Anderson
    bearsign.jpg

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Love it! On a serious note, a good friend of mine was at GLacier Natl Park and had 2 black bear cubs AND their mother cross about 60 yds the trail in front of them. They didn't seem to notice or care about the humans and moved along without incident. If that were an encounter at 10yds, who knows what would have happened. Glacier is great because they allow you to legally carry in the park -- bring enough gun.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    60 yards? Still too close for my personal comfort - especially a sow with two cubs!!!

Hope they (the people) were upwind!

-J-

Love it! On a serious note, a good friend of mine was at GLacier Natl Park and had 2 black bear cubs AND their mother cross about 60 yds the trail in front of them. They didn't seem to notice or care about the humans and moved along without incident. If that were an encounter at 10yds, who knows what would have happened. Glacier is great because they allow you to legally carry in the park -- bring enough gun.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Reminds me of the guy buying a .44 Mag revolver before heading to Alaska for defense from bears.

The shop owner asks him if he would like the front site filed down.

Guys asks if this is because you normally shoot low during the stress of a bear attack.

Owners says, Nah. Just makes it hurt less after you empty the gun into him and the grizzly takes it from you and shoves it up your ass.

bsmant

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012

My wife and I spent a week there last year. It is an absolutely wonderful place, to which we will be returning. I carried a 44mag every time we were out on the trail, and my wife who generally doesn't like to be near guns verified that I had 'the big gun' every time we got out of the truck, and that it was within reach when we went to bed at night.

The only bear we saw was a black cub in the woods to the side of the road as we were driving that day, nothing on the trail.

I'm very glad I didn't need the gun, 44mag would only be marginal against a grizzly, and there would be a lot of paperwork, but I am certainly glad I carried it, just in case.

Kaardomos

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    Milltown, Indiana
    My wife and I spent a week there last year. It is an absolutely wonderful place, to which we will be returning. I carried a 44mag every time we were out on the trail, and my wife who generally doesn't like to be near guns verified that I had 'the big gun' every time we got out of the truck, and that it was within reach when we went to bed at night.

The only bear we saw was a black cub in the woods to the side of the road as we were driving that day, nothing on the trail.

I'm very glad I didn't need the gun, 44mag would only be marginal against a grizzly, and there would be a lot of paperwork, but I am certainly glad I carried it, just in case.

I went in 2008. Saw both a black bear and a grizzly. Wish I could've got a pic of the griz.

Black Bear by Steven Berry, on Flickr

The scenery isn't bad either.

Many Glacier Hotel by Steven Berry, on Flickr

Avalanche Creek 4 by Steven Berry, on Flickr

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Was in Yukon near the Alaska border on my Goldwing when Mr Griz walked up out of the ditch about 25 yards in front of me and I stopped. First minute I was wondering how the heck I was going to turn my big ol bike around on that gravel before I became an ours'devour. I was in Canada, so I had no peashooter with me. I guess he must have already ate breakfast that morning, as I am still here to share it with you. I would have offered him some nail clippers, but something told me he would not be interested. Good thing I brought some extra underwear.

Grizzly3.jpg

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    Was in Yukon near the Alaska border on my Goldwing when Mr Griz walked up out of the ditch about 25 yards in front of me and I stopped. First minute I was wondering how the heck I was going to turn my big ol bike around on that gravel before I became an ours'devour. I was in Canada, so I had no peashooter with me. I guess he must have already ate breakfast that morning, as I am still here to share it with you. I would have offered him some nail clippers, but something told me he would not be interested. Good thing I brought some extra underwear.

Grizzly3.jpg

Incredible experience! :yesway:

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    if not longer, what was the old native American sayiing? A hawk could see a single snowflake fall, a deer could hear it fall and a bear could smell it.

When I watched one of the episodes of 'Mountain Men' on NATGEO, the moderator stated that the bear has a sense of smell 2100 times greater than that of humans.

Top Bottom