• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Gonna be swinging by Smoky Mtn Knife works next month. Looking for a good folder to buy for hunting season. Would like to stay around 40.00 bucks. Any brands...model anyone suggest. probably carry on my belt.

Its just gonna be all purpose, cut rope misc etc while im hunting..i have a fixed field dressing knife already.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Tenacious-Handle-Folding-Plain/dp/B001EI7578]Amazon.com: Spyderco Tenacious G-10 Handle Folding Plain Edge Knife: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

Fantastic entry level folder, that will hold up to abuse and comes sharp as a razor. Plus you come in a few bucks under budget :D This is a great quality knife for the price, and once you feel/operate one you will not be disappointed.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    Gonna be swinging by Smoky Mtn Knife works next month. Looking for a good folder to buy for hunting season. Would like to stay around 40.00 bucks. Any brands...model anyone suggest. probably carry on my belt.

Its just gonna be all purpose, cut rope misc etc while im hunting..i have a fixed field dressing knife already.

skip buying from knife works and buy from brad. Smoky Mtn knife works is a great place to go and look but, supporting local is always better and most likely cheaper.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    Plain edge? No serrations?

Most 'knife guys' will tell you serrations are a waste of knife blade space. This is because they are very difficult to sharpen, and feel that nearly any task you would need serrations for, a plain edge would work for as well. A plain edge is much easier to care for/resharpen.

I personally like serration on my blades because the 'tearing' action is useful for things like rope. That being said, however, the knife I prefer to carry is a plain edge, and I haven't run into any scenarios where I thought to myself 'man, I wish this blade were partly serrated'. So I'm probably on my way to being converted.

All that being said, they sell a partially serrated version of that knife as well - if you want half and half:
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Tenacious-Handle-Folding-C122GPS/dp/B0017L138E]Amazon.com: Spyderco Tenacious G-10 Handle Folding Combo Edge Knife C122GPS: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

And a fully serrated edge:
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Tenacious-Handle-Folding-Serrated/dp/B00128UD5Q/ref=pd_sim_sg_3]Amazon.com: Spyderco Tenacious G-10 Handle Folding Serrated Edge Knife: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

Also of note - I'm farrrr from a knife expert, so take all of this with a grain of salt.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    Also - I agree with Westside. If you get a chance to go to the Indy 1500 next weekend stop by and visit Brad and Sheila (the knife lady). Not only do they have an awesome selection of equally awesome knives for you to try out, but they are super nice people with great prices.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    Well we are pretty competitive with their prices. Most cases cheaper too.
    Nothing wrong with stopping in there and seeing what they have and what kind of prices.:D

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Anyone have an opinion on a Buck 112 Ranger FG? My in-law had one while camping this weekend...liked the size...and the finger grooves. He said he paid like 39.00 bucks.

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    Amazon.com: Spyderco Tenacious G-10 Handle Folding Plain Edge Knife: Sports & Outdoors

Fantastic entry level folder, that will hold up to abuse and comes sharp as a razor. Plus you come in a few bucks under budget :D This is a great quality knife for the price, and once you feel/operate one you will not be disappointed.

I love my Tenacious. However, it is a liner lock, and those aren't the safest out there. I still carry it (even though it is a little thick)

Look at the Ka-Bar Dozier folding hunter. Great blade profile, light as a feather, 20$, and you can get blaze orange, tan, or whatever floats your boat.

I rotate those two as EDC, I will probably pick up an Endura or Delica at some point, and maybe another Benchmade (I used to carry a mini-pika, another great inexpensive EDC) but for now those two are it. Tons of knife for the $$

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    whats wrong with a liner lock? IMO they are one of the best locks out there next to a full frame lock or a axis lock. they are far safer than any lock back type set up.

I've had two liner locks fail. Yes, they were cheaper knives - one a smith, and one that I can't remember ATM, but I do not believe that regular lock back setups are less stable than liner locks, which, IMO, seem far more apt to disengage, especially when closing the blade, or when dirty. I don't know about 'far safer', and maybe in my case, it's the operator.

I guess if you test it, keep it clean, and your spring steel still springs, then by all means the linerlock is GTG. I just don't prefer them.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    i agree trader. i have never had one fail and don't honestly see how they could. they aren't a frame lock but same principle. as you squeeze/grip the knife tighter the lock engages more. where as a lock back as you grip its much more possible to release the lock. i have had it happen on a couple occasions.

now if your liner lock is breaking i can see that, especially with the cheaper knives

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    i agree trader. i have never had one fail and don't honestly see how they could. they aren't a frame lock but same principle. as you squeeze/grip the knife tighter the lock engages more. where as a lock back as you grip its much more possible to release the lock. i have had it happen on a couple occasions.

now if your liner lock is breaking i can see that, especially with the cheaper knives

Well, my experiences are based on more inexpensive pieces, but they are still experiences. I like the Tenacious, and I haven't had any problems with it. My issue could be operator error and failure to clean/check function.

I have never had a lockback disengage or fail, and i've carried and used more than a few. Working on tires in my early 20's I ran my blades hard at work. The SW and kershaw liners didn't make it, the 20$ benchmade mini-pika did.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Well, my experiences are based on more inexpensive pieces

That's why you should buy quality merch. Cheap stuff often fails regardless of the design, due to poor quality of parts and manufacturing. I'm not saying it has to be something high end like an Emerson, Kershaw and many others are quite affordable.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Generally, linerlocks will be stronger than lockbacks. Axis and frame locks are even stronger, but I think it has more to do with the quality of the knife (materials used and fitting tolerances) than with either design. If you need to do a job that requires enough force to overcome or make the locking mechanism fail, you should be using a fixed blade. Folding knives are nice to carry but in real world any mechanical design/device (lock) can fail.:twocents:

Top Bottom