming back to the "grace period" folks and "asking" for the $200 anyway.
    I won't disagree with you. I'm not sure what mechanics they can use to get there, but I won't say they can't.

In an insane world, where logic, reason, honor, rules are irrelevant, nothing really suprises me anymore.

Scratch that - I'm shocked when: people/agencies stand by their word; when elected people actually represent the people; when un-elected "officials" serve the people and the spirit of the law; and especially when any of them does anything that's against their own personal interest just because it's the right thing to do. I really haven't seen that last one in a long while.

Nope - it won't shock me in the least if your theory is proven right.

Top Bottom