• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gvbcraig

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 10, 2009
    Southwest Fort Wayne
    I know this is an Indiana Gun Owners Blog, but I'm sure there are East coast folks that visit this blog.

Need some advise.

My sister lives in NJ but works in PA. She has a permit to purchase a handgun to keep in her home in NJ, but really wants to have it on her in her work environment in PA.

Getting a NJ carry permit is like almost impossible. She has PA non resident carry permit.

Question is, how to transport the firearm from home to PA without a NJ carry permit. I remeber reading something about a young man that was transporting firearms to his new place of residence in NJ and was arrested for that.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Arrested, convicted, and sentenced. Only did the governor commute his sentence, but did not pardon him.

I can't give advice save "be very, very careful in NJ when it comes to firearms."

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I know this is an Indiana Gun Owners Blog, but I'm sure there are East coast folks that visit this blog.

Need some advise.

My sister lives in NJ but works in PA. She has a permit to purchase a handgun to keep in her home in NJ, but really wants to have it on her in her work environment in PA.

Getting a NJ carry permit is like almost impossible. She has PA non resident carry permit.

Question is, how to transport the firearm from home to PA without a NJ carry permit. I remeber reading something about a young man that was transporting firearms to his new place of residence in NJ and was arrested for that.

This is going to sound like I'm being a smarta**. I am not.

Move to PA (or some other free state). Get the hell out of NJ.

I mean this in complete seriousness. If she is working in PA, it would be a shorter drive to work, probably a nicer home for less money, and lower taxes, plus better laws under which to live.

If there is some compelling reason to stay there, she should weigh the risks and benefits of both and determine just how compelling that reason is compared with a daily risk of her life.

Again, not being sarcastic or a smartaleck. I know of no good reason to remain in a place like that.

Blessings,
    Bill

PA2Ind

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2011
    St. Joseph Co.
    Being from Philly originally, let me second the advice to be very careful with firearms in NJ. If She can move to PA, I would suggest that. I know of a story, a few years before Bush signed LEOSA of 2004 into law where NJ state troopers arrested PA trooper for carrying on duty in NJ(it was a drug sting I think). Good luck, I know I would carry(legally and unloaded) in IL before I would NJ:dunno:

Last edited:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I fear that some NJ LEOs might choose to disregard that section, ATM, on the grounds that while possession of the firearm is lawful at the PA end of the journey, possession of it is not legal in NJ.

I know it makes no sense. These are the same folks who busted the woman because the airline gave her back her bag in which her firearm was being lawfully transported, IIRC. (I might be confusing cases here. It's been a while and I don't have case cites in front of me.)

All of that said, you're correct that it SHOULD be untouchable.

And in a free society, it would be. :(

Blessings,
    Bill

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I fear that some NJ LEOs might choose to disregard that section, ATM, on the grounds that while possession of the firearm is lawful at the PA end of the journey, possession of it is not legal in NJ.

It is quite legal according to NJ law for her to possess it at her residence, the other end of her journey.

A clear cut case such as this really leaves no room for interpretation. Any disregard would be blatant disregard.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    <New Joisey>Blatant disregard.... so what? You gonna do somethin'? Fuggedaboudit! </New Joisey>

I would not put it past such people to claim that exiting her vehicle and removing the firearm in the parking lot of her apartment or in the driveway (not actually IN her home) was a violation. The facts are irrelevant when the prosecution has nothing to lose (no personal stake in it and the longer it goes, the more money they have) and the defendant has limited resources (as most of us do) made ever smaller the longer it goes.

It's not right. It's just the way things sometimes seem to happen.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I'd be more than willing to fuggedaboudit after the judgement against the poor taxpayers of NJ paid for my move to relocate to PA. :D

sonofagun

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2011
    Bedford, IN
    I'd be more than willing to fuggedaboudit after the judgement against the poor taxpayers of NJ paid for my move to relocate to PA. :D
    If memory serves, US code may be used as a defense against charges brought by NJ but does not negate NJ authority to arrest and charge you with a crime.

Top Bottom