• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dhnorris

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    hidden in a wall of mud
    I want to replace my air source heat pump this spring with a higher efficeincy (spic) unit this spring. This will be replacement of the outside unit only. I know that they will try to replace my inside unit as well, i don't think it's needed but I will listen to advice. What brands suck and what is good enough? tia

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Are heat pumps really a wise choice this far north? When I first moved up here 11 years ago we froze our butts off thanks to a heat pump. If you have to use the backup source for heat for any temps below freezing seems like you only have a few weeks at best that you're saving any money.

The only way that I've seen that a heat pump might work around here is if you're using a geothermal interfaced system.

Not an hvac tech but have done a "little" research.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    I have a 17.5 seer Bryant heat pump system with all the bells and whistles. I had baseboard heat and it cut my electric bill in half. If you are any where near Martinsville I can get you in touch with the guy who did mine. Very trustworthy guy.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Are heat pumps really a wise choice this far north? When I first moved up here 11 years ago we froze our butts off thanks to a heat pump. If you have to use the backup source for heat for any temps below freezing seems like you only have a few weeks at best that you're saving any money.

The only way that I've seen that a heat pump might work around here is if you're using a geothermal interfaced system.

I've got a geo and the breakers for the strip heaters are shut off. It helps that my house is rated at energy star 5+.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Fellow INGOer DocIndy quoted and installed a new heat pump system in my house last year. Undercut the next best quote by several hundred dollars, and has been nothing but pleasant to deal with. Drop him a line!

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    I believe that mine is a Trane. It is great as long as it stays above about 20 degrees or so and the aux heat doesnt kick on. Then it gets expensive.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield

Not done enough research lately have you.:D

Three years ago when the airport was doing all the sound proofing work to my house, one of the added bonuses they did was also replace your furnace and central air with a more efficient unit to entice you to stay in side more in the summer to not call them and biotch about overhead noise.

I upgraded the 96% efficient gas furnace to a hybrid system and had them swap out the 13 seer AC unit for a 16seer/9.0 HSPF unit.

The heat pump provides plenty of heat until it drops below 15 degrees and then the gas backup kicks in.

Between the two I my summer cooling bills have dropped 33-45% depending on how hot it is, and my winter heating dropped drastically.

My normal Jan bill was 475.00 to 550.00 for natural gas alone for the month. My highest gas bill since the new install has been 225.00 with only 20% higher electric bill and alot of that is because of us running a electric heater in my sunroom because I don't get enough airflow in there from a single 8 inch duct combined with the 11 windows and 1 full length glass door.

In the last 3 years the efficiency ratings have jumped tremendously, so research all models and dealers and you'll come out ahead both money and peace of mind.

Also one thing to note in case there is some interest in not replacing a entire system.

They make ductless systems that can be used in multiple rooms and it is amazing at the ratings that some have.

I'm planning putting one in the sunroom before spring and I'm looking at a couple of models that is a 14,000 BTU 21 seer AC rating and a 18,000 BTU 10 HSPF heat pump rating.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    I live in an apartment with a heatpump.. my first experiance with it. My normal electric bill in my last apartment with electric heat was $100-150. The highest its been in the new apartment has been $100, and that was just last month.

I'm pretty well sold on the concept of them. I don't think EmHeat has kicked on yet though, its been pretty mild up here in Kokomo. If I were to build a house though, I would definatly look into geothermal. I used to build the pump units at GeoFlow in Bedford and always thought that was a pretty amazing idea.
    Protip: Most pump units are identical among brands.. the only difference is the sticker. We built them for 3 big companies, and threw all 3 stickers in the box. :D

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Just replaced my 16 yr old WaterFurnace geothermal unit with a newer more efficient model. Worst electric bill one January was $250. Thats a 24x36x2 story log home with a full basement. Lots of big double pane casement windows. And it was cold and we didn't use the wood stove that month. Usual bill is under $150 in the winter. Around $100 in the summer. It heats the hot water when there is extra heat left over. I'm pretty sold on it. Plus the REMC is giving a $1000 rebate and the federal gubmint is giving a 30% tax credit on geothermal systems.:rockwoot:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Not done enough research lately have you.:D

Three years ago when the airport was doing all the sound proofing work to my house, one of the added bonuses they did was also replace your furnace and central air with a more efficient unit to entice you to stay in side more in the summer to not call them and biotch about overhead noise.

I upgraded the 96% efficient gas furnace to a hybrid system and had them swap out the 13 seer AC unit for a 16seer/9.0 HSPF unit.

The heat pump provides plenty of heat until it drops below 15 degrees and then the gas backup kicks in.

Between the two I my summer cooling bills have dropped 33-45% depending on how hot it is, and my winter heating dropped drastically.

My normal Jan bill was 475.00 to 550.00 for natural gas alone for the month. My highest gas bill since the new install has been 225.00 with only 20% higher electric bill and alot of that is because of us running a electric heater in my sunroom because I don't get enough airflow in there from a single 8 inch duct combined with the 11 windows and 1 full length glass door.

In the last 3 years the efficiency ratings have jumped tremendously, so research all models and dealers and you'll come out ahead both money and peace of mind.

Also one thing to note in case there is some interest in not replacing a entire system.

They make ductless systems that can be used in multiple rooms and it is amazing at the ratings that some have.

I'm planning putting one in the sunroom before spring and I'm looking at a couple of models that is a 14,000 BTU 21 seer AC rating and a 18,000 BTU 10 HSPF heat pump rating.

You're right most of my info is pushing 10 years old. We have been tossing around the idea of geothermal the last couple of years. We're starting to dig ourselves out of the hole that resulted in buying/selling a house 3 1/2 years ago, right at the start of the downturn.

Our front yard is 3/4 acre alone so I know we have the room for geothermal and I'm fairly certain it will be going in fall of '13, that is if the mayans were just pulling a big practical joke.:laugh::laugh:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The indoor coil has to be changed for you to get the high efficiency rating you are seeking. I am an HVAC tech. with 40 plus years in the field. The new systems are balanced pieces. The indoor coils have more surface area to gain the efficiency. Use who you wish for this but you may have to change both inside and outdoor units as well as the line set.
    You will be wasting your money with any less effort.

PM for more info if desired.

inxs

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    Geothermal is the best, especially with the rising electric rates and surcharges. You can go vertical with the loop if you don't have the space....

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    I want to replace my air source heat pump this spring with a higher efficeincy (spic) unit this spring. This will be replacement of the outside unit only. I know that they will try to replace my inside unit as well, i don't think it's needed but I will listen to advice. What brands suck and what is good enough? tia

Good luck with that, the only R22 equipment you will find is leftover stock since the EPA closed the loop-hole for "dry shipped" R22 equipment as of Jan 1st. Besides you will not get the effiency of ANY unit unless you replace both indoor and outdoor unit since the AEFU/SEER is based apon a matched system. Any new unit will be R410a which means a whole new system, and if that isn't good enough get ready for sticker shock if you keep the old unit and need to recharge it with R22..........R22 has tripled in price since Jan 1st and the price is still climbing. Like R12, R22 is going to get very pricey and we all have the EPA and tree huggers to thank for this.
    :twocents:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Good luck with that, the only R22 equipment you will find is leftover stock since the EPA closed the loop-hole for "dry shipped" R22 equipment as of Jan 1st. Besides you will not get the effiency of ANY unit unless you replace both indoor and outdoor unit since the AEFU/SEER is based apon a matched system. Any new unit will be R410a which means a whole new system, and if that isn't good enough get ready for sticker shock if you keep the old unit and need to recharge it with R22..........R22 has tripled in price since Jan 1st and the price is still climbing. Like R12, R22 is going to get very pricey and we all have the EPA and tree huggers to thank for this.
    :twocents:

My original point. Matched pieces and line size different on some units. Pressures are higher with 410 and the lines should be changed out regardless.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    2000? 3000? ducts would stay, tri level just outside of greencastle

Have to see it. Get square footage etc. I get out that way often and will be in Roachdale tomorrow. Looking is free.

Just read, 2400 square ft. Is the existing unit a 3 ton or larger?? would have to be for the area served.

Top Bottom