• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    My question is, why? When there are so many better/lighter/less expensive .380s on the market these days, resurrecting the Mustang seems a bit of an odd choice for Colt. I'd rather they have brought back the Detective Special or something instead.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Because so many guys will get in line and pay lots of money for that little horse stamped on there. I'm not Colt bashing but after working on 1911 Colts and Springfields and Kimbers and Norincos for years I honestly cannot see that they are ANY better then their competition. But it's like the whole Harley Davidson thing. People put a lot of stock in a name.

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    My question is, why? When there are so many better/lighter/less expensive .380s on the market these days, resurrecting the Mustang seems a bit of an odd choice for Colt. I'd rather they have brought back the Detective Special or something instead.

Why not the Python. Id stand in line to get one if they were under a 1k

MarkRW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I saw this Colt at popguns and, based just on looks, to my taste it's a nicer looking gun than the Sig P238 Gambler. Can't say I would pay $650 for one, but, going by looks alone, it has appeal.

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Plainfield Shooting Supplies had one a month ago. It was $595. I was looking for a pocket gun at the time. I played with it and The Sig238. It is way nicer then the Sig238 IMO. But I bought another H&K instead of a pocket gun.:D

mwg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    east side indy
    Plainfield Shooting Supplies had one a month ago. It was $595. I was looking for a pocket gun at the time. I played with it and The Sig238. It is way nicer then the Sig238 IMO. But I bought another H&K instead of a pocket gun.:D
    i would have done the same . it is a lot for a little gun they are tempting

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Grant County
    If I remember correctly, didn't the original Colt Mustang have reliability issues?
    I've had two over the years and both had feed/ejection issues. Never could get them to run consistently. And that was with hardball.
    I just hope Colt has the bugs worked out on the new release.

Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    I read an add in a gun rag a month ago, said they had the bugs worked out that the old ones experienced.

In the pic, it looked like the trigger was still black plastic though, and I assume the guide rod is still plastic.

I want one though, I have been slavering for some years for a mustang for my colt collection.

Johnny C

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I would love to see a picture of a new one. At $595 they are a little pricey for a .380, but common sense has never stopped me from buying a gun I wanted.

Also, as mentioned by a previous poster, I would be all over a new Python if Colt ever decided to start producing them again.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    Back in the early 90's I could've gotten one brand new for like $375. Could kick my butt for passing on it. That being said I wouldn't part with my LCP...

60Driver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Hamilton County
    I have an original that was mildly tuned as a BUG and find it both reliable and accurate within my skill set for a small pistol. I think the 238s sights are clearly superior but aside from that they are on par with each other.

For me the advantage of the Mustang / 238 is having a single action trigger and enough mass compared to the lightweight .380s to soak up recoil for follow ups. Little guns are tough to shoot well, so I will take all the help I can get!

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    i have had 2 and still have 1 of them...had a 2 tone and a SS...still have the SS...i respringed and changed the guide rods.....both shoot great very very reliable and more accurate than me......i have it's older brother to a 1908 380 Hammerless.....Mustang's are great bug....i hope the new ones are as good as the old ones...

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I have an original that was mildly tuned as a BUG and find it both reliable and accurate within my skill set for a small pistol. I think the 238s sights are clearly superior but aside from that they are on par with each other.

For me the advantage of the Mustang / 238 is having a single action trigger and enough mass compared to the lightweight .380s to soak up recoil for follow ups. Little guns are tough to shoot well, so I will take all the help I can get!
    I agree with this wholeheartedly. Some mission specific guns are better off not being polymer. I think the plastic guns are great for certain calibers but not all.

Top Bottom