• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    What your thoughts on the risk/benefit of stun/kill re: the ability to remotely kill a stolen radio that is coded to your frequency hopping vs the ability of a third party to kill all your radios by spoofing the kill command?

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    To be honest I have not given it much thought. With these radios I will wait till I actually get one hands on to see how the hype compares to reality.

In my house though the probability is higher that one of the kids will kill on accident.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    I'm fairly new to the civilian radio scene. What is the different between those new radios and the Baofengs on the market currently? I have a UV-B6 for severe weather / emergencies, but I'm also interested in learning more.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    A warning to the wise.... consider the quality of NCSTAR gun parts and apply them to these radios.....

These radios can be so out of spec, it's not funny. Off frequency spurs.... etc.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I'm fairly new to the civilian radio scene. What is the different between those new radios and the Baofengs on the market currently? I have a UV-B6 for severe weather / emergencies, but I'm also interested in learning more.

Bunch of new features, if I were you I would focus on learning with the radio you have, learn to scan the repeaters, fire, ambulance, hospitals, schools etc in your area. The next radio I would get would be a mobile radio not an HT.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    A little bit more info. Not a fan of linking to ARFCOM but the HAM section there is pretty good. Not the same BS that goes on with the rest of the site.

Anyway...Four new Anytone HT - AR15.COM

It says to get to the GMRS type functions you have to hold down a button while powering on. Farther down it talks about FHSS that isn't really FHSS from other Anytone radios.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Bunch of new features, if I were you I would focus on learning with the radio you have, learn to scan the repeaters, fire, ambulance, hospitals, schools etc in your area. The next radio I would get would be a mobile radio not an HT.

I really need to take my Technician test, but I do scan with the radio after I set it up using Chirp. I was Crypto Linguist in the USAF so most of my experience is on the mil channels.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Take a week or so and just take the practice tests till you are passing them. you will have no problem, and can learn as you go. If you intend to get your general do it at the same time and you may have to actually study.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    A little bit more info. Not a fan of linking to ARFCOM but the HAM section there is pretty good. Not the same BS that goes on with the rest of the site.

Anyway...Four new Anytone HT - AR15.COM

It says to get to the GMRS type functions you have to hold down a button while powering on. Farther down it talks about FHSS that isn't really FHSS from other Anytone radios.

For a radio forum they are pretty decent also not as arrogant as the other ham forums, which are full of engineer fights.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    For a radio forum they are pretty decent also not as arrogant as the other ham forums, which are full of engineer fights.

They are pretty open about sharing projects and ideas too. I like the ECOMM boxes, portable battery boxes, AK-47 style boxes. I've been trying to get time to participate in the weekly Echolink net they have on Friday nights. So far I've not been able to for one reason or another.

I've noticed the arrogance on some of the other forums. Some places aren't very welcoming unless you are an old school ham and carry on every conversation at 1000 wpm CW. I've asked a question before and was answered with "how long have you had your license?" a little over a year. "If you had more experience then you would know then."

I got my General at the same time as my Tech. Right now I don't have an HF system. I'm wanting to change that this spring. Once the winter expenses stop that's high on the list of things to do, until then I'm stuck on VHF/UHF. I have a Yaesu 8800 mounted beside my chair going to an Ed Fong antenna about 35' up. A Yaesu 1900 in a portable box with a N9TAX roll up antenna with it. An FT-60 that sometimes goes with my on trips, a VX-3 that goes everywhere, and a few Baofengs that tag along places where I want a radio just not an expensive one.

I'm still thinking about HF antennas out here. The fields around us are pretty clear and we get some serious straight line winds. A huge antenna on top of the house has been nixed by SWMBO so it sounds like wire is in my future. I've got a lot of reading on HF to do before I make a purchase. A super expensive radio is out of the question, so is upgrading in a year because I made a poor purchase. It's difficult enough to convince the other half the way it is. If I spend $1000 on a radio then say I need to do it again next year, well you will be reading about me in the news.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Take a week or so and just take the practice tests till you are passing them. you will have no problem, and can learn as you go. If you intend to get your general do it at the same time and you may have to actually study.

True story. I got my technician and general in one swell foop, way back when. I missed Extra by a very few points with mostly guessing, but a year or so later, I sat down and did Extra practice tests until I could pass that also.

The downside: I didn't learn the material and don't know a bloody thing about how stuff works now, I just learned how to pass a test. I would love to really know what I was doing. I have a UV-5R, but the only thing I know about it is that when I transmit, I need to give my call sign at the beginning and end of the contact, and every 10 minutes during. Result: I think I've sent exactly one transmission, and that was during a weekly ARES test broadcast, confirming I was there for it. If you're going to learn, I suggest really learning the material, not just passing the test.

:twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    They are pretty open about sharing projects and ideas too. I like the ECOMM boxes, portable battery boxes, AK-47 style boxes. I've been trying to get time to participate in the weekly Echolink net they have on Friday nights. So far I've not been able to for one reason or another.

I've noticed the arrogance on some of the other forums. Some places aren't very welcoming unless you are an old school ham and carry on every conversation at 1000 wpm CW. I've asked a question before and was answered with "how long have you had your license?" a little over a year. "If you had more experience then you would know then."

I got my General at the same time as my Tech. Right now I don't have an HF system. I'm wanting to change that this spring. Once the winter expenses stop that's high on the list of things to do, until then I'm stuck on VHF/UHF. I have a Yaesu 8800 mounted beside my chair going to an Ed Fong antenna about 35' up. A Yaesu 1900 in a portable box with a N9TAX roll up antenna with it. An FT-60 that sometimes goes with my on trips, a VX-3 that goes everywhere, and a few Baofengs that tag along places where I want a radio just not an expensive one.

I'm still thinking about HF antennas out here. The fields around us are pretty clear and we get some serious straight line winds. A huge antenna on top of the house has been nixed by SWMBO so it sounds like wire is in my future. I've got a lot of reading on HF to do before I make a purchase. A super expensive radio is out of the question, so is upgrading in a year because I made a poor purchase. It's difficult enough to convince the other half the way it is. If I spend $1000 on a radio then say I need to do it again next year, well you will be reading about me in the news.

On the other side of that, you could sell the first $1000 radio to free up some funds for the second one. Just a thought.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    On the other side of that, you could sell the first $1000 radio to free up some funds for the second one. Just a thought.

We both know that, but 5 years down the road if the roof needs replaced (and it will) all SWMBO will remember is I bought 2 radios that were both expensive just so I could talk to people overseas that I will never meet.

Ya know ya can do that with email right? And WTF is up with all the wires strung around? I better not trip on those.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I picked up my FT-857D for $500 used, and am using OCFD in my attic.

I have a diamond x50a painted grey set that stands 6 feet above the roof not very noticeable. A Jpole in the attic as back up.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I thought the testing did not teach me anything on how to use a radio. The safety stuff was good. I the rest I just learned by doing and the internet.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Nice!

Go to miklor.com for how to program it using chirp, always the the very latest daily build of chirp. Once you get a radio to computer connection let me know I will send you a programming file for your area.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Nice!

Go to miklor.com for how to program it using chirp, always the the very latest daily build of chirp. Once you get a radio to computer connection let me know I will send you a programming file for your area.

Thank you for the kind offer! It's on my "to do" list in the section of things that will actually get done.

Top Bottom