• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Religious freedom bill coming to Indiana

I'm not pro-gay,nor am I anti-religion,or vice versa(I realize that it isn't just about gays but that is the biggest issue right now).I'm pro-freedom.I support this bill because it backs up the right to the free exercise of religion and strengthens the Constitution.

Summary for those who don't read the link:
    This bill will allow businesses to deny their services based on their religious convictions.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    But a version of the measure says the state's actions "shall not burden a person's right to exercise of religion," unless the government can demonstrate...

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; ...

Isn't it funny that just like the second amendment, we find ourselves pushing back against infringements of the first.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    ilikewherethisthreadisgoing_zps69aa3e41.jpg

Mm Hmm...

Last edited:

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Isn't it funny that just like the second amendment, we find ourselves pushing back against infringements of the first.

No, it's not funny but it's entirely in character. Don't lose sight that this year (2014) the US Senate tried to pass an amendment to the US Constitution to LIMIT the 1st Amendment. Also note that US Senator from Indiana Joe Donnelly SUPPORTED it.

Senate Democrats Fail to Amend the First Amendment - Hit & Run : Reason.com

Please keep that in mind when he comes up again in 2018. Unfortunately that's still a long way off and unseating incumbents is extraordinarily difficult.

But certainly not impossible!!

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    What is unfortunate is that we have to even have bill proposed to address this situation. Since when are business owners legally required to offer their services to everyone? Clearly there are ADA, equal opportunity, and other laws that pertain to accessibility, hiring practices, etc. But are there currently laws that require a private business owner from refusing service to someone?

TiMMaY

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2014
    Martinsville
    Where do your right end and mine begin? I look at the gay couple being refused service at the bakery the same as the business owner who does not want me to carry a handgun in their store. I will go down the street to the store that wants my money. I love how everyone is just waiting to be offended so they have something to complain about on Facebook.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Who here doesn't support this bill?
    (Devil's advocate here) I have issue that this ONLY addresses sexual orientation. If the bill authors want to free business, free them from ALL discrimination. Why not allow them to refuse service to ethnic groups, genders, religious affiliations, etc? That would be real freedom. I sense pandering on a hot topic.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    (Devil's advocate here) I have issue that this ONLY addresses sexual orientation. If the bill authors want to free business, free them from ALL discrimination. Why not allow them to refuse service to ethnic groups, genders, religious affiliations, etc? That would be real freedom. I sense pandering on a hot topic.

Absolutely. Let's go back to segregated restaurants and the ability to advertise preferred races in houseing ads. Anything less is hating liberty.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Why is this needed in IN? The cases in other states have had state laws making the actions of the businesses illegal. We have no such laws in this state.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Absolutely. Let's go back to segregated restaurants and the ability to advertise preferred races in houseing ads. Anything less is hating liberty.
    Why not? We segregate for other areas of our society.

It is an over-reach of government to dictate to private citizens how they conduct their business, no matter how moral you think the dictate may be.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Why is this needed in IN? The cases in other states have had state laws making the actions of the businesses illegal. We have no such laws in this state.

Douchecanoes. Thats why. If I'm told I'm not welcome because of ___________ I take my business elsewhere. I dont take them to court and force them to take my money when I can just as easily find someone who DOES support my views.

Much like unions arent as necessary as they used to be back in the 19th century thanks to things like OSHA, we dont need people forced to do business with others when its against their moral/religious ethic. This aint Mayberry, Walnut Grove, etc where there is only ONE proprietor to get your good/service from which would prevent you from getting what you need. Now you can virtually walk across the street to find someone who DOES share your views.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    The hospital that I walked into while having a heart attack this spring is affiliated with the Catholic Church. I am glad that a belief in transmutation was not required for treatment.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    This bill will allow businesses to deny their services based on their religious convictions.

Who here doesn't support this bill?

So I would be able to deny police services to anyone that was of a religion I don't practice, support, or agree with? Would police departments be broken down into religious sub-sets instead of districts in order to provide services to the community they cover? Will dispatchers ask for religious affiliation when taking calls for service so that they send the "proper" officer?

IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    So I would be able to deny police services to anyone that was of a religion I don't practice, support, or agree with? Would police departments be broken down into religious sub-sets instead of districts in order to provide services to the community they cover? Will dispatchers ask for religious affiliation when taking calls for service so that they send the "proper" officer?

:+1:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I think an important point is the delineation between critical public services and private enterprise. Should Frank et al be able to deny service during the day as a peace officer, fire fighter, etc.? No. Should he be free to not bake a wedding cake in his after hours profession? Yes. While his "client" cant call another cop, he/she CAN call another baker. That is a critical detail.

If there is competition, discretion should be given to the service provider. If it's a public service or monopoly, no.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana

Good point.... so would any business or government services that receive tax money from it's citizens be exempted from this bill?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom