• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Walked into a pawn shop today, its a hobby of mine, sometimes they have treasures!

I was looking loosely for a bolt gun in .308 after shooting a buddies ruger and realizing, this is a part of the firearm world that I have yet to try myself.

Bolt actions for accuracy at long distances.

The treasure I found?! A remington 783. After a little talking, $305 dollars out the door. Made in 2023 practically new.

Now I need a scope and rings and rails and slings.

I have access to roughly 600 yards, (very fortunate, very lucky, and forever thankful)

What do I need in terms of magnification?

Im leaning towards this… but maybe I need to look for a higher magnification?

Keep in mind, Im an entry level marksman, I have an entry level rifle, and Id like my scope to be entry level priced.

Pretend you are me, and you have, lets say, $600 dollars. What scope are you buying?

As always, thank you in advance!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Top number doesn't matter when we talk about "to much scope". Bottom number does.

6x on the bottom end will be a lot when shooting inside of 50. How often do you intend to shoot inside of 50?
    Under 50? With this rifle. Rarely. Unless I end up in a weird spot if i decided to pick up deer hunting.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Under 50? With this rifle. Rarely. Unless I end up in a weird spot if i decided to pick up deer hunting.

Then I wouldn't be scared of this scope at all for 100-600 yard shooting.

Just because you have 24x doesn't mean you have to use it all every range trip, (especially on a FFP).

The down side to a high zoom scope is not to much top end, it's to much bottom end. A 6x bottom end will be no issue for you. If you hunt with it, stick to field edges, or take a different rifle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Then I wouldn't be scared of this scope at all for 100-600 yard shooting.

Just because you have 24x doesn't mean you have to use it all every range trip, (especially on a FFP).

The down side to a high zoom scope is not to much top end, it's to much bottom end. A 6x bottom end will be no issue for you. If you hunt with it, stick to field edges, or take a different rifle
    Ill do a little bit more research.. but I think this is the route i will take

Top Bottom