• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Well, bought a new M&P9 Shield today. After being regaled with stories of how nice the trigger is, I was expecting a, well, nice trigger.:) It is less "crunchy" than my M&P9 fullsize but it breaks real hard. Almost impossible to keep on target kind of hard. Rather than judge it too fast I am going to put a couple hundred rounds through it tomorrow at Roush and see how it breaks in.

Did anyone else who bought this experience anything like this? I think I will take my new Sig 226 Scorpion just in case........

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    Well the Shield is the first "M&P" pistol I bought, shot a couple hundred rounds through it, find the trigger to be acceptable. I dont feel like I am having the same issues you are experiencing...could it be a fluke??

Curious to hear what others have to say?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I've only handled and dry-fired a Shield at Gander Mountain.

OP's assessment of the trigger mirrors my own opinion.

Smoother than a standard M&P, yet much stiffer to release the striker.

-J-

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    For a carry gun, I don't mind the stiffness at the end at all. I haven't had any problems holding mine on target through the break even slow shooting.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Question for M&P & Shield owners:

Is the sear in an M&P the same size/shape as the sear in a Shield????

-J-

rustygunner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Columbus
    I guess I need to go look at one for myself.
    This pistol had gotten onto the short list of easier to conceal than my Commander framed pistol for summer EDC. Hopefully it's something that will either break in some, or will have aftermarket support soon.

Guess I'll hold off for a while before pulling the trigger.

TTB Yeee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Ohio
    The trigger is not bad in my opinion, but I don't have much to compare it to. It doesn't have much creep, and breaks pretty cleanly, just at probably 7lbs or so.

As for Indy_Guy, from what I have read, the compact sear drops right into the shield.

My M&P Shield pics, internals, compare to Kahr CM9, M&P9c, Aprex sear, safety info

For anyone hesitant or comparing, I would tell you to go look at the Shield. I absolutely love it! Exactly what I was looking for.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I find the standard trigger to be dog **** in all M&P's... that includes the pro. One Word: APEX

yeah, that's great.

Unless you are one of those (like me) who don't mess with the carry gun.

There is nothing wrong with the Shield's trigger. The reset is okay as well.

I get the feeling someone just wants to tinker with their new gun and can't stop thinking about it. :popcorn:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    What are people looking for in a trigger? The trigger pulls, breaks, and resets. No, the trigger break is nothing like that a 1911 or resets like a Sig with the SRT, but IMO it's be best small platform I've ever shot. Trigger control is the shooters responsibility.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    yup, it took me about one mag to figure out where the trigger breaks.

It was a little sooner than I was used to with my Glocks, but once I sped up and started shooting some different drills, it didn't matter.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    What are people looking for in a trigger? The trigger pulls, breaks, and resets. No, the trigger break is nothing like that a 1911 or resets like a Sig with the SRT, but IMO it's be best small platform I've ever shot. Trigger control is the shooters responsibility.

Agreed. Is it not in everyone's best interested to learn to perform with any quality or style of trigger? Too many people are under the impression they can't shoot well BECAUSE of a trigger. :popcorn:

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Went shooting with my son today. We went to Hillside to shoot steel instead of Roush. The trigger is VERY crisp with a relatively heavy break but some of you are right that it is different and predictable. Now my problem is this pistol shoots really low. We shot almost 400 rounds through a number of different guns so my hands may have been tired. I will reserve judgement until I can shoot it again with fresh hands.

tgmorris99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Westfield
    Now my problem is this pistol shoots really low.
    Since your avatar shows an M&P I'm assuming you know that the correct sight picture is #3?

picture.php

Top Bottom