• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    This law has been in the works for some time. I'm glad it finally got through. There are a couple of lights in Columbus that I've had this problem at, even with my heavy, metal bike. Most of the time, if I roll my bike back and forth it triggers the sensors, but not always.

X piller X

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Indy
    There is one light in particular on my commute home that my car never triggers. I drive home at around 10:30 at night and its a semi-rural road. So needless to say, I typically get impatient at around the 2 minute mark

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    I sat at one of the dead reds for about 10-20 nminutes years ago in Lafayette at about 2 am. Finally got waved through by a patrol. THIS IS A GREAT CHANGE.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    The Highway department must have been able to fix it at one time. I never had trouble on US 31 north of Kokomo, until they redid all the intersections, and then I couldn't trip any of them.

The one turning into the Markland Mall when traveling on 31 North
    (now 931, 31 north is the bypass of the bypass.....)
    is like that, it will NEVER turn when I am on my motorcycle.
    I have went through that one numerous times. Sometimes it won't trigger when my truck is setting on top of it.

Llamaguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkadelphia, AR
    I don't think I ever waited or would wait two minutes. Time the next time you're sitting at a light, even a "long" light probably isn't more than a minute. The few times this would happen (usually at night) I treated it like a malfunctioning signal as KittySlayer mentioned.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Most of them running around Elkhart are bigger than 50 CC but are flying under the radar. The way the roads are around here with tons of potholes I wouldn't want to be on one.

Last edited:

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    One thing I've found, with bikes having little non-ferrous metal, is parking on the joint of the 'octagon', not in the middle of it. As I understand it, it's not some big 'magnetic plate' underneath the asphalt, but a 'ribbon' or wire underneath those tarred-over joints. So, I'll pull up to where the bike sits over one of the 'intersections' of 2 or 3 of the 'sides' or 'corners'. So far, that's worked pretty well.

Can have the same issue with cars as they seem to head evermore toward less and less ferrous metal, for weight savings. Don't know what you'd do with some hyper-car like the Zonda that's almost all carbon-fibre.

Then again, if ya actually HAVE a Zonda, or an Aventador or some such, you're probably not 'too' worried about the cost of a ticket, LOL. :laugh:

Hexlobular

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    SWI
    When I was a kid and got stuck at a light, I would just hop off the bike and walk it through the intersection if no other vehicles were coming. That was probably more dangerous than blowing the light...

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Correct. The other motorcycle related law goes into effect on Jan 1.

HEA 1343 ? Motor Driven Cycles | Indiana Juvenile Justice Blog

I can't exactly figure out how this affect me, but scooters will require licence plates and operators will have to have an ID.

This is why I will vote to replace Milo Smith as our local state Rep. He really wanted the scooter bill.

Seriously, is there some major rash of accidents that are crying out to stem the ocean of blood running in the streets? Or is this just classic "thereoughttabealawagainstit"?

Meanwhile, DUI folks who depend on these for transportation to an actual job to be a productive citizen now get more hassled.

This kind of stuff makes me more Libertarian, because it's about as justifiable a governmental intervention as licensing barbers. Which is to say, not at all.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I did this a couple of years ago in a car. I sat thru several cycles of the lights at the intersection and finally cautiously with full attention on the roads I was entering against the light, ran the red light. I was so focused on the cross streets that I didn't notice the cop sitting behind me!:laugh: He was cool about it fully understanding my predicament, he even pointed out that it was obvious I was focusing on the cross streets since I didn't notice him behind me. He didn't even give me a verbal warning, he just told me not to pull so far forward next time.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    This is why I will vote to replace Milo Smith as our local state Rep. He really wanted the scooter bill.

Seriously, is there some major rash of accidents that are crying out to stem the ocean of blood running in the streets? Or is this just classic "thereoughttabealawagainstit"?

Meanwhile, DUI folks who depend on these for transportation to an actual job to be a productive citizen now get more hassled.

This kind of stuff makes me more Libertarian, because it's about as justifiable a governmental intervention as licensing barbers. Which is to say, not at all.

Why is requiring a license which presumably would require insurance a bad thing? They got the DUI for a reason, their punishment SHOULD prevent them from operating any type of vehicle that requires them to be on a road. It's called punishment for a reason, when you see them on their little scooters blithely ignoring stop signs and lights, weaving thru stopped traffic, stopping in the middle of the traffic lane to tie a shoe or running down the road with three people on it so that it is barely moving and causing a traffic jam, you find it hard to have sympathy for them. When they lose their license they should lose their privilege to be on the road! For the record I've witnessed all the mentioned problems and more from them. It's obvious that most of them haven't learned anything.

Top Bottom