• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    Tried out some test loads on a new rifle this weekend, thought I would share and maybe get some insights from you all.

The rifle is a Rock River National match upper, 20 inch stainless barrel with a 1 in 8 twist.

We worked up 3 test loads to get us started, 15 rounds to each load.

LC cases, CCI primers, 23.0,23.5, and 24.0 gr of Varget, and a 75gr Hornaday BTHP projectile.

This is our first go at shooting Iron sights on an AR, so we felt we did very well considering.

We were shooting from a lead sled, and were able to get it pretty darn close to right on the money for taking our shots.

Our 23.0 gr load worked best. Both shooters were able to go right around an inch, one group even close to 3/4".

We thought we did well on this load, we had a spread of 68FPS , and a standard deviation of 19.

the 23.5 gr loads were grouping at around 1.5", with a spread of 62 fps, and an SD of 17.

The 24.0 gr loads were grouping 2", with a spread of 44 fps, and and SD of 13.

It surprised us that the 23.0 gr. did so well, since they were only going about 2550 FPS, averaged. A lot of the reading I've done shows people liking this at a faster FPS.

How are the quality of these loads? These have the best Spread and SD I have gotten to date.

This load will be used from 100 to 300 yards for shooting high power. Is the 23 gr. load acceptable for this?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Sound very similar to my results. One of my rifles shows excessive pressure signs at 23.0, the other tolerates 23.6 just fine.

If you are going to shoot highpower, now is the time to stop experimenting with loads and work on your skill set in all three positions. I have seen too many people try to develop the skills and at the same time play with loads. That will make success a lot harder.

Good Luck

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    24.0 Varget or RE-15 with 77 noslers is my 5.56 load. Very accurate in my 10.3" Colt all the way up to my 20" A4. Hot load but accurate and reliable.

Top Bottom