• ...and so much more!
  • longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Witnessed this tactic this morning.

Stand in front of the drivers door when the person goes in to pay for gas or purchase items to drink or eat. When they come back out, ask for money. It doesn't work very well with men, but it really works on the women. It was so bad at the gas station, ladies were waiting them out in the building or asking men to walk them out.

Even the store clerks would not chase them off. A group of them were also waiting at the door.

I also have observed an increased police level around the shelter on the south side, in the park by the post office and in that general area.

The homeless shelter now has a "caged pen" to keep the shelter users away from the road and the used car dealership. It really looks like a cage and a police officer was watching them this morning.

Anyone else experience this new ploy?

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Freedom , yes really Freedom
    thanks for the heads up (i will warn the wife) , i haven't had the gas station ambush yet, but i did have the window washer ambush for the first time in Bloomington this year , i didnt give him anything for washing my window with his water/urine/stolen gas station wash/ etc

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    i used to have to take the bus from there over to ivy tech...lots of homeless....rode on the bus with some questionable ppl as well....pimps who pay with meth was my guess...

as bad as indy is, ive never quite been that close to those kind of shenanigans up here...maybe its because i dont have to ride the bus up here :dunno:

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    Well the sheep have been polluted to think we can't be mean or offend anyone. They live in America if they haven't decided to work for a living they never will. i was downtown indy and some stupid couple was trying to say they were stranded while holding a little baby outside for hours.i walk by 5 minutes later and he tried it again.pathetic! I like telling them to get a job or something worse depending on my mood. 0% tolerance

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    This is one reason we carry the pepper spray isn't it?

Wait...

You mean to tell me that there are OTHER devices and *GASP* maybe even techniques other than Gun-Fu?????

Perish the thought, sir.

Good day. I SAID GOOD DAY!

-J-

GMtoblat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    Crane
    I was startled one early morning walking up the stairs of the Fountain Sqaure mall parking garage in the winter, and an old lady was hunched up right by the door trying to stay warm. Wasn't aggresive or anything just staying out of the cold, but woke me up to the fact I need to keep alert at all times, I'm not much of a morning person.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    GF was at a gas station ready to pull off after filling her tank. She noticed a bum standing next to the rear of her car in her mirror. She pulled off watching him in the mirror and watched him knee her car and then lay down on the ground. She decided to stop and get out just in case. He then starts saying she hit him and to give him some money or he's going to call the police. She asks if he's alright and that she'll call an ambulance for him. He then says to just give him $30. Once again she asks if he is hurt and if so will call an ambulance. He refuses to answer and keeps asking for cash. She finally knows for sure it's just a ruse and gets in the car to leave. Looking in her rear view mirror, she sees the bum holding out a finger towards his cell phone as a last ditch effort to warn her he's calling the police. Effing bums.

random_eyes

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2009
    Right before Christmas I was tricked by a Fix-a-flat scam in the Best Buy parking lot on the east side of Bloomington. Young man with a southern accent accosted me in the rain, said he had some change but needed $6.50 for a can of fix-a-flat to get his wife back to Indy. It was raining, I was in a hurry, and fell for it. As I was leaving, I saw him meet up with his buddy-- I swear he was skipping with joy over the $20 I gave him. Merry Christmas scammer.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    I had to harden my heart for pan handlers. Throughout my life, I've given and given. I've been scammed out of lots of money as a new recruit out on the town. I've given to street beggars out of emotion and guilt from California to Chicago to New York. I came to the realization that I can't save the world with pocket change and that everyone that asks for handouts has no idea how much Ive given to others already.

I just say no or nothing I have on me is spare or that my children need all the money I have.

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    I was startled one early morning walking up the stairs of the Fountain Sqaure mall parking garage in the winter, and an old lady was hunched up right by the door trying to stay warm. Wasn't aggresive or anything just staying out of the cold, but woke me up to the fact I need to keep alert at all times, I'm not much of a morning person.

Person shot near 73rd and Spring Mill Rd. - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

always be ready...it can happen when youre sipping coffee listening to the morning birds and getting in your car for work

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    GF was at a gas station ready to pull off after filling her tank. She noticed a bum standing next to the rear of her car in her mirror. She pulled off watching him in the mirror and watched him knee her car and then lay down on the ground. She decided to stop and get out just in case. He then starts saying she hit him and to give him some money or he's going to call the police. She asks if he's alright and that she'll call an ambulance for him. He then says to just give him $30. Once again she asks if he is hurt and if so will call an ambulance. He refuses to answer and keeps asking for cash. She finally knows for sure it's just a ruse and gets in the car to leave. Looking in her rear view mirror, she sees the bum holding out a finger towards his cell phone as a last ditch effort to warn her he's calling the police. Effing bums.

Maybe his cell phone bill was overdue.

Top Bottom