• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CombatVet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bartholomew County
    Yeah, it's another one of those threads. I've got about $400 to spend on a hand gun. I know pretty much jack about non military firearms. I've shot only a few handgun calibers. I like .40 as the biggest probably. The calibers I have in mind are .40, 9mm, or .22 I'm also looking for something small that I can carry in my pants pocket (with a holster of course). Or at the very least something slim enough to fit into a waste band holster. So what are your suggestions?

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I'd suggest a G19 or a S&W 3913 sticking with the caliburs you list.

Beyond that and especially for people new to guns, I'd recomend a S&W 66 or 686 (357 mag) with a 4" barrel.

Infantrylife has one in the classifieds at a fari price and right in what you say you want to spend.

LRHostetler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    For $400 I think the highest quality pistol you can get is a Glock. They don't make one that'll ride in you pocket very well, unless you're a lot bigger than me, but they work nicely IWB. I've got a Glock 26 that I carry IWB and it conceals nicely even on my 6' 145 pound frame.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Do you already have a handgun?

22s are nice for a range toy if you want to shoot alot for cheap, but not really the best for self defense. My EDC is a Glock 27 and I carry IWB and it is very comfortable to me. I couldnt carry it in a pocket, but some people can. My pocket gun is a Keltec P32. Your price range should give you a decent variety to choose from. Also dont rule out the snubbie revolver, great guns!
    Good luck with your decision. :ingo:

sertboy354

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    West Lafayette, IN
    I pick of a American Clasic at the last 1500 1911 45 ACP 8rd Mag very slim easy to put in your waist band new in the box for 412.00 from Paris and Paris gunshop in Frankfort IN

OAK

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    TH
    Def a glock 17 or 19 I'm a huge believer in the Glock format! But go see what best fits you.

LRHostetler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    If you're considering a snub-nose, Midwest Gun Exchange frequently has Smith and Wesson Airweights on sale for $399. My sister just picked up a model 442 a month or so ago. I've been tossing around the idea of getting one for an ankle gun.

kaforgey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    Camden
    For $400 you can buy just about any size Springfield Xd with the essential package (just gun, 2 mags, lock, and cleaning brush)

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    The Kel-Tec PF-9 will fit in the pocket, works great in the waistband, all around good gun. The folks who shot mine at the NWI INGO shoot were surprised at how smooth the trigger is. Great little gun.

Chris-B

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    For $400 I think the highest quality pistol you can get is a Glock. They don't make one that'll ride in you pocket very well, unless you're a lot bigger than me, but they work nicely IWB. I've got a Glock 26 that I carry IWB and it conceals nicely even on my 6' 145 pound frame.

+1 on the Glock 26. I carry mine IWB or I have a cargo pocket holster I use when wearing cargos. Easier to draw than an ankle holster and the most comfortable carry I have experienced.

PeacekeeperMX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    I'd stick with 9mm for the affordable practice ammo if you shoot much. I agree with the used glock or possibly a SIG. Lots of 225 and 226 police trade ins out there for a decent price.

Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    I realize you didn't mention .380 but it is a good round for pocket carry. I have the new Taurus tcp .380 and like it very much. The trigger feels better than other small pocket guns I have shot. It's worth a look.

Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    Save just a little more and get a M&P. It would be worth the extra. I bought one a few months ago and I love it. I looked at them for two years before I came up with the cash. Worth the wait.:twocents:

robbran144

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    southside/greenwood
    while im a Glock fan,ive been thinking about purchasing a kahr....in your price range...maybe a few dollars over you could get the cw40....im looking at the pm9 or pm40 but they are a little steeper in price....

Top Bottom